Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #11716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too busy with its own reflection to notice you!

Thanks for the explanation. I have yet to experiment with night shots, but yours have left me intrigued.

Cheers,
Loyd

04-22-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #11717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Thanks!
I'm using manual focus in this scenario. The focal point is aligned with the plane of the sensor beam when the camera trap is set up. When the sensor detects the animal, it sends a signal to awaken the camera and flashes which immediately fire.
Shutter speed really doesn't matter as the flash is providing the only light at night and therefore determining the time of exposure. Depending on the distance from the flash and speed of the anticipated subject I adjust the flash power.
The night I was using the DA15, I set the shutter speed at 1/160. I believe I had the manual flashes set around 1/16 power.
The previous evening, I used the K1 and Irix 15 and left the shutter open for 15 seconds. This allowed the flash to illuminate the animal and then remained open long enough to illuminate some overhead stars.

Here's a hooded skunk from the same night.
This was quite a character, as it literally passed inches from my feet while I was standing still in the dark of night away from the camera trap location. All I could see with my night adjusted eyes was an albino appearing top of an animal walking toward me. I illuminated my phone and realized it was the hooded skunk! Thankfully, it was unaware that it practically stepped on my toes as it ambled by.
Super impressive work! Wow!
04-22-2021, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #11718
Pentaxian

A little camera trapping in Arizona this weekend with the DA 15 and K3ii
Finally got my bobcat
Fantastic shot!
04-23-2021, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #11719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have said, great work

04-23-2021, 12:38 PM - 14 Likes   #11720
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks all. It was great to be in such a productive location. My trap set up at home here in Washington doesn't quite get the same variety or frequency of visitors as one gets in the desert of Arizona.

Here are two more of the bobcat. it gave me a lot of good poses.

04-23-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #11721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all. It was great to be in such a productive location. My trap set up at home here in Washington doesn't quite get the same variety or frequency of visitors as one gets in the desert of Arizona.

Here are two more of the bobcat. it gave me a lot of good poses.

Fantastic!
04-23-2021, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #11722
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, I had three separate camera traps going each night! That was a lot of gear and flashes to bring to Arizona, but it was well worth it. I struck out on bats, but got three species of skunk, a gray fox, the bobcat and a gazillion species of mice.This particular set up used the Camtraptions PIR 3 wireless sensor and I always use Camtraptions triggers and receivers for the remote flashes.
Thanks for sharing more of the images and for your tips, @riseform. I looked through your "camera trap" album on Flickr, taken over a couple of years. What a great set.

In fact your whole Flickr stream is one of the most under-appreciated I have ever seen.

04-23-2021, 08:10 PM - 7 Likes   #11723
Pentaxian

steel wool & star trails.....K-r...DA15ltd

04-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #11724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
steel wool & star trails.....K-r...DA15ltd
Yay, another steel wool shooter here!
04-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #11725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Yay, another steel wool shooter here!
first time and it was a blast!
04-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #11726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

first time and it was a blast!
That's pretty good for a first time.

Be mindful of where you spin. Fires have been started, including a somewhat famous one that burned down a landmark boat that had run aground. It looked like that may have been a wooden structure you were on, so making sure you know there is a risk there.
04-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #11727
Pentaxian

Be mindful of where you spin. Fires have been started, including a somewhat famous one that burned down a landmark boat that had run aground. It looked like that may have been a wooden structure you were on, so making sure you know there is a risk there.
oh yeh.....some ambers did start a flame on the wooden deck which was squashed out quickly.....had a fire extinguisher on hand and hung around for a good few afterwards......but definitely must be mindful of the surroundings!!
04-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #11728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

oh yeh.....some ambers did start a flame on the wooden deck which was squashed out quickly.....had a fire extinguisher on hand and hung around for a good few afterwards......but definitely must be mindful of the surroundings!!
Or just do like I do and find a big concrete culvert to spin inside. Then the only thing at risk of being set on fire is myself.
04-24-2021, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #11729

Here's something I took this past winter. The image was practically black and white and very contrasty to begin with, so I hardly had to edit it at all. What I ended up doing was removing colour entirely with Rawtherapee, and then very subtly colour toning it. I wonder if it's at all distinguishable in a jpeg.

04-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #11730
Pentaxian

Then the only thing at risk of being set on fire is myself.
hahaha! right!