Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #8941

K5IIs+15mm ltd,Hazindak Yaylası(Hazindak Plateau),Turkiye

10-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #8942
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@mattb123 - Looking again at your photo #1 above, there is something that appeals to me about the presentation. I would love to hear some expanded details about your exposure, time of day, and, particularly post processing details. The colors are superb, as is the intensity. If you prefer, I can pm you, but perhaps others may be interested, if you have a moment to spare.
10-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #8943
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by turkiye2turkiye Quote
I really like that one, thanks for sharing the image
10-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #8944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
@mattb123 - Looking again at your photo #1 above, there is something that appeals to me about the presentation. I would love to hear some expanded details about your exposure, time of day, and, particularly post processing details. The colors are superb, as is the intensity. If you prefer, I can pm you, but perhaps others may be interested, if you have a moment to spare.
I don't mind; glad you like it. Hopefully others won't mind either.
It was a little after 6pm last night. This is ranch land that has been designated as public open space. It doesn't get used a lot so I usually have the place to myself and it's very close to where I live. Tomichi Creek runs through it and it's a nice spot for fishing, walking, and XC skiing in winter.
I'd been shooting and walking the dog a bit, just handheld with my small kit (K-S2 and a few Limited primes). The clouds kept catching my eye and I was looking for compositions to include them. When Luna crossed the water to this little island I could see this composition coming together but I had to move back a little and crouch to fit the clouds in. I took 10 or so similar exposures over a minute or so as she explored and this was the best of the bunch. I chimped to see if the clouds were blowing out and found they were so I set Ev to -2/3 so they didn't blow out (much). There was a big difference in light between the shaded foreground and sunlit clouds in the background.
1/125s, f/8, ISO 200 in Av mode, RAW (dng).
Processed in Lightroom 6: Punch preset on import, increased exposure, increased shadows, decreased highlights.
Finished in Nik Color Efex Pro: Detail Extractor, Brilliance & Warmth, maybe some Contrast Color Range (needs to be used sparingly)

10-07-2015, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #8945
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by turkiye2turkiye Quote

Spectacular!
10-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #8946
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I don't mind; glad you like it. Hopefully others won't mind either.
It was a little after 6pm last night. This is ranch land that has been designated as public open space. It doesn't get used a lot so I usually have the place to myself and it's very close to where I live. Tomichi Creek runs through it and it's a nice spot for fishing, walking, and XC skiing in winter.
I'd been shooting and walking the dog a bit, just handheld with my small kit (K-S2 and a few Limited primes). The clouds kept catching my eye and I was looking for compositions to include them. When Luna crossed the water to this little island I could see this composition coming together but I had to move back a little and crouch to fit the clouds in. I took 10 or so similar exposures over a minute or so as she explored and this was the best of the bunch. I chimped to see if the clouds were blowing out and found they were so I set Ev to -2/3 so they didn't blow out (much). There was a big difference in light between the shaded foreground and sunlit clouds in the background.
1/125s, f/8, ISO 200 in Av mode, RAW (dng).
Processed in Lightroom 6: Punch preset on import, increased exposure, increased shadows, decreased highlights.
Finished in Nik Color Efex Pro: Detail Extractor, Brilliance & Warmth, maybe some Contrast Color Range (needs to be used sparingly)

Thanks very much for sharing. Couple of questions:

Punch preset?

Nik Color Efex Pro: Do you feel that that's what's giving the 3D effect in the foreground (water/dog/land)? Or, is the contrast? I need to give the Nik a try one of these days.

Anyway, very nice photograph. Serendipity and work make a good combination.
10-07-2015, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #8947
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Thanks very much for sharing. Couple of questions:

Punch preset?

Nik Color Efex Pro: Do you feel that that's what's giving the 3D effect in the foreground (water/dog/land)? Or, is the contrast? I need to give the Nik a try one of these days.

Anyway, very nice photograph. Serendipity and work make a good combination.
Thanks!

