Some of the biggest I've seen!
05-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #4188
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, Dadi..............
05-31-2012, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #4189
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just started processing the images I took on my vacation in Pittsburgh. This photo I took near Kentuck Knob:

06-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #4190
Aon
Veteran Member

Here's a shot from yesterday. Used Hoya nd400 on this one.

Last edited by Aon; 06-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
06-02-2012, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #4191
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Last edited by v5planet; 06-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.
06-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #4192
Pentaxian

excellent Chris!!
love the POV and lines

06-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4193
Veteran Member

It's coming... To be completed by the fourth of July. Been scouting some vantages after work for when the time comes.

[edit]

Incidentally, I just treated myself to LR4 this morning, and I have to say I'm already in love with this program, coming from a pure ACR/Photoshop background. Just such a snappy and responsive program with truly wonderful UI. Trying to learn a new workflow. The ACR engine underneath this is DEFINITELY more powerful than what I've been using in PSCS4; I couldn't salvage this image earlier this week, but I took a look at it in Lightroom... tones snapped to life almost immediately.

Has anyone had experience comparing LR3/4's built in NR vs. Topaz DeNoise? I feel like the latter, which is what I've been using, does a much better job of distinguishing between texture and noise, and muddies detail far less. Anyone else?

Last edited by v5planet; 06-02-2012 at 05:10 PM.
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #4194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Has anyone had experience comparing LR3/4's built in NR vs. Topaz DeNoise? I feel like the latter, which is what I've been using, does a much better job of distinguishing between texture and noise, and muddies detail far less. Anyone else?
I haven't ever used Topaz but I can say that with my switch from LR3 to LR4 I noticed a good improvement in the noise reduction department. I also think that LR4 recovers highlights better, which I was pleased to discover.

Edit: Getting to change the white balance locally with the brush in LR4 is very nice too!

Last edited by TomTextura; 06-03-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: see last line
06-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #4195
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1st Time I've ever used a ND filter , Hoya NDx8.

06-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #4196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I haven't ever used Topaz but I can say that with my switch from LR3 to LR4 I noticed a good improvement in the noise reduction department. I also think that LR4 recovers highlights better, which I was pleased to discover.

Edit: Getting to change the white balance locally with the brush in LR4 is very nice too!
Yeah, LR4's way of playing with tones is awesome. I never used earlier versions of LR, but could you always just grab parts of the histogram and drag them around? That is SUCH a cool feature; breaking the exposure down into blacks, whites, 'exposure', shadows and highlights, allowing users to directly manipulate them from the histogram itself, instead of more abstract 'recovery' and 'fill light' tools (though those still work way better in LR4 than they ever did for me in the old version of ACR I've been using).
06-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote

Yeah, LR4's way of playing with tones is awesome. I never used earlier versions of LR, but could you always just grab parts of the histogram and drag them around? That is SUCH a cool feature; breaking the exposure down into blacks, whites, 'exposure', shadows and highlights, allowing users to directly manipulate them from the histogram itself, instead of more abstract 'recovery' and 'fill light' tools (though those still work way better in LR4 than they ever did for me in the old version of ACR I've been using).

I also noticed the adjustment brush allowed white balance alterations too. Haven't used it yet, but there are plenty of shots I know of of mine that could use that kind of fine control. I usually use Nik Color Efex for that kind of work because their U-point technology works pretty well. But LR might have them beat for that now, I'll have to test it.
06-03-2012, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #4198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
1st Time I've ever used a ND filter , Hoya NDx8.
Fantastic. This would look awesome printed and framed. Am I wrong or does it need to be straightened a bit?
06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #4199
Veteran Member

Awesome shot Chris!
06-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #4200
Veteran Member

I know LR3's histogram allowed that, not sure about earlier versions. I've had a few pictures where that worked the best but usually I find it changes too much at once and I have a hard time dialing in the fine adjustments I want with it so tend to prefer to use the sliders.

Lightroom is great but I do have one complaint about it; it seems like everyone uses it. How, as a Pentaxian, am I supposed to maintain my sense of uniqueness when I'm using the same editing software that everyone else is?!