01-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #3364
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
this from tonight in San Francisco:

The Turnaround
The Turnaround
K5 & Sigma 10-20
This shot of the SF Cable Car is a technical & compositional marvel Mike. Very pleasing. In spite of spending some two weeks in San Francisco split into five occasions, I have never got a successful shot of the Cable Cars.
Request please share how you captured this extremely sharp shot in low light as the car was being turned around. Gear used and exif data will also help.
Like I can see no people or tourists are around, so perhaps you used a tripod as the buildings are very sharp too. The moving trail - horizontal swirl lines - with the posters and the vertical posts to the bottom LHS are a mystery too, as I don't recall seeing one on the turn table.
I am very familiar with the location - end of Powell Street abutting Market Street, where we queue up for the Cable Cars.
Regards.

01-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #3365

Just got this lens in the mail today, didn't get a chance to play with it too much, definitely need to use it more and learn how to use it, not used to having such a wide focal length. Haha. And need new set of filters for it.

shot with the k3 earlier today trying to get some test shots in. Raw format, quick Lightroom edit.
01-28-2015, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #3366
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mkyyy Quote
Just got this lens in the mail today, didn't get a chance to play with it too much, definitely need to use it more and learn how to use it, not used to having such a wide focal length. Haha. And need new set of filters for it.

shot with the k3 earlier today trying to get some test shots in. Raw format, quick Lightroom edit.
Hello mkyyy, be warned of the use of filters on this lens:-
a) vignetting unless you use a slim frame filter
b) massive lens flare. remember there is a huge surface - 77 mm diameter of glass on that filter. Also this lens pulls in a lot of sky whose bluish hues can change
from the center to the sides.
c) multiple green colored reflections under some photo situations.
d) loss of contrast, color and sharpness.

Regards.
01-28-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #3367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by takis63 Quote
A great shot!!!

I've got to get myself this lens...
thanks. i don't get to use it much anymore (since switching to 645D), but when i teach classes, i bring a lightweight rig along and the 10-20 is hard to beat.

QuoteOriginally posted by towa Quote
Mike i'm impressed with your shoots!
thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
This shot of the SF Cable Car is a technical & compositional marvel Mike. Very pleasing. In spite of spending some two weeks in San Francisco split into five occasions, I have never got a successful shot of the Cable Cars.
Request please share how you captured this extremely sharp shot in low light as the car was being turned around. Gear used and exif data will also help.
Like I can see no people or tourists are around, so perhaps you used a tripod as the buildings are very sharp too. The moving trail - horizontal swirl lines - with the posters and the vertical posts to the bottom LHS are a mystery too, as I don't recall seeing one on the turn table.
I am very familiar with the location - end of Powell Street abutting Market Street, where we queue up for the Cable Cars.
Regards.
Nanhi, thanks and I am happy to share the technique. I used the K5 in Bulb mode with a cable release and M.UP setting to fire the shutter at will. 13mm. Originally i was much too close and the cable car filled the frame too much to show context. I zoomed out and backed up and noted that too far back removed the prominence of the car and slight bit of distortion which I liked for this. I shot about 4 different cars to tweak my technique and found that opening the shutter as soon as the car came to a stop in the turnaround but before the men began to spin it was best for "burning in" the car without too much motion blur. Then, the car spun clockwise and I closed the shutter before the two men appeared in the frame. I used f/16 and ISO100 for 8.5 sec.

The place was crowded but most of the people are hidden on the right behind the car. Those posts on the LHS are part of the turntable and rotate in sync with the entire turntable.
I did find each pair of cable car operators used a slightly different timing for pushing the car, so it was a challenge to predict how long the car might stay in one place before starting to move again. I got lucky here! If you go, be aware that at busy times, the queue wraps right through where I was standing, so people will get angry if you are blocking the line with a tripod. This was around 8pm i believe.

Because the spot contains mixed lighting (sodium vapor, fluorescent, and tungsten), I knew from the start i wanted to go mono to eliminate any distracting colors. Nik silver efex to the rescue!

