Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #1261
Inactive Account

I'm curious as to why they made this lens with an aperture of f4, usually primes are at the very least 2.5.

With the f4 aperture, does it make it more difficult shooting in doors, i.e. does it allow enough light in for low lit situations?

Cheers.

EDIT: Seems like a really sharp lens, looking at the samples posted here.

12-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #1262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've just been playing with my new mind-controlling toy today... and I can tell you that the aperture of f4 is not perfect, but close to perfect. Center sharpness is incredible wide open, and the focal length lets you shoot comfortably at 1/15th of a second.

If you are close to your subject, the DOF at f4 is surprisingly thin for a wide-angle lens. Looking at the size difference between the 15/4 and the 14/2.8, I can see how much space that extra stop of light requires (the 14mm is huge for a prime lens).

Ideally, though, I'm finding that a bounce-flash is incredibly helpful. Not for the shutter speeds, but for the light. With such a wide angle indoors, it's very hard to get groups of people etc. evenly lit.
12-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #1263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elbeasto Quote
I'm curious as to why they made this lens with an aperture of f4, usually primes are at the very least 2.5.

With the f4 aperture, does it make it more difficult shooting in doors, i.e. does it allow enough light in for low lit situations?

Cheers.

EDIT: Seems like a really sharp lens, looking at the samples posted here.
They made it f/4 so it could be small and light, like the rest of the DA Limiteds.
12-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #1264
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
They made it f/4 so it could be small and light, like the rest of the DA Limiteds.
Well the rest are like 2.4 or 2.8, isn't that a fairly big difference in regard to aperture?

With zooms at least that kind of difference seems to warrant hundreds of dollars more in price.

12-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #1265
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fast and wide means bulky glass. Take a look at the Pentax and the Samyang 14mm 2.8. Pentax did a good job at minimizing the weight even with the DA 14mm 2.8.
12-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #1266
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Fast and wide means bulky glass. Take a look at the Pentax and the Samyang 14mm 2.8. Pentax did a good job at minimizing the weight even with the DA 14mm 2.8.
Pentax has definitely done a good job of making compact primes, no doubt. I just wonder if a compact lens is worth the smaller aperture.
It would depend on a persons's needs I suppose.
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #1267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elbeasto Quote
Pentax has definitely done a good job of making compact primes, no doubt. I just wonder if a compact lens is worth the smaller aperture.
The option does exist for the 14mm/2.8. I prefer the compact size of the 15, personally.
12-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #1268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

LegoLand at MOA

Blue LED Christmas lights just freak me out, man.

#2 & #3 are out of focus. However, they were all nice.

12-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #1269
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crossposted from PYP.

Yes, the 15/4 is kind of slow compared to other lenses, but a flash handles that indoors quite nicely, and F4 isn't all that bad for outdoors, really. And if it were big and heavy, I wouldn't bring it around no matter how fast it was, just because it's not quite impulse-toss-in-bag-able. Case in point:

Though it was pretty dark, handholding at f11 and around 1/13 is pretty easy with wide lenses in general, and this thing's compact size makes that even less difficult. Also, I wanted to just grab my smallest lenses and go, which means none of these shots would've been taken due to a lack of a UWA.

On another note, merry belated Christmas! These were taken yesterday, lovely weather for giftgiving, eh?

Last edited by jaieger; 12-27-2010 at 06:51 PM.
12-27-2010, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #1270
Veteran Member

Original Poster

A week's worth of Christmas fog, and the forest becomes dusted with white crystal. Only powerful, fearsome creatures brave the trails through the trees...

12-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #1271
Pentaxian

A week's worth of Christmas fog, and the forest becomes dusted with white crystal. Only powerful, fearsome creatures brave the trails through the trees...

Wow, excellent work! I love frost. (and tolerate snowmobiles )
12-27-2010, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #1272
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, excellent work! I love frost. (and tolerate snowmobiles )
I hear ya, I don't really consider snowmobiles the ideal way to enjoy nature in the winter. They're great for that occasional speed urge, but their ideal application IMO is to get you slowly out to a place where you can park & throw on the skis or snowshoes and really get out into the quiet winter woods... I prefer the smell of Swix to gasoline.

(I really loved your shots, btw)
12-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #1273
Inactive Account

Very nice set!

I love your B&W/Sepia pictures. I have to confess, i tried to make some of mine look kinda like yours but i cant do it They're great! Love them!
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #1274
Pentaxian

I hear ya, I don't really consider snowmobiles the ideal way to enjoy nature in the winter. They're great for that occasional speed urge, but their ideal application IMO is to get you slowly out to a place where you can park & throw on the skis or snowshoes and really get out into the quiet winter woods... I prefer the smell of Swix to gasoline.

(I really loved your shots, btw)
Thanks! Yes, they have their place but I often see them out of place. I've used them for work and play, but mostly just to get to where I want to ski. I'm even considering buying one to access some areas that don't get plowed in the winter so I'm not anti-snomobile. They can just be so dangerous and obnoxious in the wrong hands!
12-27-2010, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #1275
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am still trying to get a feeling for the focal length. This thread is a great source of inspiration!