Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #1066
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
mtroute: Some great examples from this lens...
Those are all excellent compositions!

QuoteQuote:
sealonsf Not the most creative use of this lens, but love the way it turned out nevertheless. Taken at Half Moon Bay, California. I enjoy owning this lens.
Very nice shot.

01-25-2011, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #1067
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just sold my sigma 2weeks ago. Im missin the 10mm fov
01-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #1068
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
I just sold my sigma 2weeks ago.
You need to update your signature.
Or better, get the lens again.
01-26-2011, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #1069
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm so happy with this lens that I can't imagine doing without it now. I've even begun to see the world around me as if I'm always looking through it!

Beaver Pond in Early Winter

Skim Ice

01-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #1070

Taken in Taiwan. Enjoying the process in learning to use it

01-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #1071

>90 degree FOV is perfect for Cambodia!

01-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #1072
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
I just sold my sigma 2weeks ago. Im missin the 10mm fov
you can always move back a little or do some stitching.

01-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1073
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you can always move back a little...
Sometimes it isn't possible to move back.
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #1074
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
true, but the scenario he was shooting, definitely he can afford to.
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #1075
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
More importantly, "moving back" is not the same as "lowering the focal length", i.e., one cannot zoom with one's feet.

Otherwise, a fifty and lots of space behind you would be all you need to take wide angle shots.
01-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #1076
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
More importantly, "moving back" is not the same as "lowering the focal length", i.e., one cannot zoom with one's feet.

Otherwise, a fifty and lots of space behind you would be all you need to take wide angle shots.
Well, if you're willing to stitch shots…
01-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #1077
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tamia: I'm so happy with this lens that I can't imagine doing without it now. I've even begun to see the world around me as if I'm always looking through it!

Beaver Pond in Early Winter
I think my travels have brought me past this pond, though, in its Winter garb, I can't be sure--can you reveal the trail which provides access to this beautiful scene? BTW, I do day trips. on the weekends, to the Whites, Catskills, & Berkshires---which can give me anywhere from 6.5 to 9 or 10 hours driving time-still leaving me 8 or more hours to hike and get back home for a sleep in my own bed. However, the ADKs, at least the High PEaks, are just a tiny bit out of range for a day trip, especially if I were to hit any traffic at all. So, what this means, I have not yet done any Winter hiking in the ADKs, though I do not rule it out.

That pond is beautiful--great capture.

QuoteQuote:
JHD: Sometimes it isn't possible to move back.
Yes, particularly in the tight quarters where UWA shines.

QuoteQuote:
richardm >90 degree FOV is perfect for Cambodia!
Cool scenery--tx.

QuoteQuote:
Tamia I'm so happy with this lens that I can't imagine doing without it now.
Yes, precisely how I feel--the lens has a certain something to it--can not put my finger on it yet. Sometimes LBA can be a blessing!
01-28-2011, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #1078
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I think my travels have brought me past this pond, though, in its Winter garb, I can't be sure--can you reveal the trail which provides access to this beautiful scene? BTW, I do day trips. on the weekends, to the Whites, Catskills, & Berkshires---which can give me anywhere from 6.5 to 9 or 10 hours driving time-still leaving me 8 or more hours to hike and get back home for a sleep in my own bed. However, the ADKs, at least the High PEaks, are just a tiny bit out of range for a day trip, especially if I were to hit any traffic at all. So, what this means, I have not yet done any Winter hiking in the ADKs, though I do not rule it out.

That pond is beautiful--great capture...
Thanks, Jewelltrail. It really is a little gem, that beaver pond. I don't think this is the pond you've seen, since it's on private land and the owner prefers not to say exactly where. I can say it's in the northern Adirondacks, and it's quite a lot like so many other little beaver ponds in the region.

We haven't had as much snow in the NW and northern 'dacks as the folks downstate and on the coast. But there's plenty for snowshoeing and skiing.

Here's the pond in mid-December after the heaviest storms brought about two feet overall (it's since melted and more has fallen, but not this much):

Taken with the 18mm end of the kit lens (too darned cold to put on my Sig). The rest of these are of the same pond earlier in the winter, shot with the Sig:

Blue Sky Thinking

Dark is Falling

Remains of Dinner

01-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #1079
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tamia: Thanks, Jewelltrail. It really is a little gem, that beaver pond. I don't think this is the pond you've seen, since it's on private land and the owner prefers not to say exactly where. I can say it's in the northern Adirondacks, and it's quite a lot like so many other little beaver ponds in the region.
One could say if you 've seen one beaver pond in the ADKs, you've seen em all, but the one saying that would not be me. There are some fascinating facts, as I"m sure you know, about the "Dacks."

--the Park was initially started to protect the water resources of New York state
--6.1 million acre Adirondack park covers a total area greater than the state of Vermont.
--Of this, 2.7 million acres are publicly owned
--the publicly owned section is protected as "forever wild" by the constitution of New York state: this is the only US park to have earned such protection.
--the"Dacks" are the largest park in the contiguous US
--Most of the park is prvately owned, but, through easements, the private sections are open to all, & lightly developed
--the boundaries between private, state & wilderness are often murky

So many of us are very grateful for the private contribution to this park. Many trailheads can only be accessed via private property. In general, the system works with a high degree of harmony, though problems do occur. I am impressed by people who open the gates to their land for the betterment of all. These people are clearly in tune with the reverence the land emanates, and with the fact that nobody actually owns it, or any land on the planet for that matter.

Excellent pics.
01-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #1080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I've even begun to see the world around me as if I'm always looking through it!
Yep, that lens will do that to you!