01-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #3368

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Hello mkyyy, be warned of the use of filters on this lens:-
a) vignetting unless you use a slim frame filter
b) massive lens flare. remember there is a huge surface - 77 mm diameter of glass on that filter. Also this lens pulls in a lot of sky whose bluish hues can change
from the center to the sides.
c) multiple green colored reflections under some photo situations.
d) loss of contrast, color and sharpness.

Regards.
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate the tips. I'll hold off on filters then.
01-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #3369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks. i don't get to use it much anymore (since switching to 645D), but when i teach classes...
Thanks for the tutorial, Mike. I didn't realize you teach classes, but it's great to know should I make it to the west coast again. Love your photos.
01-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #3370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Thanks for the tutorial, Mike. I didn't realize you teach classes, but it's great to know should I make it to the west coast again. Love your photos.
Hi Tamia,
thanks! I do a monthly workshop around the city. Next one Feb 7th.
Mike Oria Photography | Night Eyes Photo Workshops
Do let me know when you are coming out this way!
01-28-2015, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #3371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Tamia,
thanks! I do a monthly workshop around the city. Next one Feb 7th.
Mike Oria Photography | Night Eyes Photo Workshops
Do let me know when you are coming out this way!
Oh definitely, will do, Mike!

Here are two (novice) attempts at interior architectural photography with my 10-20mm/4-5.6 on my K-5IIs, shot in RAW. "Climb Up" is a view up a flight of stairs with south-facing windows on a sunny day. "Catching the Sun" is along one floor of a pavilion with the same prospect. I unskewed the stairs photo slightly to account for barrel distortion. Both were handheld at f/8 and ISO 80. The stairs were at 11mm and 1/45s, while the floor view was at 20mm and 1/125s. Critical comments always welcome.

Climb Up

Catching the Sun

01-28-2015, 06:33 PM - 3 Likes   #3372
Pentaxian

Lazy Saguaro

K5 IIs and 10-20 3.5, Three shot bracket at f11

01-28-2015, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #3373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arizona Dave Quote
K5 IIs and 10-20 3.5, Three shot bracket at f11

such lovely light and a fine composition

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

Oh definitely, will do, Mike!

Here are two (novice) attempts at interior architectural photography with my 10-20mm/4-5.6 on my K-5IIs, shot in RAW. "Climb Up" is a view up a flight of stairs with south-facing windows on a sunny day. "Catching the Sun" is along one floor of a pavilion with the same prospect. I unskewed the stairs photo slightly to account for barrel distortion. Both were handheld at f/8 and ISO 80. The stairs were at 11mm and 1/45s, while the floor view was at 20mm and 1/125s. Critical comments always welcome.

Climb Up

Catching the Sun
Tamia,
this is really good interior architectural work. Exposures are spot on and no distortion. Did you use the sensor shift in camera or correct it in post? I want to make sure you are aware of the useful sensor shift feature for architectural photography.
01-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #3374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

such lovely light and a fine composition

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

Tamia,
this is really good interior architectural work. Exposures are spot on and no distortion. Did you use the sensor shift in camera or correct it in post? I want to make sure you are aware of the useful sensor shift feature for architectural photography.
Thanks very much, Mike. I corrected for the distortion (there wasn't much, really) in the stairshot using post-processing. The K-5IIs is brand new as of a month ago and I'm still learning its wonderful features, but haven't discovered sensor shift. Thanks for the tip. I'll look in the manual for how to use it.
01-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #3375
Pentaxian

Thanks very much, Mike. I corrected for the distortion (there wasn't much, really) in the stairshot using post-processing. The K-5IIs is brand new as of a month ago and I'm still learning its wonderful features, but haven't discovered sensor shift. Thanks for the tip. I'll look in the manual for how to use it.
oh, i was asking because i posted up a few examples of how it works in a thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/275602-compositi...you-using.html

it is a useful tool and reduces the amount of pixel destruction needed in post.