Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #2146
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the most interesting landscape, but I like it for the sense of distance created by the objects of varying closeness.

04-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2147
Pentaxian

Another 2 pics shot during the boat cruise at Tianjin.

04-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #2148
Forum Member

Fred Hartman Bridge Houston Tx

Thanks very much Tamia.
04-16-2012, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2149
Veteran Member

Nerstrand Big Woods State Park

Took a hike through the above mentioned park on a beautiful Spring day on Saturday. Perfect day for hiking, and the Sigma 10-20 was "big" enough to cover the whole falls while standing in the middle of the creek about 25 feet back. Perfect lens for this application.....

Tim

04-18-2012, 05:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, I like that landscape very much. It's sharp all the way through, and the mountain range looks familiar.

Ken, lovely watery cityscapes as usual.

Tim, Very appealing waterfall and an excellent capture. The colors in the water are very nice.

Nothing very special about the following shots, but I thought folks might like to see what the transition between late winter and early spring is like in the northern Adirondacks of NY. These are of Chazy Lake, and the bulky mountain in the background is Lyon Mountain. It was a cool day and heat shimmer distorted the last shot, which I hope you all will forgive, as it's a telephoto (Pentax 55-300mm) of the emerged catkins on the aspen trees. In some of the shots you can see rotting ice on the lake in the distance.

Sparkling Chazy Lake

Retaining Wall

Lyon Mountain and Chazy Lake

Flowering Hillside and Rotting Lake Ice in Heat Shimmer

04-18-2012, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #2151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Ken, lovely watery cityscapes as usual.

Nothing very special about the following shots, but I thought folks might like to see what the transition between late winter and early spring is like in the northern Adirondacks of NY. These are of Chazy Lake, and the bulky mountain in the background is Lyon Mountain. It was a cool day and heat shimmer distorted the last shot, which I hope you all will forgive, as it's a telephoto (Pentax 55-300mm) of the emerged catkins on the aspen trees. In some of the shots you can see rotting ice on the lake in the distance.
Thanks Tamia for the nice comments.
Also thanks for sharing pics of season transition which I would not have chance to experience in Singapore.

I was just lucky to have taken a few shots 2 wks ago at 3 deg Celsius in China. Still managed to see a thin layer of ice on the lake.
I would be even happier if the tour guide allows more time for photography, hence none of the shots is taken with tripod and ND filter.

04-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #2152

Hello,

I am seriously considering buying this lens, but due to budget constraints, I can only afford the 4-5.6 version- is there any major difference between this and the 3.5 or is it mainly speed?

Thanks!

04-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #2153
Veteran Member

Kengoh, Tamia, UpNorth - some very nice photos. Kengoh, I particularly enjoy the color of the sky and the lake in those shots. And Tamia, that photo is from Satwiwa in California. I believe I'm looking NNE, and I'm not sure what those mountains are called.

QuoteOriginally posted by amama Quote
Hello,

I am seriously considering buying this lens, but due to budget constraints, I can only afford the 4-5.6 version- is there any major difference between this and the 3.5 or is it mainly speed?

Thanks!
Doesn't the f/3.5 version actually have HSM? I've never used the f/3.5 version, but the 4-5.6 version is wonderful, especially when stopped down.

Last edited by Designosophy; 04-22-2012 at 01:36 PM.
04-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #2154

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Doesn't the f/3.5 version actually have HSM? I've never used the f/3.5 version, but the 4-5.6 version is wonderful, especially when stopped down.
Ahh, I was alluding to the differences between the lenses in terms of IQ. Surely HSM isn't that much of a concern since the 4-5.6 (from what I've heard) focusses quite quietly and quickly anyways?
04-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #2155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Thanks!
Both models have the same number of lens elements and groups, and the same number of diaphragm blades. The 3.5 has HSM, which works very well on my copy, but the filter size is bigger (82 versus 77 mm).

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.
04-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #2156

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Both models have the same number of lens elements and groups, and the same number of diaphragm blades. The 3.5 has HSM, which works very well on my copy, but the filter size is bigger 82 versus 77 mm).
Am I right in thinking that HSM is purely for silent and quicker focussing? Whilst that is nice to have, unless the focus noise is ear-splitting I think I can live without it...
04-22-2012, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #2157
Veteran Member

I never found the noise intrusive or the focus slow. Never used it below f8.0 either. 77mm is a far cheaper option for filters than the 82mm as well.

One not really looked at before but going through the hard drive clearing space.

04-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #2158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I right in thinking that HSM is purely for silent and quicker focussing? Whilst that is nice to have, unless the focus noise is ear-splitting I think I can live without it...
Not having used the 4-5.6 version, I can't compare the two, but the HSM is remarkably quiet and smooth in comparison with my non-HSM Sigma (a 105 macro) and is as quiet as the SDM and DCM drives in my other Pentax lenses.

I also have to agree with mark lj's comment about the filter size - 77mm is a lot more common than 82mm, so you're more likely to have to buy filters specifically for the 3.5, unless you don't already have some thin profile ones (to avoid the possibility of vignetting).
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #2159

I would agree with you on this, as most real-life shots with the 10-20 will be at hyperfocal anyway. Anything focus-related is basically a non-issue with this lens.
04-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #2160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote

Tim, Very appealing waterfall and an excellent capture. The colors in the water are very nice.

Thanks Tamia. This lens sure does do a nice job with color.

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Kengoh, Tamia, UpNorth - some very nice photos. Kengoh, I particularly enjoy the color of the sky and the lake in those shots. And Tamia, that photo is from Satwiwa in California. I believe I'm looking NNE, and I'm not sure what those mountains are called......

Thanks Designosophy.

Tim