Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #3241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone know how long the warranty is on Sigma lenses? My 10-20 has started to make a disturbing noise as it hunts for focus (the fact it even IS making a noise is something in itself).

Trying to decide if its something I can safely ignore (the sound seems to have gone away on its own) or if I should brace myself for a servicing.

09-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #3242
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Anyone know how long the warranty is on Sigma lenses? My 10-20 has started to make a disturbing noise as it hunts for focus (the fact it even IS making a noise is something in itself).

Trying to decide if its something I can safely ignore (the sound seems to have gone away on its own) or if I should brace myself for a servicing.
It looks like one year.
The attached is from my 10-20 Box
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sigma Warrantee0001.pdf (38.8 KB, 162 views)
09-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #3243
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I just received my 10-20. Now I need to learn how to use it.
I received a 10-20 on friday.. been wanting one for a couple of years now. Glad we have this lens club thread as I was surprised at how 'difficult' it is to use this lens.. the first one where I needed to step back and see how others are using it to get an idea. Thanks to everyone who has posted images!

Right off the bat I'm enjoying the 'fisheye' type effect you can get by tilting the lens up/down and toward the subject. The field of view at 10mm is pretty incredible so much that I see myself using it at 20mm since I'm so used to that focal length. Also see that it is a lens that works great in capturing scale and depth. Having to get so close to objects at 10mm is a little strange to me so that will be part of the learning.

Too bad it doesn't have an aperture ring as this would be a fun lens to use on macro extension tubes
09-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #3244
Inactive Account

Be careful when you tilt the lens down. Make sure your shoes are clean and polished!

09-21-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #3245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I received a 10-20 on friday.. been wanting one for a couple of years now. Glad we have this lens club thread as I was surprised at how 'difficult' it is to use this lens.. the first one where I needed to step back and see how others are using it to get an idea. Thanks to everyone who has posted images!

Right off the bat I'm enjoying the 'fisheye' type effect you can get by tilting the lens up/down and toward the subject. The field of view at 10mm is pretty incredible so much that I see myself using it at 20mm since I'm so used to that focal length. Also see that it is a lens that works great in capturing scale and depth. Having to get so close to objects at 10mm is a little strange to me so that will be part of the learning.

Too bad it doesn't have an aperture ring as this would be a fun lens to use on macro extension tubes
If you have the inclination, the 10-20 is perfect for make perspective planets. It'd be a fun way to learn the quirks of the lens.

09-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #3246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have the inclination, the 10-20 is perfect for make perspective planets. It'd be a fun way to learn the quirks of the lens.

O Great One!

Please tell us how you made these pictures! Inquiring Minds Want to Know.
09-22-2014, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #3247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
O Great One!

Please tell us how you made these pictures! Inquiring Minds Want to Know.
Create a 360 degree panorama, while (as shooting) you try to avoid having anything poke up over the top of the frame (ie, you need open sky, no trees/phone poles/etc poking off camera up top). I use Microsoft ICE to stitch the pano, but any would do.

Open your pano in Photoshop (I'm sure you could use something else, but this is how I know it).

Once in photoshop, you want to flip the image top to bottom, then use Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates.

Post process as needed at this point to fix any blemishes or glaring weirdness and you should be good to go.

Fake edit: Keep your white balance and shooting settings steady throughout - just like any pano, you want everything to come out as equal as possible, but if your left frame and your right frame are at different exposures it will be super noticeable with this process.

I also shoot oriented as portrait rather than landscape (be careful not to shoot your tripod legs or shoes!) as it gives you a nice wide expanse of sky just in case you wind up having to crop some out while stitching. You'll also want to have a good overlap (at least 25%, preferably more) between the images as the super wide angle shots will be very distorted compared to each other as you make your 360 degree circuit.

You can also use a smaller lens (a 28, or even a 50 if you don't have any landmarks) but generally speaking the wider the angle the better the chances.

Also, you really want to either use a level tripod or be very, very careful with handholding (I actually handhold mine, usually) to keep the camera level and distortion free. The on-camera level is your friend here. Nothing is more annoying than getting home from trying one of these to find out your pano skews groundward.

Also, also, as much as I went on about insuring you have sky, once you have the pano you'll be using complete feel free to crop as much sky as you want - once you make everything spherical your sky will become absolutely huge, and the tighter you crop to the landmarks, the bigger those landmarks will be in the final image.

I have to run out and do stuff, but I'll see if I can make a clearer tutorial later, with images. It looks a LOT more complicated than it actually is. Barring a need to heavily post process the complete operation will take maybe 5 or 10 minutes or so at most.

Last edited by Sagitta; 09-22-2014 at 01:10 PM.
09-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #3248
Veteran Member

So it went from this peculiar..

..to this

09-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #3249
Pentaxian

Yesssss!

I realized just today I forgot to mention that you need to convert the end result into a square. Otherwise you get a pano-oval which doesn't quite work. LOL
09-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #3250
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bridge in the early morning...

09-27-2014, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #3251
Pentaxian

Kind of wish I'd been able to get closer to avoid the branches, but since I can't fly this'll have to do.

09-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #3252
Inactive Account

Kind of wish I'd been able to get closer to avoid the branches, but since I can't fly this'll have to do.

The branches make for nice framing anyway.
09-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #3253
Pentaxian

^yep i agree.thats a lovely picture.great colours
09-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #3254

I hope this is not off topic. I'm thinking to buy used 10-20 4-5.6 for approx. $350. But since I like to do also landscape astrophotography I was thinking also about Samyang 16/2 ($470). Now, I really don't know what to do. There are also reviews about this lens (Sigma) that it lacks sharpness and there's not that big aperture, if you compare it with Samyang f2, but Sigma has 10-20mm zoom which is really good range.
09-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #3255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the leaves are changing to their autumn colors I caught this shot with my Pentax K500 and Sigma EX 10-20 4-5.6 DC a few feet from my front door in the heart of the city
Attached Images

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 10-05-2014 at 04:19 AM.