Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #2251

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Drivingback: Any change you could snap a picture of your set-up? It could come in handy for a few of us.

Tim
Tim,

Here is a photo of my crude set-up. I just simply clipped it to the adapter. But you need to be careful as there is not much place for it to hold on to. I lost one binder clip while attaching it. Sorry for the quality, it is taken by my phone camera.

Note: There is another clip on the other side. Not shown on the photo.

Regards,

Chester

Last edited by drivingback; 05-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.
05-18-2012, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #2252

And here is the shot I took with the setup. Got some splashes of water on my K-x and the Sigma (including my pants, shoes & socks), thankfully the camera and lens are still working! I need to upgrade to the K30! And Pentax should release a WR Ultra wide to complement it!

05-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #2253

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
Very nice! Where are these? Singapore?
Thanks! Yup those are all taken in Singapore.
05-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #2254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
Thanks for your reply, Tamia. After your comment here, I have decided to skip the CPL for now and just go with a UV filter for protection. Although I might visit the CPL a bit later as I've been eyeing the B+W Kaesemann CPL (unfortunately- or fortunately for me since it'd deter me from buying it on impulse- it's stupidly expensive).

Some of the photos I've seen here truly inspires me to go out and use this lens.
You're welcome, Munki. I found that when I first got my Sigma, shooting with only the UV helped me to learn the lens' strengths and limitations. Then when I tried the polarizer (and, later, a ND filter and CPL combination) I had a good idea how the polarizer helped and hindered.

This lens is addictive! I find myself wanting to go for a hike just because I want to find subjects for the lens.

05-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #2255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamia - Love that Maple Tree in snow and that second shot of the hills. Seems you live very close to nature.

Great edgy stuff particularly number 6 shot of the window!

Thanks! I love that maple tree and am trying to chronicle it through the year. Glad you liked the Radio Shack.
05-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #2256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim,

Here is a photo of my crude set-up. I just simply clipped it to the adapter. But you need to be careful as there is not much place for it to hold on to. I lost one binder clip while attaching it. Sorry for the quality, it is taken by my phone camera.

Regards,

Chester
And here is the shot I took with the setup. Got some splashes of water on my K-x and the Sigma (including my pants, shoes & socks), thankfully the camera and lens are still working! I need to upgrade to the K30! And Pentax should release a WR Ultra wide to complement it!

Thanks for showing us your setup -- very inventive! The resulting photo is lovely. Do you remember the shutter speed you used?
05-20-2012, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #2257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Playing around with PP with my favorite maple tree, shown a page back. Not sure what I think of the textured one, but I'd been browsing through 1x.com, and I suppose that influenced my artistic side.

In Thick Fog

Textured Maple

05-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #2258
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
<snip> and I suppose that influenced my artistic side.

Textured Maple
I remember producing results like that in my old Black & White darkroom.

Very nice.
05-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #2259

Thanks for showing us your setup -- very inventive! The resulting photo is lovely. Do you remember the shutter speed you used?
Tamia - Thank you very much! The shot info are the ff:

Shutter Speed: 30s
Aperture: f13
Focal Length: 12mm
ISO: 200

The photo is also linked to my flickr account where you can view the exif.
05-20-2012, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #2260

I went for another shoot yesterday at Punggol beach. There were a lot of people shooting that late afternoon and I met a nice Singaporean guy who was shooting a 7D. The sun hid behind the clouds after a few minutes and the light was no longer as good as this one.

05-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #2261
Pentaxian

Thanks, Ken. I particularly like that maple tree and am trying to capture it through the seasons. Lovely sunset of yours, as usual. Makes me want to see that part of the world.

Wildflowers are blooming here now. This is white trillium. I was as close as the focus would allow:
Beautiful sunset shot as usual Ken!
Thanks Tamia and Chester, glad you like this shot.
05-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #2262
Pentaxian

A night shot with this lens taken yesterday.

05-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #2263
Pentaxian

Tim,

Regards,

Chester
Thanks Chester. I think I'll add a couple of clips to my camera bag.

Tim
05-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #2264
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
Thanks for your reply, Tamia. After your comment here, I have decided to skip the CPL for now and just go with a UV filter for protection. Although I might visit the CPL a bit later as I've been eyeing the B+W Kaesemann CPL (unfortunately- or fortunately for me since it'd deter me from buying it on impulse- it's stupidly expensive).

Some of the photos I've seen here truly inspires me to go out and use this lens.
Hi: want to offer my experience with this lens and a polarizer. I used a B & W (not cheap) Linear Polarizer &, even @ 10mm, never had deformations of color uniformity. The sky, especially in areas closest to the sun, will obviously show less intensity of the color blue--but this is visible to the naked eye alone. This discussion was already handled here in the club, with examples provided. I'll post 1 more example here for simplicity.

Sorry, about my late reply. I left Pentax over a year ago, pullled to the Dark side by the allure of full-frame and more lens options. I now have responsibilities to other forums, and I'm still trying to learn all things Nikon, even after a year. Feel free to ask more questions if you feel I can be of help--BEST!

JT

10mm---NO CROP

05-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #2265
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Color Uniformity & Polarizers

Okay, for added clarity I will post this shot too. This shot did not have a polarizer on the lens, nor a UV filter. I suggest avoiding UV filters on digital for optimum quality--my 2 cents. Anway, this shot is done on Full-frame sensor, with the 17mm Tamron f/3.5 Adaptall lens. Look at the deformation of color uniformity, ie, the left side of the frame has a much lighter blue than the right side. However, this has nothing to do with a polarizer; rather, it has everything do so with the composition's proximity to the Sun. In other words, the Sun is directly to the left of the composition, just outside of the most left portion of the shot. 17mm on FF is close to 11mm on APS-c.
JT

This shot is @ f/3.5, or wide open on the Tammy adaptall.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 05-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.