Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #2176
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
I have not had the chance to use this lens much this year, but here are a few of my latest.

These are excellent Ivor.

JT

04-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #2177
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Thanks much, JT! Some shots from the 'Dacks for you below.

Thanks very much, Mike!

This is really beautiful. I love how the wet sand sheen and reflects the light.

For JT...

Touch-Me-Not Shot last year in May or June. The jewelweed flowers haven't emerged yet but when they do, they'll be brilliant orange dots in this field of green.

Two Puddles Got the focus off a bit on this one. Should have focused on the near puddle but I like the color contrast.

Lowlight Hillside Shot last fall late in the day.

Deadwood Pool I love that snag and how it reflects in the pool. Shot from the same spot as the previous picture, but excluding the hillside.

I should note that I didn't push the saturation on these photos. They're true to the colors I saw. The white on the rocks comes from dried out old algae that formed during spring runoff.
Ah. music for my soul Tamia! The ADKs are so beautiful & I have so many spectacular moments spent there. The pics are splendid, as always. BTW, the native Americans believed Jewelweed had medicinal properties, specifically for Poison Ivy--if I'm not mistaken. I think it is still marketed today as a natural remedy. I really hope to make it back to my beloved ADKS soon, but am glad I have you shooting there and showing images here in the meantime!!! Thanks Tamia.

JT
04-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #2178
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Took a hike through the above mentioned park on a beautiful Spring day on Saturday. Perfect day for hiking, and the Sigma 10-20 was "big" enough to cover the whole falls while standing in the middle of the creek about 25 feet back. Perfect lens for this application.....

Tim
Sweet Tim!

04-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #2179
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amama Quote
Hello,

I am seriously considering buying this lens, but due to budget constraints, I can only afford the 4-5.6 version- is there any major difference between this and the 3.5 or is it mainly speed?

Thanks!
Hi Amama:

I so much miss my days shooting with this lens. When I was active with it, I had good knowledge of all the major, as well as subtle differences between the 2 versions, If you carefully sift through this thread, you'll find discussion on the differences--in depth at times even. Off the top of my memory, so please do not quote me here, I'll try and quickly review some differences, aside from the obvious ones: price--speed--fixed aperture

3.5 version reported to handle flare a little better, though the 4-5.6 is no slouch for UWA. 3.5 versions has an extra A-Blade, given it an odd total, which makes for nice sun flares--distinct points. Reports (I believe SLR, for example) say 4-5.6 is sharper at the long end. Also, @ 10mm (according to Photozone) I believe the 4-5.6 version is better in the extreme borders while the lenses are close elsewhere @ 10mm. 3.5 version reportedly a little better with vignetting and with distortions. Feel free to Google subject and report back here anything you can add tot he discussion. Thanks and Happy Shooting!

JT

04-25-2012, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #2180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Ah. music for my soul Tamia! The ADKs are so beautiful & I have so many spectacular moments spent there. The pics are splendid, as always. BTW, the native Americans believed Jewelweed had medicinal properties, specifically for Poison Ivy--if I'm not mistaken. I think it is still marketed today as a natural remedy. I really hope to make it back to my beloved ADKS soon, but am glad I have you shooting there and showing images here in the meantime!!! Thanks Tamia.

JT
Thanks, JT. I was hoping they might transport you for a little while. As a kid I'd heard about jewelweed being used that way, and tried it when I rubbed my bare hand through something (not poison ivy) that irritated my skin. I smeared a handful of jewelweed on the rash and it seemed to help, but that might have been a false remedy, as the rash was transient. As an adult, I decided against using jewelweed medicinally because it's such a beautiful plant in every stage of its development. By the way, the leaves of a common roadside plant called dock DO help relieve the sting of nettles.

Some pix now...

Sunset in the Trees

Sky in the Puddles

Mossy Log

04-25-2012, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #2181
Pentaxian

Shot this today.

04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #2182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
beautiful comp, reflection and colors, Ken!

04-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #2183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Shot this today.

Beautiful color and composition as usual from you. Nice shot.

But one query. There seems to be a fair degree of image halo in the image. Is this a multi shot HDR where the images didn't align perfectly, or something else in PP..??
04-26-2012, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2184
Pentaxian

new from last night

04-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #2185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, Mike, your mossy wall-creek photo is beautiful. The log in the stream has an "eye." Is this a retaining wall?
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #2186
Pentaxian

here is another view of that wall:

04-27-2012, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2187
Veteran Member

Amazing shots as always on this thread.. Mike Sf that is most inventive indeed.. i particularly love the second shot. That is one seriously impressive cityscape Kenogh! Tamia that is a lovely series of images and i particularly love the sun setting on the trees... beautiful black and white!

This is one i tinkered with again last night that i took a while back.

04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #2188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, I like your second creek shot equally well. I think I'd be hard pressed to choose one, so I'd have to put both up on the wall.

Garbhan, thanks much. I really like the setting sun on the trees, too. Your shoreline shot is super. Did you use a ND filter when shooting that? I very much like how the wet sand reflects the brightness in the sky. The small bits of color here and there are nice, too.
04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #2189
Pentaxian

thanks Tamia!
Garbhan, that is beautiful. nice light and just enough color to make it pop!
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #2190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Garbhan, thanks much. I really like the setting sun on the trees, too. Your shoreline shot is super. Did you use a ND filter when shooting that? I very much like how the wet sand reflects the brightness in the sky. The small bits of color here and there are nice, too.
Thanks a lot Tamia! Yeah i used a Hoya ND 400 10 stop filter for that shot. Cheers!