Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jsherman999 Sigma should link to this thread from their corporate web site. Good job, guys.
Thanks Jay, then maybe they could pay royalties to our forum, making it even better.

Ausable river in beautiful Adirondack park!

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 07-30-2010 at 10:14 AM.
02-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #287
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys...

I once borrowed a 10-20 from a fellow friend.. but then one day she watned it back. Since then, I've been in a depression.. I want to get ahold of the 10-20... but I've been trying to find a place where it is decently priced... and even if there is a chance of doing a 0% financing for the dang thing. Anyone know of some decent prices or the other option? i've been watching the for sale area for a while, but I've got a trip that is coming up in 2 months.. that I want to have it for...
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kcjacoby Quote
Hey guys...

I once borrowed a 10-20 from a fellow friend.. but then one day she watned it back. Since then, I've been in a depression.. I want to get ahold of the 10-20... but I've been trying to find a place where it is decently priced... and even if there is a chance of doing a 0% financing for the dang thing. Anyone know of some decent prices or the other option? i've been watching the for sale area for a while, but I've got a trip that is coming up in 2 months.. that I want to have it for...
Keep an eye out on ebay. I saw one a few weeks back with a buy it now price of $295.00
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #289

Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6

My Turn

First of all I must throw out the negative. QC at Sigma seems to be lacking badly at times regarding their lenses. One of my concerns at the time of purchase was all the negative posts about poor lenses which included softness on certain edges and overall lack of sharpness. I went ahead and ordered one through Amazon and when it arrived it was missing the card required for the 3 year extended warranty. Amazon rather than shipping only a replacement card sent me a replacement lens which allowed me to try them side by side for a few days. I ended up keeping my first lens and sent the replacement back without the card.

Lens one was sharper all the way around while it seemed to lack a bit in the actual color representation that lens 2 had. But as you can see lens 2 was a return item. I reproduced this on all of the many shots I took.

Lens 1:

Lens 2:

That out of the way I must say that for the money (if you get a good copy) you cannot beat this lens for Pentax.

The wide angle is needed to capture Atmospheric Optics in their full glory as an 18mm can't reach it all.

This unheard of event (in KS) last spring was captured by many, but I have the only completely captured version I know of because I had the 10-20mm with me that day.

That moon halo that rarely fits in an 18mm:

For weather photography you cannot beat getting it all (or much more of it) in the shot.

And just all around shooting:

02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #290

Nice weather photos Kansas, they are stunning.

There are 2 version of te Sigma 10-20mm, one with f4-5.6, and one with f3.5. Which one is better?
02-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote

For weather photography you cannot beat getting it all (or much more of it) in the shot.

are you a storm chaser?
02-22-2010, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #292
Forum Member

Here.. I've got one or two I can contribute...

I do a lot of urbex with this lens... just need to get my hands on a copy of it...

02-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #293

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
are you a storm chaser?
Yes, I am a bit different than many of the top name chasers you would be familiar with though as I will focus more on storm structure than getting a tornado shot and I am more of a local area chaser than those who will travel great distances for the capture.

Reed Timmer (Storm Chasers) is more of an adrenaline junkie where Sean Casey (Storm Chasers) is in it for the film making.. Tim Samaras (Storm Chasers) and Josh Wurman (Storm Chasers) are more into the scientific aspects.

Myself, Mike Hollingshead and Bill Doms (Twister Sisters), Dick McGowan and a few others enjoy other aspects of photography during the off season though like Atmospheric Optics, Eagles and such.

Use any one of those links I posted to find some other fine examples of what the 10-20mm might have to offer you even though I haven't been able to convince them my Pentax is better than their canikons... LOL.
02-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #294
Veteran Member

02-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Yes, I am a bit different than many of the top name chasers you would be familiar with though as I will focus more on storm structure than getting a tornado shot and I am more of a local area chaser than those who will travel great distances for the capture.

Reed Timmer (Storm Chasers) is more of an adrenaline junkie where Sean Casey (Storm Chasers) is in it for the film making.. Tim Samaras (Storm Chasers) and Josh Wurman (Storm Chasers) are more into the scientific aspects.

Myself, Mike Hollingshead and Bill Doms (Twister Sisters), Dick McGowan and a few others enjoy other aspects of photography during the off season though like Atmospheric Optics, Eagles and such.

Use any one of those links I posted to find some other fine examples of what the 10-20mm might have to offer you even though I haven't been able to convince them my Pentax is better than their canikons... LOL.

yeah, those guys are really crazy. I don't just admire the photos that had been taken, but for their darn bravery. and Yes, I don't like lightnings. I'm terrified of them. just a flash of it and surely you'd see me not coming out of the house and turn off the electricity as lightning gets attracted to a large electrical surge. from where I lived before, there is a large occurrence of lightning. and most often than not, power surge or fluctuations happen as often as well.

so forget it. you wont see any lightning pictures coming from me.
02-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #296

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
yeah, those guys are really crazy. I don't just admire the photos that had been taken, but for their darn bravery. and Yes, I don't like lightnings. I'm terrified of them. just a flash of it and surely you'd see me not coming out of the house and turn off the electricity as lightning gets attracted to a large electrical surge. from where I lived before, there is a large occurrence of lightning. and most often than not, power surge or fluctuations happen as often as well.

so forget it. you wont see any lightning pictures coming from me.
Lightning is my specialty, LOL Of all of us I think I have that market cornered in numbers at the least .

This lens can get it but its not a very good capture (too dark) and to even get that shot it must be leaving the clouds pretty much over your head.

02-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #297
Veteran Member

Some really great shot's in here guys, well done

Got question regarding this lens, (i will be buying one in the near future)

Not sure which one should i be getting.
One is Sigma 10-20mm 10-20 F4-5.6 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for $599AUD
and the other is
Sigma 10-20mm 10-20 F4-5.6 f/4-5.6 EX DC for $680AUD

Now should i get the HSM lens or not?
02-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Some really great shot's in here guys, well done

Got question regarding this lens, (i will be buying one in the near future)

Not sure which one should i be getting.
One is Sigma 10-20mm 10-20 F4-5.6 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for $599AUD
and the other is
Sigma 10-20mm 10-20 F4-5.6 f/4-5.6 EX DC for $680AUD

Now should i get the HSM lens or not?
I believe Pentax and Sony versions of Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 does not have HSM, they rely on the screw-drive from camera body for AF...

The new F3.5 version has HSM for pentax
02-23-2010, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #299
Veteran Member

So many great shots in here ...this is my favorite lens to work with....here's a ferw of mine:

02-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #300
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
....snip....

THIS IS IT!

fantastic shot IMO, please keep posting...