Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here is 1 @ 12mm, 1/5th, tri-pod

06-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #1457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a beautiful photo of a lovely bridge and setting, JT. I grew up near plenty of covered bridges, but none like this. Looks like it was built in the same style as railroad stations of the 19th century. Nice there's a walkway alongside, too.
06-11-2011, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #1458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took this on 10mm, but cropped it to make a landscape view for this week's Project52 competition, "Portrait Landscape." In the end I chose a different entry, but thought I'd post this one here. I'm looking up the foreshore of a 12,000 year old beach/delta complex which has been exposed and eroded by off-road riders. The slope is a lot steeper than it looks.

Tracks

06-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #1459
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
That's a beautiful photo of a lovely bridge and setting, JT. I grew up near plenty of covered bridges, but none like this. Looks like it was built in the same style as railroad stations of the 19th century. Nice there's a walkway alongside, too.
Thanks Tamia. It was built in 1886, so right in line with your dating. And yes, I agree, its affinity with railroad stations of the day is striking. Vermont particularly, but to some degree New Hampshire, are good states to find covered bridges.

06-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #1460
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I took this on 10mm, but cropped it to make a landscape view for this week's Project52 competition, "Portrait Landscape." In the end I chose a different entry, but thought I'd post this one here. I'm looking up the foreshore of a 12,000 year old beach/delta complex which has been exposed and eroded by off-road riders. The slope is a lot steeper than it looks.

Tracks
Cool shot--I like how you have good detail in both sky and foreground, without clipping/underexposure in either--only in the trees, which are unimportant to the composition. Being a hiker, I understand how elusive steepness can be to 2-d pictures. Erosion is usually a sorry thing to see, except on the hiking trails where it is, for the most part, unavoidable.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be much which you can not date. Can you provide we lay people with the geological clues which tip off the age and identity of the area demarcated by the unnatural erosion?
06-12-2011, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #1461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thanks Tamia. It was built in 1886, so right in line with your dating. And yes, I agree, its affinity with railroad stations of the day is striking. Vermont particularly, but to some degree New Hampshire, are good states to find covered bridges.
The bridge is beautifully preserved. East-central NY has quite a few covered bridges, too, but not as elegant as this one of yours.

Cool shot--I like how you have good detail in both sky and foreground, without clipping/underexposure in either--only in the trees, which are unimportant to the composition. Being a hiker, I understand how elusive steepness can be to 2-d pictures. Erosion is usually a sorry thing to see, except on the hiking trails where it is, for the most part, unavoidable.
Thanks JT. It was a beautiful day but also frustrating, because I loved the sky details and the sand details, and had a hard time bring out the texture of both. The woods were sacrificed, but I'd like to have brought out the details more.

Steepness... Have you found that shooting slopes from below or partially up them is more likely to emphasize their steepness? I've been experimenting and that's been my impression, and a telephoto zoom can really make them look steep.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be much which you can not date. Can you provide we lay people with the geological clues which tip off the age and identity of the area demarcated by the unnatural erosion?

Hmmm, the best way to find out about the age of a formation is to do some homework into the geology of the area. In this case, I knew the geo history of the region from having studied here. This is a delta and beach complex that is part of a much larger set of formations which can be traced across northern NY and on to the western part of the state, though not in a continuous line.

Walking the top and the face of this part where I was shooting, you can observe the rocks and textures of the smaller sediments, and they give you a clue that it was washed by water at some point. It simply looks like a sandy beach, and a huge one at that. But it's hundreds of feet above the St. Lawrence Valley & Lake Ontario and there's not enough water to have created this feature.

Over time, geologists realized that there was a huge freshwater lake at this level, and it was formed by glacial meltwater which was trapped between the Adirondack Mountains and the continental glacier which was receding to the north. When the glacier retreated further north, the sea invaded, with a level about 300 feet below this high point. More deltas and beaches formed along the shore, and in those marine fossils are sometimes eroded out (seals, whales, shells).

The history's more complex than I've let on. It's a fascinating study.
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #1462
Veteran Member

This is another shot I could not have taken without this lens. It needed quite a bit of tweaking, but I'm reasonably happy with the result.

06-13-2011, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #1463

Got this lens about a month ago but just got to really use it for the first time. From the weekend camping trip:

f/11, 6 s, ISO 100 @ 10 mm

See the rest of the set here.
06-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #1464
Forum Member

Love this. My mother loved covered bridges and collected several pictures over the years, before she passed. Nice memories
06-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #1465
Veteran Member

Some more of Prague with the 10-20. This had to be cropped on the left and at the top, in order to not let bridge and castle be tiny specks in the distance. Fortunately, the lens is sharp enough to allow for that.

06-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #1466
Veteran Member

Some geometric distortion in this one, but given the subject matter, I thought it was acceptable. ;-)

06-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #1467
Veteran Member

I'll be joining this club shortly...
06-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #1468
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
I'll be joining this club shortly...
Did you get Jeweltrail's lens?
There's some mighty big pixels to fill.
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #1469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Some geometric distortion in this one, but given the subject matter, I thought it was acceptable. ;-)
Hahahahahaha… how could you tell?
06-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #1470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Did you get Jeweltrail's lens?
There's some mighty big pixels to fill.
I sure did, or I will in a couple days. Don't worry; I'm not going to try to replace JT. That would be an act of pure hubris.