Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #181
Veteran Member

What I wanna know is what kind of deal you have with Pentax to get such perfect copies of all your lenses.

02-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
What I wanna know is what kind of deal you have with Pentax to get such perfect copies of all your lenses.

Actually, I have a -5 adjustment on my DA 15.
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Actually, I have a -5 adjustment on my DA 15.
I'm still fiddling with mine trying to get the same level of sharpness you've got. :ugh:
02-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still fiddling with mine trying to get the same level of sharpness you've got. :ugh:
Sometimes it's relieving to know it's not just me doing this ...

02-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm still fiddling with mine trying to get the same level of sharpness you've got.
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Sometimes it's relieving to know it's not just me doing this ...
And yet his 16-45mm is not as sharp as mine.
02-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Yeah, I just tested and even at +10 AF adjustment it's still off. Guess I'm gonna have to ask for an exchange.
02-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #187

Finally caught an e-mail telling me that my baby is on the way home... Only couple days an I'll get my hands to it.

02-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Seems like a sharpness problem on a lens with a depth of field from 1 meter to infinity wide open is not likely to be a FF or BF problem on the magnitude of the adjustments in the K20d. It probably is time to have Pentax look at it. On a bright day, you could pretty much set the hyperfocal point and turn AF off.
02-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Stages of forum-induced LBA:

Random thread click while bored --> Mild curiosity --> interest --> great interest --> can't sleep at night --> hatred for thread initiators --> epiphany --> calm acceptance --> Adorama --> "Out For Delivery".
Replace bold items above with
"hatred for jsherman999", "Pentax Forums Marketplace"

I hesitated for 10 minutes on a 15mm I saw on the marketplace.
I'm glad to see your comparison shots with the 16-45 as that is what I have in my arsenal. The hesitation was due to priorities - DA21, DA40 1st B4 DA15. I'm happy to see that my DA16-45 can pass for all 3 of these limiteds. The contemplation is due to the "large" size of the 16-45.
Until I hit a windfall or start getting paid to take photos, I'll have to do the best with what I have.

Heaven forbid, jsherman starts a thread on the DA21/DA40. We'll all never sleep at night. Wait, maybe he has.... pls don't tell us.
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
And yet his 16-45mm is not as sharp as mine.

What!? That's not acceptable. Please post some infinity shots, central crop, f/4. I can't live with it if it's true.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemppo Quote
Finally caught an e-mail telling me that my baby is on the way home... Only couple days an I'll get my hands to it.
Congrats, it's one of the more exciting lenses I've put on any of my cameras lately.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Seems like a sharpness problem on a lens with a depth of field from 1 meter to infinity wide open is not likely to be a FF or BF problem on the magnitude of the adjustments in the K20d. It probably is time to have Pentax look at it. On a bright day, you could pretty much set the hyperfocal point and turn AF off.
Good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Replace bold items above with
"hatred for jsherman999", "Pentax Forums Marketplace"

I hesitated for 10 minutes on a 15mm I saw on the marketplace.
I'm glad to see your comparison shots with the 16-45 as that is what I have in my arsenal. The hesitation was due to priorities - DA21, DA40 1st B4 DA15. I'm happy to see that my DA16-45 can pass for all 3 of these limiteds. The contemplation is due to the "large" size of the 16-45.
Until I hit a windfall or start getting paid to take photos, I'll have to do the best with what I have.

Heaven forbid, jsherman starts a thread on the DA21/DA40. We'll all never sleep at night. Wait, maybe he has.... pls don't tell us.

Yes, the 16-45 is a great alternative. I've owned the DA 40, just didn't like the focal length and max aperture combo enough to keep it. But I've seen some very clean, crisp shots others have posted form that lens, and it locks focus very fast.

Never owned the DA 21 - my M 20 f/4 pretty much probably can not be beat by anything at that FL.

Sorry to hear about your sharpness problems, Ben - hopefully you have a replacement on the way as we speak. I think it's well worth it.

Here's what close-focus, wide-open should look like in real-world shots:

Crop:

More randomness:

02-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #191
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Snaps from today:

02-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #192
Forum Member

Wonderful J! I got mine and I don't see any problems with sharpness. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten beyond my front yard with it yet!
02-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #193
Veteran Member

From the standpoint of taking pictures, rather than looking at pixels wide open, this lens is near perfect in balancing size and resolution IMO. Below is a 100% crop from a film shot. It is not a perfect test, because the focus was not actually on these chain links, but the lens is stopped way down to f/11. The links are so far to the extreme borders that parts of them are not even within the APS-C frame. The dark in the lower right corner is the absolute edge of the image circle. To get an idea of the location of this crop, look at a larger view of a similar shot I posted here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/920416-post151.html . The chain links were slightly closer to the edge in this frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by GeneV; 02-22-2010 at 07:04 AM.
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #194
Inactive Account

The 15mm Limited controls my mind......

Snap from today:

LG
Hartmut
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #195
Veteran Member

You know, I just logged in to my work computer and saw that my last posted photo crop looks about 1 stop darker than on my home computer. It is a bit of thread drift, but this does make me wonder how different all of the photos we post look to the various participants around the world viewing them on different monitors.