Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #6376

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Did you see the comparison shots that were posted a couple of weeks ago? Actually quite a bit different.
This.

I tried it at all values. It will give you some starburst, but the middle of the "star" looks more like a round blob than the sharp circle with rays projecting out. I don't have any of my test shots with me today while I am at work, but as DogLover said, there are examples here on the forum, I'll see if I can track one down.

12-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #6377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I didn't, but I'd like to if someone has the link. Clarity of the air has a lot to do with it too from my experience but I can imagine the rounded aperture blades would also make a difference. I forgot about that change and was just thinking of the coating as the difference between the two.
12-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #6378

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/241097-pent...15-hd-smc.html
12-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #6379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kylv Quote
This.

I tried it at all values. It will give you some starburst, but the middle of the "star" looks more like a round blob than the sharp circle with rays projecting out. I don't have any of my test shots with me today while I am at work, but as DogLover said, there are examples here on the forum, I'll see if I can track one down.
There was a comparison and it definitely showed that the changes in the DA 15 going to the HD 15 made it not have the same star bursts. It was pretty clear to me and disappointing to say the least. Why fix something that isn't broken in order to get "better bokeh" in a lens that you seldom see bokeh in?

12-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #6380
Veteran Member

Definitely a case of good intentions gone awry, I'd say. Fine for the other limiteds, but they should've left the 15's blades alone.
12-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #6381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I rescind my offer!
I wouldn't have expected this. The new stars look a lot more like the ones from the 18-135 which aren't bad, but also aren't nearly as cool as the original. Too bad!
12-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #6382
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sharp starbursts are one of the major features of this lens that make it so unique. I think they should quietly ditch the new blades on this one.

12-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #6383

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, I rescind my offer!
I wouldn't have expected this. The new stars look a lot more like the ones from the 18-135 which aren't bad, but also aren't nearly as cool as the original. Too bad!
But I was already boxing up my lens to ship to Colorado. I was hoping it was operator error on the part of the OP of the other thread, but they definitely are just not there.
12-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #6384

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
The sharp starbursts are one of the major features of this lens that make it so unique. I think they should quietly ditch the new blades on this one.
I will, for one, will be extremely upset. I tried everything I could think of to get the old lens through my vendor, it just couldn't be done. I didn't want to go somewhere else and pay more. I took a chance with the HD and unfortunately was let down. Not enough to return it, it is still a great lens, it could just be that little bit better.
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #6385
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will, for one, will be extremely upset. I tried everything I could think of to get the old lens through my vendor, it just couldn't be done. I didn't want to go somewhere else and pay more. I took a chance with the HD and unfortunately was let down. Not enough to return it, it is still a great lens, it could just be that little bit better.
Buy a used one on the market place. They are up there all the time and to me, it would be worth it.
12-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #6386

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Buy a used one on the market place. They are up there all the time and to me, it would be worth it.
Can I come sleep on your couch? Because that would mean a divorce for me. My wife already doesn't understand the LBA, but if I told her I had two copies of the same lens...
Attached Images

12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #6387
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure I'll buy an HD Limited or two, but I'm definitely keeping my original DA15! Just hope I never drop it in the ocean or anything.
12-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #6388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I come sleep on your couch? Because that would mean a divorce for me. My wife already doesn't understand the <acronym title="Lens Buying Addiction">LBA</acronym>, but if I told her I had two copies of the same lens...
Sell your HD version. There are some folks who wouldn't care about the star burst and want to try the new coatings. I'm sure you could break even...

But I guess I have a guest bedroom that's open if you need to crash for a little while. I had LBA, but I'm on the patch now.
12-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #6389

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sell your HD version.
You make it sound so easy. I would have to donate to have access to the Sales Forum, then I would have to pay PayPal to take their cut. Then I would have to find a good copy and hope it all holds up. So much stress. It's so much easier to just complain here and get no results.
12-03-2013, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #6390

Am I doing it right?