Couple more with the DA15.

03-08-2015, 03:40 PM - 5 Likes   #8312
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

03-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #8313
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing photos everyone! I've been trying to decide on a landscape primary; looks like this thread has made my mind up for me!
03-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #8314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Nice one!

03-09-2015, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #8315
Veteran Member

Cross-post from the K3 samples thread.... I like posting here. This thread is what inspired me to buy the 15 mm.

This shot is ISO 2200 with the K3, f8 / 1/60-s at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

03-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #8316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Cross-post from the K3 samples thread.... I like posting here. This thread is what inspired me to buy the 15 mm.

This shot is ISO 2200 with the K3, f8 / 1/60-s at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
I like the way the 15mm and the exposure made the gallery of people disappear in that shot. As though it was in space alone.
03-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #8317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I like the way the 15mm and the exposure made the gallery of people disappear in that shot. As though it was in space alone.
Thanks. You can thank NASA for that. They purposely displayed the shuttle for that reason (I think). It makes it very impressive. Very little PP was needed on that shot except some minor WB adjustment and minor highlight recovery. The K3 has all but eliminated my need for sharpening or clarity adjustments, especially with this lens (and my other limited lenses).

03-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #8318
Veteran Member

Cross-posting, from a great winter hike. Waterfalls were a bit different than dagaetch's!

03-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #8319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been following this thread religiously and cannot believe it's already up to 555 pages.
It seems like it just started yesterday. Well, time has flown, anyway.

I have a quick question: I don't yet have an SMC 15mm, but I was wondering: Sometimes, I love the large ray of light explosions everyone has shown, but there are a few times where I would have tried to take the shot with more emphasis on the actual subject (shoreline, bridge, workyard, etc) and not have the starbursts just quite as prominent. Is there any technique which can be used to shrink or lessen the prominence of the starbursts at times? Opening up the lens? Longer or shorter exposure? What do those with lots of experience with the lens think?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
03-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #8320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I have been following this thread religiously and cannot believe it's already up to 555 pages.

I have a quick question: I don't yet have an SMC 15mm, but I was wondering: Sometimes, I love the large ray of light explosions everyone has shown, but there are a few times where I would have tried to take the shot with more emphasis on the actual subject (shoreline, bridge, workyard, etc) and not have the starbursts just quite as prominent. Is there any technique which can be used to shrink or lessen the prominence of the starbursts at times? Opening up the lens? Longer or shorter exposure? What do those with lots of experience with the lens think?
Open it up and/or don't have the light source in the frame.
03-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #8321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As said above, wider apertures give less of the effect. And not having pin point light sources in the final copy.

Here is my month of shots with the 15 from January, I don't think there are many starbursts there at all.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/71929-unclevanya/albums/9251-single-january/
03-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #8322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As said above, wider apertures give less of the effect. And not having pin point light sources in the final copy.

Here is my month of shots with the 15 from January, I don't think there are many starbursts there at all.
UncleVanya's Album: Single in January - PentaxForums.com
+1 You need to be after the starbusts to get them usually. I never noticed any starburst on my version while I got some out of random on DA35 f/2.4... And really it was like 1 picture.
03-09-2015, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #8323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote

I think a lot depends on whether you shoot right into the sun or, other really bright light source. There is a lot stronger temptation to do that with the DA 15, because it is so flare resistant, but you don't have to. If you shot at f4 or f5.6, then you will have less of a star burst.

03-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #8324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks folks!
I like bridges, among other things, and was curious about night shots which would by necessity include all the lights along the bridge. In some cases, starbursts would be great. In others, depending on the bridge, maybe some of the structure might be a bit obscured, so I wondered if they could be "called into being" or arrived on their own.

On the car examples posted here, I think the starbursts look fantastic. And autos happen to be another interest.
03-10-2015, 02:51 AM - 6 Likes   #8325

Woke up really early one morning in Bali. Was fortunate to spot this fisherman moving out for the day