Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #8806
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
My new (to me) lens. Liking it a lot.
It appears to be working out well for you - nicely done

This is a five shot pano with the 15mm. This valley was burned out 12 years ago with the Lost Creek Fire that went through our area. The new growth is coming in extremely well and is now roughly 6 feet high and amazingly thick. Fire was started by a careless camper and burned out 200 square kilometers and came close to burning out the town but nature is showing her resilience. We have had extremely smokey conditions here the last couple of weeks from the major fires presently burning in Idaho and Washington and it brings back memories of the devastation. We have a break in the smoke this morning.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-30-2015, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #8807
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Niagara falls

---------- Post added 08-30-15 at 02:41 PM ----------

---------- Post added 08-30-15 at 02:42 PM ----------

08-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #8808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote
Beautiful shot! Very striking, and a little different to the typical landscape-type shot on the DA 15mm.
thanks!
08-31-2015, 03:13 AM - 4 Likes   #8809
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Horses at Dawn.

08-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #8810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
It appears to be working out well for you - nicely done
Thank you rkappleby.
08-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #8811
Pentaxian

Casa Loma
movies such as X-Men, Strange Brew, Chicago, The Tuxedo, was filmed in Casa loma

---------- Post added 08-31-15 at 10:39 PM ----------

08-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #8812
Veteran Member

@ultraviolet, @Rondec, @rkappleby : you guys are posting some wonderful pics; especially the Niagara falls, misty morning and landscape (pano). I recently acquired the lens and couldn't get used to it. I couldn't nail the focus great on it with my K7, but my *istDL is working great for infrared pics!! Have to work with it extensively. Any tips in nailing focus with 15mm?

09-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #8813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ntrao Quote
@ultraviolet, @Rondec, @rkappleby : you guys are posting some wonderful pics; especially the Niagara falls, misty morning and landscape (pano). I recently acquired the lens and couldn't get used to it. I couldn't nail the focus great on it with my K7, but my *istDL is working great for infrared pics!! Have to work with it extensively. Any tips in nailing focus with 15mm?
What I usually do is switch to MF, then adjust the focus as I want using zoom in live view to check while the camera is on a tripod. Or, sometimes I just use MF and the hyperfocal scale which I have available on my DA15 (if I shoot at f8 for instance I just have to align f8 with the center of the infinity mark). If you prefer AF, I guess you can focus on something 1/3 of the frame for some hyperfocal approximation.

There are more detailed posts about how to get sharp focus with DA15. Some in this thread, and I think there was a separate thread even.
09-01-2015, 02:21 AM   #8814
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually just set the lens to somewhere between the 1 meter and infinity mark and the aperture to f8 and shoot away. If I want to focus on something really close to the camera, I will use auto focus to get it exact, but otherwise hyperfocal really works well here.
09-01-2015, 03:31 AM   #8815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I do - hyperfocusing is the way to go.

I often stop down (as I do with other lenses) and use manual focusing to set the focus point where sharpness shall start. To set this focus point I change the focus until appearing fine contrast lines (hopefully there are some) I see in the OVF are optimized in sharpness. With this lens that's really difficult because of it's wide angle and slowness. If the viewfinder gets too dark by stopping down this procedure doesn't make any sense. Then I use the focusing scale of the lens.

Most of time I use the autofocus only to prefocus.
09-01-2015, 05:37 AM   #8816
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for your tips about hyper-focusing. I would definitely try it. If I am not wrong, it works only with subjects at infinity, right?
09-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #8817
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much for your tips about hyper-focusing. I would definitely try it. If I am not wrong, it works only with subjects at infinity, right?
Hyper focal depends on the aperture. With a lens like the 15, you can get everything in focus from just over a meter away to infinity at f8. If you stop down more you should be able to focus closer and still have infinity in focus. I seldom shoot this lens trying for narrow depth of field so that works pretty well.
09-01-2015, 11:43 AM - 8 Likes   #8818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few from the Canadian Rockies

09-01-2015, 06:20 PM - 5 Likes   #8819
Pentaxian

Fantastic shots riseform!

Two panos with the 15mm.

09-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #8820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
A few from the Canadian Rockies
Fantastic shots. Was pixel shift activated for some? I'm curious to see what it does for landscapes, assuming not that much is moving.