Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #1816
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hm silly question perhaps, but I'm afraid to experiment with my lens: are there pushcaps I should avoid using with this lens? That front element protrudes enough that I feel like mine will bump into it?

03-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #1817
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote

Exellent work!
Thankyou swede!

QuoteOriginally posted by Downfall Quote

Great job with these photos, well done! What did you use for filter on the DA15?

Two shots from the weekend

Pentax K-5 + DA15 Ltd
Much thanks downfall, and very nice shots yourself! I love the post on the first shot.

I used a 10-stop B&W ND filter, as well as a Hoya circular polarizer (which passively takes off another 2 stops or so, maybe a bit more if it's actually polarizing too)

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Hm silly question perhaps, but I'm afraid to experiment with my lens: are there pushcaps I should avoid using with this lens? That front element protrudes enough that I feel like mine will bump into it?
I was worried about that too, but through some experimentation I've found that the newer pushcaps from Pentax (ie the one that comes with the K-x's kit lens) (well, that type - that's a 52mm, but the 49mm version is what I'm talking about, obviously) fit it fine.

If you're not certain, grab like a tiny blade of grass or fiber or something on the front element, put some double sided tape on the inside of your cap, and push the cap on, then take it off. If the grass/fiber/whatever is picked up by the tape, it's quite close if not outright touching (try to find thinner materials/make sure it doesn't stick up to make certain). And of course, if it's not picked up, you've tons of room to go.
03-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #1818

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
new ones from yesterday...we FINALLY had a break in the 10 straight days of rain, so the 15mm took me for a walk around Fisherman's Wharf.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Nice day (finally), day off from work, film to burn. Sounds like a recipe for shooting.

Didn't make it to the Wharf but I spent 3 hours in Chinatown and a few more down by the Ferry Building.
03-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #1819

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
MikeSF, that first one is my favorite but all three are top notch!
I agree!

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Much thanks downfall, and very nice shots yourself! I love the post on the first shot.

I used a 10-stop B&W ND filter, as well as a Hoya circular polarizer (which passively takes off another 2 stops or so, maybe a bit more if it's actually polarizing too)
Glad to hear you liked it. Thanks for sharing your setup. I was curious how you used the filters since the hood prohibits use of square filters I have heard. But that BW is a circular ,right?

Pentax K-5 + DA15 Ltd

03-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #1820

Grand Falls, Arizona!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #1821
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjpinaz Quote
Grand Falls, Arizona!
beautiful shot!
03-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #1822
Pentaxian

Grand Falls, Arizona!
Very nice capture. When I was there in Sept '09, there was no water and I drove across the "river":-)

03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1823
Pentaxian

03-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #1824
Veteran Member

Grand Falls, Arizona!
Superb
03-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #1825
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Things I saw at the flood

Anyway, it was a good excuse to double back and just go to Cabelas to look at some boats and crap instead.

03-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #1826
Veteran Member

Haha, omg, Cabela's. I spent an entire afternoon in one once. What an eerie place. But good food! I recommend the smoked elk sandwich or the venison brauts.
03-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #1827
Ira
Inactive Account

New lens purchase soon.

Not a member here yet, but maybe.

Love this lens, and I'll be back in a month after reviewing this entire thread.

If I wasn't unemployed, it would take me two months.
03-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #1828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Downfall Quote
I agree!

Glad to hear you liked it. Thanks for sharing your setup. I was curious how you used the filters since the hood prohibits use of square filters I have heard. But that BW is a circular ,right?

Pentax K-5 + DA15 Ltd
Yep, it's a circular one. Stacked with my ND, it does vignette strongly/probably irrecoverably, as you can see in that shot, but in that particular case I didn't mind since it added to the mood imo. Also, love that stairs shot! That 15 sure seems to be a great fit with you

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Anyway, it was a good excuse to double back and just go to Cabelas to look at some boats and crap instead.

Awesome stuff Jay!

My friends and I were all over the city yesterday, here're some shots from the outting...Why I decided carrying my tripod around for 8 hours wouldn't be tiring, I'll never know

03-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #1829
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
New lens purchase soon.

Not a member here yet, but maybe.

Love this lens, and I'll be back in a month after reviewing this entire thread.

If I wasn't unemployed, it would take me two months.
Ira, it is one of the best threads on this entire forum -- enjoy it! However, it's also one of the most dangerous for the wallet. Soon, perhaps, your mind will also be controlled.
03-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #1830

Grand Falls, Arizona!
Nice one!

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Yep, it's a circular one. Stacked with my ND, it does vignette strongly/probably irrecoverably, as you can see in that shot, but in that particular case I didn't mind since it added to the mood imo. Also, love that stairs shot! That 15 sure seems to be a great fit with you
Ah ok I see thanks for your reply . Thanks nice to hear. I was afraid at first that it was going to be hard to get used to the 15mm instead of my regular 40 but I guess that it is a lot easier than my 8mm fish-eye at least that one was a real contrast to the 40mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Impressive set of photos there

Pentax K-5 + DA15 Ltd