Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #4696
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday I went to the Walensee, Switzerland, to shoot star trails from a view point near Lachen. Unfortunally the weather forecast wasn't right and it was quiet cloudy. So I had to suffice with taking some images of the sunset (besides enjoying the breath taking scenery).

09-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #4697
Veteran Member

It must have been inspiring, I know the photo sure is. Thanks.
09-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #4698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
Yesterday I went to the Walensee, Switzerland, to shoot star trails from a view point near Lachen. Unfortunally the weather forecast wasn't right and it was quiet cloudy. So I had to suffice with taking some images of the sunset (besides enjoying the breath taking scenery).
That is a beautiful photograph! I am jealous that you are in such an inspiring place!

I don't know if its allowed to ask questions about the photo(s) so us newbies can learn something.

BTW I am considering getting more prime lenses but I technically don't know the difference between DA and FA and the various lines
09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #4699
Site Supporter

Nice one David

09-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #4700
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums

That is a a beautiful image. Nice consolation prize.
Joe
09-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #4701
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
placed an R72 on Da15 to capture following this afternoon with the Sun settling down to the Right side of the image and got quite a bit of Ghosting at F10

Love this Disco_Owner! Ive been using the R72 quite a lot on the DA 15 for infrared. I love your use of it here!

Loads of other stunning shots since ive last popped in here!
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #4702
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Love the Colors of the first one image. nicely captured !!
QuoteOriginally posted by MSPX Quote
really like the first one, but have a question: why did you use the 10-stop for these shots? do you really need it?
Thanks guys. MSPX: it's a matter of the effect I was going after. In both cases I wanted the water to be a still surface, which requires a decent exposure length. At 10-stops at f/11 or so those shots above were both only 30". Without the filter they'd have been very short exposures. I also like the color the B+W 10-stop gives an image, especially around sunset/sunrise (it's a warming effect with a brownish-pink tint).

You can always wait until later in the evening to take long exposures without the filter, but then you lose the light balance. I actually have 5-minute exposures of the ferris wheel about 20 mins after the shot on the previous page, which is what I was really after, but they ended up so underexposed I couldn't salvage them.

09-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #4703
Veteran Member

Hey David, this is a stunning shot! That's one of the benefits of the mountains -- clear? Sunset's gonna be boring, but do some star shots! Slightly cloudy? No star shots, but get some awesome sunsets!
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #4704
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that's a beautiful shot David. Nice work and way to persevere.

I checked out the colors today

Crisp fall mountain air makes for such good starbursts!

Beautiful day

09-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #4705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
Love this Disco_Owner! Ive been using the R72 quite a lot on the DA 15 for infrared. I love your use of it here!

Loads of other stunning shots since ive last popped in here!
Thank you. I really like the effect once a Tonal Preset is applied with an Infrared Image in LR4.1.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote

Crisp fall mountain air makes for such good starbursts!

Beautiful day

Beautiful day indeed. very Nice starburst and very clear Images.
09-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #4706
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the kind comments on my image!

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Hey David, this is a stunning shot! That's one of the benefits of the mountains -- clear? Sunset's gonna be boring, but do some star shots! Slightly cloudy? No star shots, but get some awesome sunsets!
Thanks Chris! Going in the mountains is kind of a safe bet (unless it rains of course...). Even if you don't take stunning images you spent the day hiking in a beautiful environment.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
That is a beautiful photograph! I am jealous that you are in such an inspiring place! I don't know if its allowed to ask questions about the photo(s) so us newbies can learn something. BTW I am considering getting more prime lenses but I technically don't know the difference between DA and FA and the various lines
Thanks, alamos. Of course you are allowed to ask questions! I think most of us are here to share photos and knowledge.
On your question regarding FA and DA lenses: The FA series is the last series of lenses designed for 35 mm film. They feature AF, 'A' contacts and an aperture ring. This lenses will work on any K-mount camera (digital or analog). The DA lenses are designed for digital sensors. Some of them cover 35 mm film, others don't (like the DA 15). DA lenses don't have a aperture ring, so they only work on some 'newer' film cameras with automatic aperture control. Mounted to a digital K-mount camera (of course APS-C) all F, FA and DA lenses will be fully functional.
09-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #4707
Inactive Account

Thanks for the comments on the cat!

It's such a fun little lens - great to see you all enjoying it as well and producing great results!
09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #4708
Veteran Member

here is one from a hike the previous weekend. This is was called hero slope with a 180meter climb with 800 stairs. I was really pushing the limits w/o setting up a tripod at 1/10s, 5.6 and iso 1600 but it worked out.

09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #4709
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Thanks guys. MSPX: it's a matter of the effect I was going after. In both cases I wanted the water to be a still surface, which requires a decent exposure length. At 10-stops at f/11 or so those shots above were both only 30". Without the filter they'd have been very short exposures. I also like the color the B+W 10-stop gives an image, especially around sunset/sunrise (it's a warming effect with a brownish-pink tint).

You can always wait until later in the evening to take long exposures without the filter, but then you lose the light balance. I actually have 5-minute exposures of the ferris wheel about 20 mins after the shot on the previous page, which is what I was really after, but they ended up so underexposed I couldn't salvage them.

aaah, I see and got the point.

As I'm still learning, I really appreciate any help - so: many thanks for that brief but perfect explanation!!

Walensee

pretty cool red bursts in that stunning scene - ain't been up there for quite a time...

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
bursts & colors

those poping colors are WOW! - did you do anything special in PP or was it "just" the perfect time to shoot?

I still do see faces - sometimes
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #4710
Veteran Member

The 15mm seems to give those deep blue sky colors often with no PP needed.......