Yeah, Punch is in the Lightroom General Presets preset group in Lightroom. I usually have it applied to my RAW files on import or they may look a little flat. That makes a good starting point for most images. It can make jpegs look a little over-cooked sometimes IMO but I rarely shoot jpeg.
The 3d effect is probably at least partially caused by this lens. It (and other Limiteds) are said to give a nice 3D-looking rendering. The Detail Extractor in Color Efex Pro probably exaggerates that effect even more.

10-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #8948
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks!

Yeah, Punch is in the Lightroom General Presets preset group in Lightroom. I usually have it applied to my RAW files on import or they may look a little flat. That makes a good starting point for most images. It can make jpegs look a little over-cooked sometimes IMO but I rarely shoot jpeg.
The 3d effect is probably at least partially caused by this lens. It (and other Limiteds) are said to give a nice 3D-looking rendering. The Detail Extractor in Color Efex Pro probably exaggerates that effect even more.

Hmmm. I haven't tended to use the presets, preferring to mess around with the sliders on my own. But I think I'll give that one a try and see what I see. And try the Nik as well. Thanks!
10-08-2015, 03:37 AM   #8949

Finally got my hands on one of these for a decent price used. A fantastic feeling lens, and the flare resistance/sunstars are great. Alas, something about the sharpness isn't quite what I expected, but I think it may just be the copy I've got. Center is pin sharp, and the edges are generally ok, but there seems to be a large area on the right/top-right side that is always out of focus/soft. Of course, it might just be me, but I can consistently get sharper shots across the frame with my sigma 10-20 easily. Maybe I was expecting too much from the 15? Either way, I'm going to send this one back and hope to find another! The 15mm limited will probably continue to control my mind until I can own one again

Unless someone can tell me I'm just doing something wrong/not seeing it right? Both taken at f/11, hyperfocal focus

Top left and top right 100% crops:

Middle left and middle right 100% crops:

Another couple, if this lens were sharp I don't think I'd take it off my K-7 for quite a while!

10-08-2015, 03:57 AM   #8950
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerique Quote
Finally got my hands on one of these for a decent price used.
That last shot of the spider is a cracker, defocused top-right issues or not!
10-08-2015, 03:59 AM   #8951
Veteran Member

I think we all agree that da15 is not the sharpest tool in the shed but it's not the beauty of this lens.
10-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #8952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Path Beside the Wabash.

10-08-2015, 04:15 AM   #8953

QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote
That last shot of the spider is a cracker, defocused top-right issues or not!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
I think we all agree that da15 is not the sharpest tool in the shed but it's not the beauty of this lens.
True, true. Perhaps I was expecting a little too much, I guess the corners/edges are the weakness that comes with this lens, just got to deal with it. No denying that other than that it's an absolute gem.
10-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #8954
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerique Quote
Finally got my hands on one of these for a decent price used. A fantastic feeling lens, and the flare resistance/sunstars are great. Alas, something about the sharpness isn't quite what I expected, but I think it may just be the copy I've got. Center is pin sharp, and the edges are generally ok, but there seems to be a large area on the right/top-right side that is always out of focus/soft. Of course, it might just be me, but I can consistently get sharper shots across the frame with my sigma 10-20 easily. Maybe I was expecting too much from the 15? Either way, I'm going to send this one back and hope to find another! The 15mm limited will probably continue to control my mind until I can own one again

Unless someone can tell me I'm just doing something wrong/not seeing it right? Both taken at f/11, hyperfocal focus

Top left and top right 100% crops:

Middle left and middle right 100% crops:

Another couple, if this lens were sharp I don't think I'd take it off my K-7 for quite a while!

My copy is pretty much like yours. Not sure that any other copy would be any different. Once you are aware of it, you can learn to use composition to avoid the worst of it, or crop it if you feel the need. I leave it alone and no one has ever complained

Regards,
Dan
10-08-2015, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-S2 & DA 15 selfie. (x-post)
The light was so nice while I was out riding last night I had to get a shot with the only model I had handy, me!
Camera was balanced on my backpack on a rock. Tripod would have made a better shot but I don't like to carry it mountain biking.