Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #1201
Inactive Account

I just make sure everything is insured, so if it gets trashed, atleast im not out of pocket. I took that westminster abbey shot handheld too, no tripod. Cheers, ive always found the bigma can be really sharp and produce some amazing images, a lot of people just seem to have problems with them? should see some of the church photos I got from spain (still have to go through them), stunning on a whole different level.

Kind of like this one I took a couple of weeks ago in singapore. Its the marina bay sands complex they finished recently, stunning building. Sun was just in the right position to give the photo a rendered look, not sure if its a photo or cgi

Last edited by Madhatter_; 03-14-2011 at 01:31 AM.
03-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #1202
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Madhatter_ Quote
I just make sure everything is insured, so if it gets trashed, atleast im not out of pocket. I took that westminster abbey shot handheld too, no tripod. Cheers, ive always found the bigma can be really sharp and produce some amazing images, a lot of people just seem to have problems with them? should see some of the church photos I got from spain (still have to go through them), stunning on a whole different level.

Kind of like this one I took a couple of weeks ago in singapore. Its the marina bay sands complex they finished recently, stunning building. Sun was just in the right position to give the photo a rendered look, not sure if its a photo or cgi
Nice shot, but ain't the bigma the Sigma 50-500mm and not the 10-20mm?
03-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #1203
Inactive Account

Could be, but have you seen the size of the 10-20? its a tank. Who the hell uses 77mm filters
03-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #1204
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Could be, but have you seen the size of the 10-20? its a tank. Who the hell uses 77mm filters
I own 3. 2 UV(0)'s and 1 CPL for use with my Sigma 10-20 and 135-400. Lens protection and polarizing effect

03-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #1205
Veteran Member

All of mine are 77mm. I only need one set. Step-up rings are waaaaay less expensive than filters. Sometimes it pays to be cheap.
03-14-2011, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #1206

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10mm+ CPL

\

10mm+ CPL + GradND

03-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #1207
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
All of mine are 77mm. I only need one set. Step-up rings are waaaaay less expensive than filters. Sometimes it pays to be cheap.
problem with the 10-20 is vignetting. Can cause problems even when stacking filters.

03-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #1208
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not me, 77mm filters won't fit my 10-20. I've got the F3.5 HSM version, and that takes 82mm filters
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #1209
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
qtopplings: I don't understand why people complain about UPS. I order a LOT of stuff online. I probably get 5+ shipments from Amazon alone per month. And maybe once in the last year has my package come late. My UPS guy delivers consistently around 5pm, which sucks when you're eagerly awaiting a new lens But it still amazes me that all of these packages get to their destination, on time, almost every time. Just think about the logistics involved, next time you want to bitch about it....
This is not a place for business, but I'll say this last bit & go silent on the matter. UPS started in busines in 1907 & has expanded ever since. Some typical management talk in a communications meeting goes like this:

"Yesterday we made 15 million deliveries, @ 99.23 % effective. That means 115,500 customers were mis-serviced! (15,000,000 times 99.23%=14,884,500. Therefore, the other 115,500 are service failures) @ UPS, we do not have a product to sell, we only have a service to provide! 115,500 unhappy customers is unacceptable--we must get better."

Many of the sevice failures are the result of Shipper error. For example they may:

Not affix tracking label securely--it gets torn off in transit
Forget to affix an addressee label--
Not package properly--causing damage to the parcel
Not use a %100 accurate address--causing delay in delivery
Not select the proper service--causing delay or worse
the list goes on--
BTW, parcels which must clear customs are vulerable to a host of new dangers to service failures--too numerous to list.

Enough shop--camera time!!! Yeah

---------- Post added 03-14-11 at 11:45 PM ----------

Cool shot, almost looks like the Sun collided with the top corner of the building & is pushing it over. LOL When I was 4, this is the conclusion I would have drawn.

QuoteQuote:
Madhatter: problem with the 10-20 is vignetting. Can cause problems even when stacking filters.
One would think so, but I do not get problems with vignetting. A good example is the 3rd shot of Silver Elantra, just above. He has stacked a ND & CPL, but the shot has no evidence of vignetting, at least not at this size.

Hey, Silver Elantra, did you crop the corners of that great shot, or PP out the vignetting? All of the shots are very nice, but the last one is tinkering with outstanding.

QuoteQuote:
Bimjo: All of mine are 77mm. I only need one set. Step-up rings are waaaaay less expensive than filters. Sometimes it pays to be cheap.
I am thinking about going this route--makes sense--big difference from being cheap and being smart, though many would disagree on what is what, especially here @ PF.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-14-2011 at 08:47 PM.
03-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #1210
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Not me, 77mm filters won't fit my 10-20. I've got the F3.5 HSM version, and that takes 82mm filters
Haha. Its actually a bit of a chore traveling with a lense so physically big to be honest. Heavy, but takes up a load of space. I usually only travel with 3 lenses in an over shoulder kata bag, so not big on space. I remember buying the 10-20 years ago and Hoya Pro 1D filters were about $200 each in 77mm, good thing prices came down a bit, set of 82mm filters could cost more than the bloody lense!
03-15-2011, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #1211

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hey, Silver Elantra, did you crop the corners of that great shot, or PP out the vignetting?
Errr... I don't know how to PP out the vignetting in Lightroom and most of my shots with this lens are cropped slightly to straighten the horizon. Honestly I don't know much about Vignette and CPL filters , but afaik thicker (and cheaper) filter produce more vignetting with this lens.

Internet connection is suck here so I post smaller size pics. at this size do you see vignette in this picture JT? I use CPL and boost the fill light in Lightroom.

03-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1212
Veteran Member

problem with the 10-20 is vignetting. Can cause problems even when stacking filters.
Which is easily correctable in PP, right?

Okay, I'll be honest- the only round filters I have are a CP, a closeup diopter and a Singh-Ray Vari-ND (which I should have gotten the slim version of for the reason you mention). The only other filters I have are ND grads from Hi-Tech.

But, the principle still applies- buy one set of filters in the largest size you'll use and get step-up rings (the flat ones work best, they're very thin). Or, if you're happy using unmounted filters like the Hi-Techs you don't need any rings/adaptors at all, you can hand hold them in front of the lens and call it good. If you stack filters you're on your own.
03-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #1213
Inactive Account

not on something like the westminster shot I took above its not.
03-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #1214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hiked yesterday in the woods with the sun beginning to disappear over a ridge and into clouds. I came upon a spring-fed stream which had resisted being covered in snow. Here are three views, with one focusing on the mossy foreground boulder. I was impressed how in Mossy Boulder even the little hairs on the leaf at the bottom-center were visible. All shot at 10mm and f/8.

Spring-Fed

Upstream

Mossy Boulder

03-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #1215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Hiked yesterday in the woods with the sun beginning to disappear over a ridge and into clouds. I came upon a spring-fed stream which had resisted being covered in snow. Here are three views, with one focusing on the mossy foreground boulder. I was impressed how in Mossy Boulder even the little hairs on the leaf at the bottom-center were visible. All shot at 10mm and f/8.

Spring-Fed

Upstream

Mossy Boulder
Hey Tamia:

Interesting greenery & perspective.