PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Qibao, Shanghai.
Beautiful shot, great reflection.
09-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #799
Veteran Member

Some shots from a friends wedding last weekend...I am still trying to get the hang of flash photography.

I feel a little bad about this one, although I didn't intend to, I think i was in the "pros' shot (he's across the way) and may have fouled his exposure with my flash. as you can see we fired at the exact same time...

Last edited by mtroute; 09-16-2010 at 09:07 PM.
09-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #800
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
oliver939 -

Here is the original bridge photo that I took. This is the "properly" exposed JPG right out of the camera:

And here is the HDR image once again. You can see that there is more detail in the bridge, the pylons, and the sky. It might not be a huge impact but overall I like the HDR image better.

09-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #801
Inactive Account

Yeah, im sorry, Im just not into HDR images either. It was kinda cool for a few minutes, then I started to find they really arent an accurate reflection of the subject. The way I look at photography is an extension of something my eye sees, so its taking a snap shot of that moment as you see it (more or less).

HDR's more often than not, are the opposite of that, yes they produce more detail, but its usually more detail than you are actually able to see with the naked eye anyway. Not only that, it usually sacrifices something, such as shadows and subtle tonal highlights that go a long way to project a feel and vibrance through the image. The end result is usually something that, at best, looks slightly other world, at worst, 3d generated, way too saturated and overexposed.

Im not saying they dont have a place in producing some stunning images, Im just saying, I dont like turning everything into an HDR. If you find yourself liking the images overall and utilising the process more often than not, I think you need to take stock of just what you are doing. Its not directed at anyone, just my feeling on HDR images.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

Madhatter--nice shot!
Thanks. It was an amazing church in valencia (spain) funnily enough called, saint mary of valencia cathedral (locals call it seu) Would have loved a tripod, but its just too much to be carrying on holidays.

Im waiting for my new dell to arrive so I can actually resize them in something that doesnt compress the hell out of the images from our holidays, so ill repost later.

Last edited by Madhatter_; 09-16-2010 at 08:06 PM.
09-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #802
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
Beautiful shot, great reflection.
Why Thank You kind Sir !

HDR : personally I love it but it has it's place. There are basically two types ; the over the top Arty type and the natural type that extends the dynamic range of what is achievable with just one shot. So for the Bridge above if e.g. three shots at different exposures are used then the details in the highlights and shadows can be brought out without stepping into the realms of fantasy.

Last edited by Frogfish; 09-16-2010 at 11:35 PM.
09-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #803
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Madhatter_ Quote
Yeah, im sorry, Im just not into HDR images either. It was kinda cool for a few minutes, then I started to find they really arent an accurate reflection of the subject. The way I look at photography is an extension of something my eye sees, so its taking a snap shot of that moment as you see it (more or less).

HDR's more often than not, are the opposite of that, yes they produce more detail, but its usually more detail than you are actually able to see with the naked eye anyway. Not only that, it usually sacrifices something, such as shadows and subtle tonal highlights that go a long way to project a feel and vibrance through the image. The end result is usually something that, at best, looks slightly other world, at worst, 3d generated, way too saturated and overexposed.

Im not saying they dont have a place in producing some stunning images, Im just saying, I dont like turning everything into an HDR. If you find yourself liking the images overall and utilising the process more often than not, I think you need to take stock of just what you are doing. Its not directed at anyone, just my feeling on HDR images.

Same here. This is pretty much my opinion as well. In the above image with the bridges, I believe a simple bump in contrast and a little sharpening and you will have a very realistic fantastic image. ''IMO''
09-19-2010, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #804

The 10-20 at work in Porto Santo, an island near the island of Madeira.
09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #805
Veteran Member

Something a bit different from landscape and architecture:

K100DS, 10-20mm @11mm, 1/30 at f/4.5, ISO 800.
09-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #806
Veteran Member

Whoa! both of the last two photos look great! I need more images to feed my desire for this lens!!!!

I'll be taking receipt of it this week and just cannot wait.
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #807
Pentaxian

older forest

Picasa Web Albums - remsleep - 2010-09-19
Any advice or feedback thank you

Last edited by dstar; 09-21-2010 at 04:36 AM.
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #808
Veteran Member

That beach shot looks great Eric but a little centred. Maybe you might want to try a panorama on it, cut off above the main cloud and lose most of the beach.
09-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #809
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
That beach shot looks great Eric but a little centred. Maybe you might want to try a panorama on it, cut off above the main cloud and lose most of the beach.
I understand what you mean, but despite breaking the rule of thirds, I think it works as is. You know what they say rules are there for...!
09-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
I understand what you mean, but despite breaking the rule of thirds, I think it works as is. You know what they say rules are there for...!

I couldn't agree more. The low perspective allows the shot to work very nicely as presented.

Tim