Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #601
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I like the first very much Dgaies

was it taken with the K7 or Kx?
Thanks, it was shot with the K7.

Last edited by dgaies; 06-19-2010 at 03:35 PM.
06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #602
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wfie and I shot JazzFest Denver this year (as we did last year) as the "official" photographers. I'll be posting pictures in various lens club threads. Here are some shots from the DA15.

Things got rolling with a clinic for (mostly) younger musicians:

The venue was outdoors and it rained most of the weekend, unfortunately. There are actually more people present, but you can't see them from here:

This shot from behind the stage gives you a glimpse of where some people are watching from (see the open bay door):

One of the featured acts was the Karrin Allyson Quartet:

Not much else to say here but this one's for Jay (I got permission from the keyboardist - a friend of mine - to shoot this):
06-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #603
Veteran Member

Few shots from downtown

David

Last edited by IS050; 06-19-2010 at 11:37 PM.
06-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #604
Aon
Veteran Member

Some stuff before sleep. Pretty cool to shoot straight into the sun with this lens.

06-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #605
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
I also have been taking a lot of flower photos with the 15. It's just got such fabulous contrast and saturation! I do the same with indoor photos and quite like the effect, reminds me of all my childhood photographs

He's getting to be a little person, Jay! They grow up way too fast....but at least with all the sleep deprivation the parents don't experience the passing of time as fast as everyone else

So rather than the DA15 we can call it the DJ15?

I took a series of photographs of the glass art hanging in Seattle's Benaroya Hall a couple of weeks ago and was really mesmerized by how much the shadows looked like sea creatures, so I tinted them green - spooooooky! Could not have taken these photos without the 15mm - the minute gradations in contrast of the layers of glass, oh my.

Ecaterin, very neat. Kinda mind-blowing actually.

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-20-2010 at 06:49 PM.
06-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #606
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Not much else to say here but this one's for Jay (I got permission from the keyboardist - a friend of mine - to shoot this):

All these are good, especially the first and last. Do you ask permission to get up close? I don't remember who it was, but some pro photog said that the key to the whole thing is to pretend like you belong right where you are when you're shooting non-candids, and the subjects ignore you and are bothered less.

You seem to be getting better with every iteration, Marc, these and the M 100 2.8 and the DA 70mm shots in the other threads are looking very pro-like to me. Nice, keep 'em coming.

06-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #607
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Few shots from downtown

David

That's fun, isn't is David? I have a hard time being downtown without my 15 these days. Good stuff.

06-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #608
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aon Quote
Some stuff before sleep. Pretty cool to shoot straight into the sun with this lens.

Crisp, colorful, & great use of back-light through translucent flowers, nice.

06-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #609
Veteran Member

Original Poster
9th, thx!

This image won 9th out of 200 in the dpreview ">innocence" challenge - thanks to
anyone here who may have voted.

It was a wonderful day, hopefully some of that wonder came through in the shot.

link ---> to challenge.

06-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #610
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The county fair for the highest-population county in the state (read: most urban) is one of the smallest fairs of its kind - almost an obligatory effort. The size and standing of the county fairs seem to be inversely relational to to their population density. Not surprising as they're traditionally ag-centered, but you'd think that a fair can be anything it wants to be if it occurred to someone to take it in another direction.

Anyway, we went, but the rides were closed, day was grey, so we just walked around talking about farms. My little guy had some worries about the big hogs (quietly, "I don't like them,") and had some very astute if funnily-phrased questions about why the animals are even on the farms in the first place. I couldn't really answer honestly.

Mini Donuts for Lunch in closed Beer Tent

Has some additional worries about goats in petting zoo over there

Lots and lots of questions

Later, and these kids were more fun than the hogs

06-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #611
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

This image won 9th out of 200 in the dpreview ">innocence" challenge - thanks to
anyone here who may have voted.

It was a wonderful day, hopefully some of that wonder came through in the shot.

Jay congrats on the challenge. A very deserving shot.
The DA15mm works really well for architectural photography. And downtown has the most interested building to explore and it was definitely fun.

David
06-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #612
Inactive Account

Well thanks to this excellent post, I ended up purchasing this lens! Here is an early shot:
06-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #613
Forum Member

Congratulations, jsherman! Personally I think your picture in that dpreview challenge blows the other ones out of the water. The other photos are merely snapshots of children. Admittedly, they're good snapshots of cute children but yours is so much more than that. The lighting and imagery are just stunning.

You are an exceptional photographer, if I may say that

And your pictures are the sole reason why I finally ordered the DA15 (this time for good, should receive it in 2 weeks).

Last edited by amaurosis; 06-21-2010 at 09:16 AM.
06-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #614
Inactive Account

From Amsterdam, with love.

06-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #615
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great lens for wandering around the desert......