Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #11776
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Ok. Thanks Rondec. It is always good to know about programs that produce rich images like yours. How is it for black and white?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-16-21 at 04:44 PM ----------

Sheesh. I'm glad your lens isn't damaged. Thanks again for the link. Are there any other links that EVERY Pentax owner should be aware of? I am constantly experimenting with lens and body combinations. I especially love old lenses. They force me to pay attention.

A few years ago I tried to find an original version of the 15mm. Bought one online. Turned out to be the new version, so I returned it. Was I mistaken? Is the older version any better than the HD version?

Cheers,
Loyd
There are better starbursts on the smc version. But there are good images to be had from both.

05-17-2021, 07:58 AM - 5 Likes   #11777
Pentaxian

Around
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-17-2021, 08:42 AM - 4 Likes   #11778

After the rain

Always a pleasure to play with one of my favorite lenses .

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
To Jonathan Mac: Nice perspective!! very good capture.
Greetings.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
05-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #11779
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are better starbursts on the smc version. But there are good images to be had from both.
If you had to choose, would you buy a used smc or a new HD?

Cheers,
Loyd.

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 09:48 AM ----------

This is using Nik Effects?

Cheers,
Loyd

05-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #11780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you had to choose, would you buy a used smc or a new HD?

Cheers,
Loyd.

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 09:48 AM ----------

This is using Nik Effects?

Cheers,
Loyd
I bought the SMC DA 15 as I love the starburst effect and find the 15 a lens that I don’t tend to need improved flare resistance from as it is already excellent. I also don’t see smoother bokeh from an f4 wide angle being much of a driver for me.
For each DA limited my answer is specific to that lens:

DA 21 same as DA 15.

DA 35 (I don’t own) - I would give the edge to the HD version.

DA 40 (I own the SMC) - I think I might like the HD if I tried it as bokeh is more of a possible benefit than starbursts on this lens the way I use it. Flare handling is a lower concern.

DA 70 (I own the HD) - Improved bokeh is important to me here but having never shot the SMC I’m not clear what I might be overthinking and what is real.

DA 20-40 (I own) has only ever been offered in HD as far as I recall.
05-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #11781
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you own any zoom lenses apart from the 20-40? I checked out your albums. You seem to be more into portraits than landscapes. I'm a "close-ups" person as well, but I often use a telephoto to achieve this. By the way, I love your close-up of the pig.
Cheers,
Loyd
05-17-2021, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #11782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you own any zoom lenses apart from the 20-40? I checked out your albums. You seem to be more into portraits than landscapes. I'm a "close-ups" person as well, but I often use a telephoto to achieve this. By the way, I love your close-up of the pig.
Cheers,
Loyd
Me? I am all over the place. And I have a lot of zooms.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 05-17-2021 at 06:45 PM.
05-18-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #11783
Pentaxian

Abandoned
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #11784
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Jonathan Mac.

I checked out some of your other photos on Flickr. Loved the one of a daisy nestled between fox-tails. I think it's called White and Yellow.

It appears that you enjoy using older lenses on the K3. I do too. Have you tried the smc Pentax-A 1:2 50mm on your K3? This is my first lens (1980 K1000), and I had hoped it would result in some interesting photos. If you have any tips about using this lens or any of the older Pentax, Vivitar, etc lenses, I would be happy to hear them.

Cheers,
Loyd
06-04-2021, 11:21 AM - 21 Likes   #11785

Photos: Albums
When pacing up and down like an expectant dad, waiting for the new K3iii to hit the shelves, my photographer buddy said: "Why don't you get a Sony or a Fuji?" And the single reason I laughed off that suggestion as being completely ridiculous is the 15mm limited. It is just the most amazing lens I've ever come across. Wherever I go, it goes with me. The way it captures the sun is absolutely unique and it separates pics between those taken with the 15mm limited and those that weren't. 8 years ago, I bought the 15mm limited because of this thread and maybe, just maybe, this post will inspire others to do the same
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #11786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VenatorLux Quote
Always a pleasure to play with one of my favorite lenses .

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 08:45 AM ----------

To Jonathan Mac: Nice perspective!! very good capture.
Greetings.
It's incredible how well you caught the leaf, macro like.
06-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #11787
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
When pacing up and down like an expectant dad, waiting for the new K3iii to hit the shelves, my photographer buddy said: "Why don't you get a Sony or a Fuji?" And the single reason I laughed off that suggestion as being completely ridiculous is the 15mm limited. It is just the most amazing lens I've ever come across. Wherever I go, it goes with me. The way it captures the sun is absolutely unique and it separates pics between those taken with the 15mm limited and those that weren't. 8 years ago, I bought the 15mm limited because of this thread and maybe, just maybe, this post will inspire others to do the same
That large bird with the wickedly hooked bill is how far away from you? Love it! And you used 1/500th of a second? Some chaps on another thread recommended this setting for birds. I'll try my luck tomorrow.

I'm assuming you bought the HD version of the 15mm. Any problems matching it with the K5?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-17-2021, 05:53 PM - 8 Likes   #11788
Pentaxian

A few of my favorites using this special limited lens.

06-18-2021, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #11789

Photos: Albums
That large bird with the wickedly hooked bill is how far away from you? Love it! And you used 1/500th of a second? Some chaps on another thread recommended this setting for birds. I'll try my luck tomorrow.

I'm assuming you bought the HD version of the 15mm. Any problems matching it with the K5?

Cheers,
Loyd
that was at the top of Ben Lomond in Queenstown. All of a sudden the Kea was there and stared at the goodies in my backpack. So I assume I was barely 1.5 meters away

I have the "old" version, which has the wicked starbursts. Worked without any problems on the K5. Haven't tried it yet on the K3-iii
06-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #11790
Pentaxian

Hi Jonathan Mac.

I checked out some of your other photos on Flickr. Loved the one of a daisy nestled between fox-tails. I think it's called White and Yellow.

It appears that you enjoy using older lenses on the K3. I do too. Have you tried the smc Pentax-A 1:2 50mm on your K3? This is my first lens (1980 K1000), and I had hoped it would result in some interesting photos. If you have any tips about using this lens or any of the older Pentax, Vivitar, etc lenses, I would be happy to hear them.

Cheers,
Loyd
I've never had one of the 50mm f/2s but I own three copies of the M 50/1.7 and have owned two or three of the A 50/1.7. The f/2 is reputed to be worse but just about any fast fifty is good by f/2.8 and that's where I most often shoot with old lenses. The biggest problem is focusing them accurately, for which I recommend practice and focus bracketing. My method is to focus at infinity and slow move to close focus, then when the camera first beeps to indicate focus I move it back a tiny big and start to take photos, focusing evr so slightly closer with each one. I'll take maybe six shots on average and usually one of the first two will be spot-on.