Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
couple new ones from vacation in San Diego:

Point Loma Sunset (from Coronado)

Coronado Bridge

Last edited by mikeSF; 10-09-2011 at 04:26 PM.
10-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #3107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
The last couple of pages have just prompted me to order one of these. Great work folks.

This lens hadn't even been on my radar till I looked through this thread.
For some reason when I read this I thought you said you were prompted to order three of these lenses!

Then again it is the one lens I own that I would replace in a heartbeat should something (god forbid) happen to it!
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #3108
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
You are in good company. Welcome aboard!

I lurked these boards a while and this thread even more so... same thing happened to me... and I don't regret it a bit!

Strung out:
You're killing it! awesome shots
10-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #3109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great stuff lately! Mike - the bridge is awesome!

Here's one from today's ride with some friends.

10-09-2011, 10:45 PM - 3 Likes   #3110
Veteran Member

I love this thread. You guys are slaying 'em left, right and centre ! This is the best Lens Club on the forum.

Part of a series of shots I'm still processing from the just passed Chinese National Day holiday.

Pearl Oriental Tower, Shanghai

The WFC (left - 2nd highest building in the world) and Jinmao (right - 5th highest building in the world). On the right you can just about see the construction of what will be the new 2nd highest building in the world (but only for about 3 months until they finish the one in Guangzhou) !!

10-10-2011, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #3111
Veteran Member

I concur, this is one of my favourite threads on the forum.

I just had an unusually hot week in Whitby, UK. Still got quite a lot of shots to work through, but here are a few from the Abbey.

Last edited by bickrs; 01-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.
10-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #3112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Exhuberant Chinese Architecture

Guangzhou

10-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #3113
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Incredible shots, folks.
10-10-2011, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #3114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Life Gets Pagan

10-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #3115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quite a few standouts on this page, guys.

Ones that really did it for me-

Mike -- the shot on the beach looking out to Coronado Bridge is great. Very soft, beautiful colors, and elegant composition.

Frogfish -- the first photo of the WFC and Jinmao. Great detail and composition. I like the color balance throughout, especially that little splash of red and green on right, from the construction equipment or scaffolding (can't quite tell).

Jay -- two from you. The first of your son bewildered in the corn maze. I think the wide angle really captures how overwhelming that would be for a very little man. I also like the last shot of the ear of corn stuck in what I can only assume to be a decayed pumpkin. We don't see many closeups with the DA15, especially ones that escape being overly distorted, but this one adds just the right amount of depth. I'm not 100% convinced on the color processing (there are some patches of red on the right side of the image that I'd probably get rid of), but the image is nonetheless quite visually arresting.
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #3116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Love the one of your kid in the corn.
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #3117
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Jay -- two from you. The first of your son bewildered in the corn maze. I think the wide angle really captures how overwhelming that would be for a very little man. I also like the last shot of the ear of corn stuck in what I can only assume to be a decayed pumpkin. We don't see many closeups with the DA15, especially ones that escape being overly distorted, but this one adds just the right amount of depth. I'm not 100% convinced on the color processing (there are some patches of red on the right side of the image that I'd probably get rid of), but the image is nonetheless quite visually arresting.
Thanks! And thanks for the feedback, appreciated. I wasn't 100% sure of the color there either, but that seemed to be the version with the most pop, the one that worked for me the best. Here's another - complete desaturation seems flatter to me, there:

And another, ony slight desat:

QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
Love the one of your kid in the corn.
Thanks! He wasn't the only one a little bewildered...

10-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #3118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jay -- I agree, the fully desaturated version removes the depth. I think the color in the last version works best, but I prefer the orientation, tighter crop and heavier vignetting of your first version. Collectively really makes the corn feel like it's coming at me.
10-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #3119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, what a page of photos!

Jay, as always, your pics blow me away. I love love love! the pumpkin corn shot. And I do prefer the version with more color.

Frogfish, your night shots are incredible!

Bickrs, WOW! Gorgeous shots!

Everything on this page and in this thread is inspirational.

I have a few to contribute, but I fear I will bring the quality down. Forgive me, please! These are a few from a trip I took yesterday to Crabtree Falls in Virginia. They are supposedly the highest falls east of the Mississippi. It was a beautiful place and the colors are starting to change nicely up there. Hope you like these!

Last edited by loco; 10-11-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: oops, had to remove one pic I actually took with the DA 35/2.4 :)
10-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #3120
Pentaxian

Jay, bickrs, frogfish - those are just amazing! love the processing from all of you and the subjects are all stunning!!