Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, the all-knowing Wikipedia places the FOV of the human eye at 95 degrees, not counting peripheral vision (Human eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That's one eye, I guess, not binocular. Of course, peripheral vision isn't an all-or-nothing thing. It's a gradual falloff, not a sudden cutoff. Another source I found in a search puts non-peripheral bincoluar vision at 100 degrees, another 120, another still 140. But measures that take resolution and other factors into consideration peg vision at a much narrower range - 50 degrees, for example.

If there one's thing clear from a small amount of research, it's that there is no One True Measure of the FOV of human vision, no matter how objectively one tries to define it.

The DA15 at 86 degrees might not match any particular existing objective measure, but I'm talking about something more subjective. Even going down the DA14 and its 90 degree FOV, I have a distinct feeling that I am taking in more with the camera than with my eyes, despite what some objective test might tell me I really was seeing (but apparently not at the level of acuity I am thinking of).

Anyhow, given the subjective nature of all this, it doesn't surprise me that others might not see things the way I do, but again, I think the fact that it fits so well *for* me has a lot to do with why this has become my most used lens.

07-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #722
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
FWIW, the all-knowing Wikipedia places the FOV of the human eye at 95 degrees, not counting peripheral vision (Human eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That's one eye, I guess, not binocular. Of course, peripheral vision isn't an all-or-nothing thing. It's a gradual falloff, not a sudden cutoff. Another source I found in a search puts non-peripheral bincoluar vision at 100 degrees, another 120, another still 140. But measures that take resolution and other factors into consideration peg vision at a much narrower range - 50 degrees, for example.

If there one's thing clear from a small amount of research, it's that there is no One True Measure of the FOV of human vision, no matter how objectively one tries to define it.

The DA15 at 86 degrees might not match any particular existing objective measure, but I'm talking about something more subjective. Even going down the DA14 and its 90 degree FOV, I have a distinct feeling that I am taking in more with the camera than with my eyes, despite what some objective test might tell me I really was seeing (but apparently not at the level of acuity I am thinking of).

Anyhow, given the subjective nature of all this, it doesn't surprise me that others might not see things the way I do, but again, I think the fact that it fits so well *for* me has a lot to do with why this has become my most used lens.

This is an interesting subject, and I was thinking about this a couple years ago when I was shooting my 12-24 a lot.

I think our FOV is actually incredibly wide, but the MTF scores our eyes would register () near the extreme edges would be so low as to make us almost blind in those regions. In fact, at the edges of or vision we can really only detect movement - not even any course detail like how many fingers someone is holding up at the edge of our peripheral vision, even if they're standing only a few feet from us. But if they wave the hand a little, then our brain registers it and can even judge accurate distance to it.

Also, I think the 'normal' idea with regards to lenses gets mixed up a bit - some people use it to mean magnification, others use it to mean FOV. When I look at my shots from the DA 15, or through the viewfinder, it does seem very close to what I feel that I 'see' with my own eyes with respect to FOV. That might contribute to why it seems so fun to see shots from it - I feel like I'm along for the ride, in the picture a lot of the time.

07-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #723
Pentaxian

Great thread!

I got the DA15 recently and its size just means that I bring it out more than any UWA option. In fact it does serve rather well as a 'day out' lens.

2 recent shots from a local Pentax outing.

Landscapes in the morning

An Orchid Garden for breakfast
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #724
Veteran Member

Love the landscape, pinholecam!

I'm getting a bit better at finding opportunities to use the DA15 for concert photography - as long as I'm comfortable enough with the setting and musicians.

07-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #725
MSM
Veteran Member

Well, I too have succumb to mind control and picked up a 15mm this week. I must say that it is different in that I am so used to 35-77 mm that it is going to take a while to get adjusted.

@Marc: I know that you have commented on various threads about 'corner softness' of the 15 mm. I generally don't worry about these issues and perhaps I should. Any recommendations regarding testing that the lens is in factory spec conditions. Part of my problem is that I don't have much WA experience and I can't tell if what I am seeing at the edges is acceptable or if there is a problem. The reason I bring this up is that I saw another thread where a member returned his 15 mm due to a de-centered lens. Honestly, I saw the pics that were posted and they looked fine but at 100% peeping it was clear to some that the lens had a major 'centering' issue. To me it looked just like blurred edges. Should I test or just take pics?

Thoughts from anyone else?

sorry to derail all the 15mm love...
07-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #726
MSM
Veteran Member

Here are a couple humble offerings with my new 15 mm limited.
Name:  _IGP21162010-07-10.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  444.4 KB

Name:  _IGP21342010-07-10.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  83.5 KB
07-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #727
Veteran Member

I'm not really a lens tester, so I don't have any great insight. I'll just say if you're looking to test corners, most of the effort will center on getting them in focus, since that's rarely going to be the case at the apertures where there is allegedly an issue.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-12-2010 at 11:07 AM.
07-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #728
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm not realy a lens tester, so I don't have any great insight. I'll just say if you're looking to test corners, most of the effort will center on getitng them in focus, since that's rarely going to be the case at the apertures where there is allegedly an issue.
I understand. I am trying not to be one of those testers either. I guess after reading the aforementioned thread I got paranoid. Perhaps, I need someone to say to me that 'yeah, your lens is fine. The problem with the pictures is you.' I can live with that. As they say, 'It is not where you start...'
07-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #729
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Wow Ecaterin. Wow.
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Also, Ecaterin... good grief those are just outstanding! Pentax seriously needs to give some kick back from all the sales this thread has lead to!

Keep em coming!
QuoteOriginally posted by fredrikj Quote
He he, no, of course you wouldn't. Great summer-photo! Beautiful.
Aegon, kalison & fredrixj, whoa - I'm really complimented on my swimming pool & sun shot, thank you!!

This was taken yesterday from the railroad overpass at Carkeek Park, Seattle - that's Puget Sound shoreline on the left. We had the fun of a northbound and a southbound train cross right under us at almost the same time - makes the whole walkway shake!

Interesting discussion on the concept of natural FOV - I'm sure that my preference for the 15mm (and the reason that a longer focal length lens always feels cramped) is that my *awareness* FOV is about the same as this lens. When I look at a scene, I focus on about the scope that the 15mm sees, which is why the 15 is my walk around lens of choice. Probably great hay could be made of this psychologically you guys - Those who see wide vs. those who see long At any rate, my brain takes in what this lens sees, so it works perfectly for me.

This lens gives more keeper photos than any other lens I've had - every new good one I get I'm thinking, "This is my favorite photo!" .....and then it keeps giving more good shots!

Last edited by Ecaterin; 07-11-2010 at 10:28 PM.
07-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #730
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Great thread!
I got the DA15 recently and its size just means that I bring it out more than any UWA option. In fact it does serve rather well as a 'day out' lens.
WHOA pinholecam!! Those colors are unreal! Mother nature has no worries about being over the top, does she Gorgeous!
07-12-2010, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #731

Sharing a shot taken at Lower Seletar Reservoir - Sunrise

Cheers
07-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #732

Singapore - Sentosa

Hope you guys like them!
07-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #733
Veteran Member

Love the landscape Pinholecam

Marc ... wonderful indoors shots considering the F stop

Some amazing shots from all comers to this wonderful inspiring thread

Neil