Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #1171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Nope, I have the f4 version.

I like primes too, but the DA 15 doesn't perform like a prime and that's why dpreview gave an under whelming review.
Have you look at all those amazing photos in this thread?!?!

I much rather trust the guys here in this board than dpreview who favors Canon and Nikon regardless of how well other products are.

I say the lens is pretty darn fantastic as a prime.

12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #1172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote

I much rather trust the guys here in this board than dpreview who favors Canon and Nikon regardless of how well other products are.

Agreed! This thread is what sold me on the 15 and I have absolutely no complaints about this lens.
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #1173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add me to the list. I am thrilled with it's performance, and not only that, it is definitely my most enjoyable lens to shoot with.
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #1174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I always have time to stop in here at see the inspiring and sometimes breathtaking stuff you guys & gals are posting, but don't always have time to comment - so thanks again. I think pentaxforums true value shows in threads where images like this are shared. I see a lot of the world in here, hear a lot of voices.

Sometime right after this thread reaches the 1000 post mark, I'm going to go through it again, start--> finish, and pick out my top 25 favorite of y'all's images from that first thousand posts. I'll link them in again with some commentary about why I chose them. (no, none will be mine )

There are many, many more than 25 great images in here, so it will be very hard to do, but fun, also. So if you haven't already - get some shots in before that post #1000! (or get some more in)

Still working on this?

12-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #1175
Veteran Member

I like primes too, but the DA 15 doesn't perform like a prime and that's why dpreview gave an under whelming review.
The DA 15 has a pretty strong field curvature, which means that a poor test (like shooting a flat chart) shows pronounced corner softness. In real life you do not see it as strongly as you do in the DP review test, which, IMHO, is flawed.

People really gotta start doing lens tests in the real world. I'm just saying. The center sharpness of the DA 15 is phenomenal, and the corners really catch up when you stop the lens down. Look at all of these wonderful photos... no corner softness to be seen .
12-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #1176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
People really gotta start doing lens tests in the real world. I'm just saying. The center sharpness of the DA 15 is phenomenal, and the corners really catch up when you stop the lens down. Look at all of these wonderful photos... no corner softness to be seen .
I agree with this 100%. I can find something to gripe about in every single one of my other lenses. (Granted, most of them are as old as I am...) But the 15mm Ltd is simply exquisite. Small, sharp, contrasty. A real dynamo.

It's not for everyone. If you need to reach 10mm, or you want a zoom, then by all means get the Sigma. If you need f/2.8, get the DA 14mm or the manual-focus Rokinon/Samyang. But if you want a compact well-built 15mm prime, with amazing real-world image quality and plenty of character and personality, try the 15mm Limited!

If you're not sure, go back and look at the pictures in this thread again.

Oh wait, I thought of something to complain about. It doesn't make me breakfast.
12-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #1177
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote

I've seen every photo in this thread and while some are very good, some just don't do anything for me. I'm not sold on anything but reults... bling and popular opinion are meaningless...

So why did I sell my DA15? The clincher was seeing the same identical shot taken with both the DA 15 and 16-45. For a prime lens, the image taken with the DA15 didn't look the least bit better in any regard than the shot taken with the 16-45... And the 16-45 is half the price of the DA15 in Canada!! So why would I want to keep an under performing over priced lens?

12-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #1178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your call. The 16-45mm is under-rated though. For my money, the 15mm has much less distortion than the 16-45mm at 16mm. If you are shooting jpgs with distortion correction on, less of an issue.

You are right to mention the price. I bought mine from B&H, and their price including the dreadeed HST and shipping still came in under the list price at the cheapest retailer I could find in Canada.

I'm very happy with my copy.
12-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #1179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Still working on this?
Seconding that question! I'm looking forward to Jay's Top 25 DA15 pics!

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I agree with this 100%. I can find something to gripe about in every single one of my other lenses. (Granted, most of them are as old as I am...) But the 15mm Ltd is simply exquisite. Small, sharp, contrasty. A real dynamo.

It's not for everyone. If you need to reach 10mm, or you want a zoom, then by all means get the Sigma. If you need f/2.8, get the DA 14mm or the manual-focus Rokinon/Samyang. But if you want a compact well-built 15mm prime, with amazing real-world image quality and plenty of character and personality, try the 15mm Limited!

If you're not sure, go back and look at the pictures in this thread again.

Oh wait, I thought of something to complain about. It doesn't make me breakfast.
Sharp, contrasty, glorious sunbursts, no CA or flare issues, makes my K-x compact enough to stick in my pocket - I had the 12-24 and the 10-20....and wasn't satisfied until I got to the 15. I sold my 15 and then bought it again. It's on my camera about 90% of the time.

Mine does bring me tea, but apparently preparing breakfast is a bit too menial for it

How can you not love a lens that gives you shots like this?
12-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #1180
Inactive Account

I've seen every photo in this thread and while some are very good, some just don't do anything for me. I'm not sold on anything but reults... bling and popular opinion are meaningless...

So why did I sell my DA15? The clincher was seeing the same identical shot taken with both the DA 15 and 16-45. For a prime lens, the image taken with the DA15 didn't look the least bit better in any regard than the shot taken with the 16-45... And the 16-45 is half the price of the DA15 in Canada!! So why would I want to keep an under performing over priced lens?
I was also in the same spot as you were. However i did the opposite. I compared against the 16-45 at 16mm vs 15mm and the results led me to keep the 15mm.

I didnt do any scientific tests but the optical quality, distortion and flare control was all better with the 15mm, in my taste. The 16-45 is a great lens with similar qualities regarding color and contrast as the 15mm, but its a different lens usefull to other things. I strongly believe that comparing the 16-45 at 16mm is totaly wrong. Keep the 16-45 and buy the 15mm would be my best advice, but not everybody can afford that.

For me it was nothing about money, just being happy with my choice.
Maybe some people chose to buy it just becasue the popularity but i highly doubt anyone at this forum does that.

And yes, the appeal and build quality of the Limited design does contribute to my choice of buying the 15'een
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #1181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The DA 15 has a pretty strong field curvature, which means that a poor test (like shooting a flat chart) shows pronounced corner softness. In real life you do not see it as strongly as you do in the DP review test, which, IMHO, is flawed.

Speaking of shooting flat charts, and "disappointing results", don't forget that even a wide angle lens like this may need AF adjustment for BF/FF. So even though it's always better to get out and take some shots in the real world, it also pays to do some initial testing on a new lens purchase. It turns out that my copy likes +4 AF Adjust, on my K20D. Perhaps some of the "underwhelmed" impressions of the DA 15 have to do with this? Just a thought.
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #1182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I think this one got lost in the server move so I'm adding it again...
Wow great shot Matt! I think this lens is now firmly on my roadmap, after the FA77
12-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #1183
Pentaxian

Oh no, the naysayers and pixel peepers have found this thread.....

and for more than a thousand posts it was a feast on the joys of photography
12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #1184
Veteran Member

I wonder why you are here in this thread... did you need further re-assuring or are your trying to warn us against wasting our $$'s

Anyway I hope you enjoy posting your better pics in the dedicated 16-45 thread, let me know when you have and we all might pop over and have look and learn something.

cheers

Neil
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #1185