Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #3931
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No Picnic

3 shot pano

The Salton Sea, California's largest lake, is a tragic yet fascinating place. Once a thriving resort destination; now succumbing to a series of unfortunate ecological factors and a lack of public & political support to save it.

I arrived while it was still dark and just made my way to the waterfront on the west shore without knowing what i'd find. I set up my tripod to shoot this picnic bench and as the first light hit the ground, i was surprised to find the beach riddled with hundreds of dead fish, fish heads, scales, bones, barnacles, and who knows what else. If you imagine there'd be a strong odor here, you'd be quite correct. It was pretty nasty.

I thought about the family vacationers who may have once sat at this bench to enjoy lunch and a great afternoon...this ain't that.

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.
03-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #3932

03-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #3933
Pentaxian

03-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #3934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez--I'm gone for a week and come back to three new pages of great pics!

03-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #3935
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Old Sheldon Church Ruins

The 15mm was on my K-01 about 90% of the time this past week on our trip to South Caronlina (mostly Hilton Head). The following images are of a old church (originally built in the mid-1700s) near the coast. B&W conversion in Nik Silver Efex.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/7016157687_1716f57546_c.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6109/6868310322_6d648e83cb_c.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6212/7014857459_46099e2553_c.jpg

(a couple of these are cross-posted on the K-01 image thread)
03-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #3936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez--I'm gone for a week and come back to three new pages of great pics!
03-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #3937
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Middle Falls with the 15mm

03-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #3938
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Man this thread never ceases to impress. Well done, everyone. A couple from this evening:

03-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #3939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

El Estadio de Villa Morelos

We did the Spring Break thing in Cancun but the Zona Hoteles is too artificial and boring for me so I went out exploring in a rental car and found this little village on the west side of the highway to Tuluum, opposite Puerto Morelos on the coast. The high point was this crude little "stadium": The 15mm jumped out of my bag and onto my k-5.

If I'm translating the sign correctly, it accommodates cock fights, bull fights, dances and other ceremonies.

From the entrance:

You may wonder why I didn't get any shots from inside the arena. Me too. I guess I just had this sense that that would have been trespassing with a capital T but I regret not having taken the chance.

Last edited by dadipentak; 03-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #3940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
We did the Spring Break thing in Cancun but the Zona Hoteles is too artificial and boring for me so I went out exploring in a rental car and found this little village on the west side of the highway to Tuluum, opposite Puerto Morelos on the coast. The high point was this crude little "stadium": The 15mm jumped out of my bag and onto my k-5.

If I'm translating the sign correctly, it accommodates cock fights, bull fights, dances and other ceremonies.

From the entrance:

You may wonder why I didn't get any shots from inside the arena. Me too. I guess I just had this sense that that would have been trespassing with a capital T but I regret not having taken the chance.
Geez, with all the bad news about killing in Mexico, you still have the gut to go there, you're brave. Great shots, by the way.
03-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #3941
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Geez, with all the bad news about killing in Mexico, you still have the gut to go there, you're brave. Great shots, by the way.
The "troubles" haven't infected the Yucatan, really--I think the tourism industry provides legitimate avenues to wealth. I didn't feel any more vulnerable there than here in Baltimore. I was a bit startled to see the security guard at the convenience store packing a shot-gun, though.
03-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #3942
Site Supporter

Great photos everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
There is a lot of BS around the actual dangers in Mexico, the media loves to jump on it. No doubt there are crime issues there, but the risk to tourists (who are not involved in things they shouldnt be) is minimal and much less than driving your car down the road at home.

Over 1.5 million Canadians go there every year, usually a few die or get killed, the reality is if 1.5 million people stayed home, some would die and be killed, its just statistics. We have car accidents, rapes, murders and grisly crimes too. Not too many people think twice when they hear about a rape/murder in Toronto or Montreal, but if it happens in Mexico it blows up in the media. In order to stumble into the "wrong part of town" in Mexico City you would need to take a taxi and four buses to get there its HUGE and the slums are on the outskirts.

Use common sense, leave your jewelery at home, stay away from hard drugs, trafficking, and from the North and you should have no issues. It is an amazing country with amazing people, I have backpacked there many times for extended periods, well worth it!

Last edited by Deimos; 03-29-2012 at 11:38 AM.
03-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #3943
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I was a bit startled to see the security guard at the convenience store packing a shot-gun, though.

That might explain the lack of problems.
03-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #3944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
That might explain the lack of problems.
In a way, I think that's right. This was a "rent-a-cop." There's big money invested in the 'Mayan Corridor' so there's a real private stake in protecting it.
03-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #3945
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
No Picnic

3 shot pano

The Salton Sea, California's largest lake, is a tragic yet fascinating place. Once a thriving resort destination; now succumbing to a series of unfortunate ecological factors and a lack of public & political support to save it.

I arrived while it was still dark and just made my way to the waterfront on the west shore without knowing what i'd find. I set up my tripod to shoot this picnic bench and as the first light hit the ground, i was surprised to find the beach riddled with hundreds of dead fish, fish heads, scales, bones, barnacles, and who knows what else. If you imagine there'd be a strong odor here, you'd be quite correct. It was pretty nasty.

I thought about the family vacationers who may have once sat at this bench to enjoy lunch and a great afternoon...this ain't that.
I found this documentary facscinating. It makes you wonder "what could have been".

Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea

Amazon.com: Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea: John Waters, Sonny Bono, Friends of Dean Martinez, Chris Metzler, Jeff Springer: Movies & TV

For those familiar with the area and Salvation Mountain, I heard Leonard Knight is now in a rest home. Not sure what will happen to his mountain though it should be saved as some sort of historical place.