Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #811
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
rob1234: I understand what you mean, but despite breaking the rule of thirds, I think it works as is. You know what they say rules are there for...!
Nice shot Rob!

QuoteQuote:
EricR: The 10-20 at work in Porto Santo, an island near the island of Madeira.

Nice--some kind of colors! Did you use a polarizer?

09-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #812
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
DaveinPA:It might not be a huge impact but overall I like the HDR image better.
I agree. The thing I like most about HDR is it increases the dynamic range in a shot, bringing it closer to what the eye can see. Sure, it comes at a cost, but the shooter has so much control over the final shot that I am thumbs up--it works to supplement regular images, not replace them.
09-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #813

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Nice--some kind of colors! Did you use a polarizer?

Yes, on my holiday to Madeira the polarizer was surely needed. I think 75% of my holiday shots I used a polarizer.
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #814
Veteran Member

I'm now officially part of the club! can't wait to really take this lens out and have some fun with it, but took some test shots around the office yesterday so here's a couple for now just to get things started. Also, please let me know if you see the second photo. I uploaded it to flickr but made it visible only to me, I want to see if I'm still able to post pics with that setting to this forum and be visible to all. Thanks!

09-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #815
Veteran Member

Sigma 10-20

A few from today. This is our version of a river. Not much I know, but it is all we locals have.

This photo while far from great, I like it because I have my shadow and my thumb of the CPL.

Under the over pass

Through the over pass

My twins throwing rocks

The writing on the wall
09-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #816
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Irishwhite, I like the boss. good shot IMO. I haven't been very active here lately, but that's just because of doing monthly challenge with 50/1.2. Haven't used other lens for a while now, but in October I think I'll be back in the boat
09-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #817
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
I'm now officially part of the club! can't wait to really take this lens out and have some fun with it, but took some test shots around the office yesterday so here's a couple for now just to get things started. Also, please let me know if you see the second photo. I uploaded it to flickr but made it visible only to me, I want to see if I'm still able to post pics with that setting to this forum and be visible to all. Thanks!
Hey just wanted to let you know, the second image shows up to us.

I have my eye on one of these lenses. Quick question:

If you do a stitched together panorama shot with this, does the wide angle cause some strange distortion in the final panorama?

09-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #818
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Hey just wanted to let you know, the second image shows up to us.

I have my eye on one of these lenses. Quick question:

If you do a stitched together panorama shot with this, does the wide angle cause some strange distortion in the final panorama?
Thanks for confirming!

and I can only imagine that shooting panorama with this lens would be a lot more work than it's worth. Although I guess that if you were to apply the exact same distortion correction settings to each individual file photoshop may be able to handle the rest of the work automagically. I should give it a try!
09-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #819
Veteran Member

Let me know what results you get if you do. I do most of my PP in Lightroom 3, which makes it really easy to mass apply correction settings based on EXIF data so if they can be stitched, then it will be one more reason for me to get this lens.
09-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #820
Veteran Member

Let me know what results you get if you do. I do most of my PP in Lightroom 3, which makes it really easy to mass apply correction settings based on EXIF data so if they can be stitched, then it will be one more reason for me to get this lens.
Okay, so i've given it a quick try and I'll show you the results. First picture is what Photoshop gave me with no corrections or any adjustments made. Just opened the raw file in Camera Raw and saved as JPG's. Then imported the jpgs into photoshop and used their automated panorama configuration to do the work.

Second photo is the picture itself cropped for maximum size. Also this was done at 10mm to show you how extreme the distortion would be on a pano. Hope this helps. I also did one at 20mm but now my lunch is over so I don't know if I will be able to spend any more time playing with photoshop :-)

09-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #821
Veteran Member

Alright, well thanks a lot, I would like to use it on the 10mm end to do the panoramas anyhow, currently I use my kit lens on 18mm for my panoramas so I would have to imagine 20mm would be better on this lens than 18 on my kit. That is actually a perfect test photo because there are different items at both the foreground and at infinity, not just a sunset shot at infinity or something. I think this lens will work for me because when I do panoramas, I tend to be shooting landscapes, not really close stuff like the cars in the foreground, and at a distance, the distortion is what you could expect from any panorama it seems to me. Thanks so much for using your lunch to test it out!
09-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #822
Veteran Member

Alright, well thanks a lot, I would like to use it on the 10mm end to do the panoramas anyhow, currently I use my kit lens on 18mm for my panoramas so I would have to imagine 20mm would be better on this lens than 18 on my kit. That is actually a perfect test photo because there are different items at both the foreground and at infinity, not just a sunset shot at infinity or something. I think this lens will work for me because when I do panoramas, I tend to be shooting landscapes, not really close stuff like the cars in the foreground, and at a distance, the distortion is what you could expect from any panorama it seems to me. Thanks so much for using your lunch to test it out!
Sure thing! any excuse to use the lens is a great excuse to me!

Seriously though, if you're thinking about spending gobs on money on lenses might as well pick up a used k-x for ~$400ish. I got really lucky and bought my for $300 (I have no idea why the woman was selling it so cheap a month after she bought it, although she said she was switching to a K-7). Shooting video with the 10-20 is pretty cool. Then you also would give yourself a lot of leeway as far as cropping out some foreground. Also, at 10mm, you probably won't need to do a whole lot of "pano" shooting as it's damn wide already!
09-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #823
Veteran Member

The only way I think I'll pick up a k-x is if I can find someone willing to trade me one for my k100d and some cash (like $100-$200). Otherwise I will hold out till I can afford a K-5, because I really don't see that much benefit in a k-x over my camera. Many of the stats are the same except a bit better ISO range and more mega-pixels. The k-x of course does other things as well but I really don't have a personal need for video, which to me is one of the other selling points of the k-x. I really feel I am ready to upgrade to the K-5 or a used K-7, it has come to the point where the k100 is limiting me in some ways, but I can't see that the k-x would fix those limitations. My reasoning for spending so much on lenses is that nice lenses with my K100D should yield nicer photographs than a kit lens with a K-5 or K-7 (of course I know it isn't equipment that makes nice photos, it's the photographer, just trying for a comparison). Is this a skewed way to look at it?

Yeah I realized I probably wouldn't need the pano feature, but it would be nice to know I could do it if I wanted to make a really wide panorama or 360 degree image from, the top of the Eiffel Tower of something. Just looking for the most flexibility as possible and wanting to know the limits of what I am going to buy.
09-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #824
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
Okay, so i've given it a quick try and I'll show you the results. First picture is what Photoshop gave me with no corrections or any adjustments made. Just opened the raw file in Camera Raw and saved as JPG's. Then imported the jpgs into photoshop and used their automated panorama configuration to do the work.

Second photo is the picture itself cropped for maximum size. Also this was done at 10mm to show you how extreme the distortion would be on a pano. Hope this helps. I also did one at 20mm but now my lunch is over so I don't know if I will be able to spend any more time playing with photoshop :-)
You could also use the selection wand tool and Content Aware fill option to fill the edges. Sometimes it works pretty well, sometimes not. Depends on the pic.

Always worth a shot.
09-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #825
Veteran Member

A couple from me:

Liquid Mono | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

tic followed toc | Flickr - Photo Sharing!