Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #1756
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
It's been a while since I've contributed to this topic, so here are a few.
Hey Calico--these are nice. May I ask, did you PP at all for distortions? You really composed well to avoid perspective distortion, something a lot of people do not do with this lens @ the very wide end. There is distortion in the 2nd pic, but that is unavoidable given that the lens has its barrel disortions in the borders.

Usually, when I see great churches or cathedrals done with the 10-20 @ the wide end, the perspective distortion is overwhelming. Thanks.

09-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #1757
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hey Calico--these are nice. May I ask, did you PP at all for distortions? You really composed well to avoid perspective distortion, something a lot of people do not do with this lens @ the very wide end. There is distortion in the 2nd pic, but that is unavoidable given that the lens has its barrel disortions in the borders.

Usually, when I see great churches or cathedrals done with the 10-20 @ the wide end, the perspective distortion is overwhelming. Thanks.
No PP for distortion control. Just some minor brightening and a touch of auto-sharpening after reducing for posting. These were all at the 20mm end except for the steps/door which was at 12mm. I generally do try to consider the distortions when I use wide lenses.
Thanks,
09-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #1758
Veteran Member

I can still see distortion here, but as yous aid it's reasonable. I think the Church is not as big as you think it is. The only way to control perspective distortion is to just compose really carefully. Most of the time it's just unavoidable though.

Really like the last shot calicojack
09-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #1759
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really composed well to avoid perspective distortion, something a lot of people do not do with this lens @ the very wide end.
How true. I have this problem constantly with architecture, and often find myself wishing I was 5-20 feet taller, or that I could fly. Sometimes, it's a nice effect because it can make structures look foreboding or surreal, but that's not usually desirable.

09-16-2011, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #1760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has been a long time since I posted here because the demands of work have reduce photo and forum time, but I have been impressed with everyone's contributions. JT, did I read you sold your Siggy 10-20? What a sad day!

Here are two 10mm sunflower shots before autumn takes over completely. Now these sunflowers are producing seeds that attract the small birds. I've included a photo of one of the goldfinches eating at the flowerhead, for amusement's sake.

Shot with a Pentax 55-300mm:

09-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #1761

Photos: Gallery
Especially like the 1st sunflower pic- great angle!
09-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #1762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
It has been a long time since I posted here because the demands of work have reduce photo and forum time, but I have been impressed with everyone's contributions. JT, did I read you sold your Siggy 10-20? What a sad day!

Here are two 10mm sunflower shots before autumn takes over completely. Now these sunflowers are producing seeds that attract the small birds. I've included a photo of one of the goldfinches eating at the flowerhead, for amusement's sake.

Great photos. Did you do any cropping? I'm not seeing as much elongation at the edges as usually occurs at 10mm.

09-16-2011, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1763

[langtitle=sk]Golf Player[/langtitle]

Slnečnice sú nádherné , skvelý nápad.
Tu je hráš golfu s galérie Danubiana na brehu Dunaja
Attached Images

09-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #1764
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote

Shot with a Pentax 55-300mm:
Yes, far too long for the Club to be without you, but work is work. Thank goodness you are back: these Sunflowers are splendid. I love them all. You always have a unique stamp imprinted upon your work--just a joy to behold. The angle on the 1st shot is sooo effective & the Goldfinch angle is magical.

Unfortunately, I did sell my 10-20mm, & miss it dearly as you might imagine. I sold many lenses to help fund a D700 purchase. I did manage to hang onto my K20d, & am considering buying another 10-20. We'll see.
09-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #1765
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franki55 Quote
Slnečnice sú nádherné , skvelý nápad.
Tu je hráš golfu s galérie Danubiana na brehu Dunaja
Excellent figurines: composition and colors delightful.
09-17-2011, 12:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1766

Got up early this morning after my lee filter kit & grad ND's arrived yesterday afternoon. From the photos today, I might have a few more early starts.

Name:  Wynnum Sunrise Totem.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Wynnum Sunrise at Pool.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  92.0 KB
09-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #1767
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Sigmata Got up early this morning after my lee filter kit & grad ND's arrived yesterday afternoon. From the photos today, I might have a few more early starts.
It paid off to get up early, eh? Nice shots--I especially like the composition in the 2nd shot. Well, you guys have made me real jealous because I no longer have my 10-20mm and can not post here. However, went searching through old Raws: here is a very old shot @ 10mm.

09-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #1768

I have just posted a thread about the flare when using Sigma 10-20 f/3.5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/160291-sigma-1...flections.html

I am wondering if it is normal or defect in the lens. Please chime in. Thanks.
09-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #1769
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I have just posted a thread about the flare when using Sigma 10-20 f/3.5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/160291-sigma-1...flections.html

I am wondering if it is normal or defect in the lens. Please chime in. Thanks.
Hi Godavari:

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the lens. It is a simple fact that long exposures, with bright sources of light in the composition, generate flare. BTW, the ones in your pics are actually minor, consdering the ones I've seen in similar situations. I think you could make any lens do this, under similar circumstances. BTW, I own the Sigma 10-20mm f/4--5/.6, older and less expensive version. It is excellent with control of flare, particularly when one considers the UWA it covers. However, the newer, 10=20mm f/3.5 version is even better with flare.

I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve in those shots you posted: why would you expose the lens @ f/10 for 30 seconds? If those flares bother you, I suspect it is easily remedied with software in under a minute, especially considering the mild case of flare there

Good Luck with this fine lens,

JT
09-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #1770

Hi JT,

I just got the lens and those were some of the first shots taken with the lens. So, I was just wondering if it is normal or should I be concerned about the lens quality. It appears now that it is normal. Thanks for the comment.