Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #5221
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
nice one mattt

Beautifully done, the shrub and flowers on the left look almost 3D.

01-07-2013, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #5222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More from my Christmas Eve is for (photographing) fishing series.
Attached Images

01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #5223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had to pull over for this last night. I just happened to be driving down this scenic road and stopped at this old railroad bridge remnant.

01-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #5224
Veteran Member

DA 15 never letting me down.

01-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #5225
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I could join up...

Well, I made it through this thread again. For the third time, maybe the fourth. The first time was when I first bought my samsung GX1 (?) The next time was with the same Samsung, but just before I came to live in China, nearly 5 years ago. Then in late 2011, after I bought my K-r. And now after having lost that K-r and replaced it with a K-5, it took me 2 or 3 weeks to get through the 349 pages. (I just realised, I should post a series in the Kit Lens club, I have had 3 different generations of the 18-55!)

And I STILL haven't got myself a DA15!! Before China I just couldn't afford it, and now I live in a part of China with almost permanent cloud cover, and no interesting scenery for miles around. So tell me - what is the 15 like as a street lens? In the hands of a skilled photographer it is obvious that it is glorious as a landscape lens, and it seems excellent for architectural stuff, too. But as a laowai I am already noticeable when walking around, and people here seem to always be keeping an eye on me, I dunno why. So the idea of discreet street work would be very hard to pull of when I am only a few metres away, being really "in your face" with a UWA lens. I tried a bit with my 40 XS pancake, and was able to stay a bit more remote, but the results weren't really what I wanted. (Probably the problem is BEHIND the plane of focus...)

Or should I get the 21 pancake?
01-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #5226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
... So tell me - what is the 15 like as a street lens?
You will, as you say, have to be in the subjects face. However, because of the wide angle you could be off to the side and point (apparently) directly ahead and still get them in frame. I suspect you'd be doing much the same for the 21. I'd never have the courage to front right up and shoot with a 15mm. However, because you can get more in frame, the potential for more croppable areas exists, too.

I'm not sure how many people really do street with a 15mm, not too many I think.
01-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #5227

Last edited by iittoo; 01-08-2013 at 04:36 AM.
01-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #5228
Veteran Member

Well, I made it through this thread again. For the third time, maybe the fourth. The first time was when I first bought my samsung GX1 (?) The next time was with the same Samsung, but just before I came to live in China, nearly 5 years ago. Then in late 2011, after I bought my K-r. And now after having lost that K-r and replaced it with a K-5, it took me 2 or 3 weeks to get through the 349 pages. (I just realised, I should post a series in the Kit Lens club, I have had 3 different generations of the 18-55!)

And I STILL haven't got myself a DA15!! Before China I just couldn't afford it, and now I live in a part of China with almost permanent cloud cover, and no interesting scenery for miles around. So tell me - what is the 15 like as a street lens? In the hands of a skilled photographer it is obvious that it is glorious as a landscape lens, and it seems excellent for architectural stuff, too. But as a laowai I am already noticeable when walking around, and people here seem to always be keeping an eye on me, I dunno why. So the idea of discreet street work would be very hard to pull of when I am only a few metres away, being really "in your face" with a UWA lens. I tried a bit with my 40 XS pancake, and was able to stay a bit more remote, but the results weren't really what I wanted. (Probably the problem is BEHIND the plane of focus...)

Or should I get the 21 pancake?
Offer a "tip" for a pic. It's better than taking a beat-down for intrusion.
01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #5229
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I don't understand. Does this forum actually impose beat-downs for intrusion? (Whatever that means)

Aha, I get it! Sort of recompense my subjects for taking a photo of them? That would be a nightmare - the Chinese culture is very much against tipping, tradesmen would far rather enjoy ripping off the laowai. (foreigner) In fact I call it laowai price, so I usually get my wife to do the haggling and the buying, and lurk around outside the shop. Or she negotiates rickshaw prices, then I sweep up and jump on when she signals to me. (My Dragon Lady is Chinese.)

But I read in one book recently that one professional photographer often gives the subject a print of the shot as a kind of tip, that would be an idea. I wonder how much battery mini printers cost? More kilo in the kitbag though...

Last edited by Bagga_Txips; 01-08-2013 at 07:19 AM.
01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #5230
Veteran Member

DA 15 as a street lens (;? It's actually my favorite street lens, because people don't even know that I'm photographing them! here's some shots that I got last time I went out to the big city.

These are from my facebook account, SOOC.

I don't know why she smiled, but she had no idea that she was photographed!

It is a much better lens in daylight, because you can use a smaller aperture and pretty much everything you point at is in focus. I love that I don't need to worry about my DOF, and I can shoot from my waist.(I use my k01 for this). But yes it's an awesome lens if you don't want to get notice, but the thing is you have to develop a certain shooting style to use it. I still prefer asking If I can get a photo of them.

But I read in one book recently that one professional photographer often gives the subject a print of the shot as a kind of tip, that would be an idea. I wonder how much battery mini printers cost? More kilo in the kitbag though...
I haven't read it anywhere but that's what I'm planning to do this summer in DC or in MD. I'll use my Polaroid camera (Almost everyone loves Polaroid, specially those hipster kids.) and then I'ma go ask people if they want a Polaroid shot of them, after that I'ma take a portrait shot, something like this, , and since they got something for free, there's a 90% chance that they'll smile for my digital.

(: win, win I guess.

P.S. that's not my portrait right there. that's from Danny santos II

Last edited by kaiserz; 01-09-2013 at 01:41 PM.
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #5231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i enjoy using it as a street lens too, but do find that more cropping is usually involved...
01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #5232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I don't understand. Does this forum actually impose beat-downs for intrusion? (Whatever that means)
I think this is a reference to a hostile photo subject, not forum members.
01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #5233
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Beautifully done, the shrub and flowers on the left look almost 3D.
Thanks!
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5234
Site Supporter

Great work everyone. Another beach scene:

01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #5235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ice on Tucker Lake.