Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #8206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Like your perspective on the road pics. Did you take any more in the meadow with the cattle? It's a really pleasant scene.

---------- Post added 02-01-15 at 11:11 AM ----------

Got some great clouds at sunrise yesterday
No, I didn't. The light felt really flat and such a grey day. I was more looking at it to take some photos later when the light was better. I think these might be better with black and white conversions, as well.

02-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #8207
Veteran Member

They might be better in black and white, but I feel like the shots you posted give an honest feel for what it was like. I really like the way you compose the roads (and the stream) into the shots. It really adds depth.

I've only had the 15 mm for a few months, but if I look back at some wide angle shots I have with my 10-24 mm zoom, I see that the one thing that really works with wide angle shots is having a "linear" feature (road, stream, power lines, etc) running into the image. It really adds depth and really makes those lenses shine. Not only do they add depth, but they also keep things from feeling far. I know that sounds contradictory, but I think I'm saying is that such features lead you into and out of your picture and they give scale. They make everything feel reachable. It no longer feels like you are shooting from miles away. It just feels like you're shooting with a wide lens. I suppose it depends on the photographer's intent.
02-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #8208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
They might be better in black and white, but I feel like the shots you posted give an honest feel for what it was like. I really like the way you compose the roads (and the stream) into the shots. It really adds depth.

I've only had the 15 mm for a few months, but if I look back at some wide angle shots I have with my 10-24 mm zoom, I see that the one thing that really works with wide angle shots is having a "linear" feature (road, stream, power lines, etc) running into the image. It really adds depth and really makes those lenses shine. Not only do they add depth, but they also keep things from feeling far. I know that sounds contradictory, but I think I'm saying is that such features lead you into and out of your picture and they give scale. They make everything feel reachable. It no longer feels like you are shooting from miles away. It just feels like you're shooting with a wide lens. I suppose it depends on the photographer's intent.
I agree. A strong foreground element can really make the shot work too.
02-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #8209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

I think you are right. It helps to have some leading lines in your photo, something in the foreground/middle ground/background, and nice light with good color. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of times you get one or two of those things and not the others. That's probably why I go back and re-shoot places that I've shot before, to see how the changing light and seasons affects them.

That and the fact that southern Indiana just doesn't have amazing mountains or waterfalls or vistas, so I have to make do with what's around me.

02-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #8210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many successful landscape photographers will revisit the same locations. I do it a lot too. I think once you have a feel for a place it's easier to put yourself in the right place at the right time when conditions call for a certain shot. Many of my own favorite shots are at locations I visit regularly.
02-03-2015, 04:51 AM - 3 Likes   #8211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple with the DA 15 on the K-01.

02-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #8212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been browsing through this thread and the DA Ltd one while scanning in old B & W negative files and wondering should I exchange my big and heavy but versatile Sigma 10-20 for the small and light DA 15 when I came across your contributions. For some reason they looked vaguely familiar but I've never been in Indiana or the USA for that matter, eventually the penny dropped and I realised it was both the light which is very similar to that around here and the general colouring of the land. In the days of slide and colour film I could never use Kodak material as it always seemed to be balanced for a much harsher lighting and not the more muted colours of Europe.

Very impressed with all of your contributions.

CD

02-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #8213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
While in Bandung, Indonesia, last September, I visited this little coffee factory in the city centre. The lovely smell of fresh roasted beans and beautiful light coming in. Name of the place is Kopi Aroma.

Nr. 1:

Nr. 2:
Love the guy pouring coffee. Tripod or no tripod?

Loyd
02-05-2015, 03:25 AM - 5 Likes   #8214

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rondec, wonderful pictures, as always!

I've started this year from a walk with a DA15

02-07-2015, 08:19 AM - 2 Likes   #8215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First time post here for me. One here from me from the HD DA 15... 5 shot HDR. Apols for cross-post with DA Limited thread, but I really wanted to say 'Hi' and thanks for all the LBA inspiration here.

John
02-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #8216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
First time post here for me. One here from me from the HD DA 15... 5 shot HDR. Apols for cross-post with DA Limited thread, but I really wanted to say 'Hi' and thanks for all the LBA inspiration here.John
A really nice picture. This is an HDR and that just barely visible (color a bit too much vibrant maybe) but theses colors are really nice and pleasy! Great work.

The framing is good, there just one little thing maybe to think if possible (maybe to reframe too?) the horizon is a bit too much in the middle here. That would be the only minor issue to be seen!
02-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #8217
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cheers Nicholas. This is the 500px version so it does lean on the 'heavily processed' look.... it seems to me that there are NO prizes for restraint on 500px!
02-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #8218
Veteran Member

02-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #8219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A couple with the DA 15 on the K-01.

That first shot is exceptional for the capture of the fire in the sky with deep dark contrast of the streaming clouds. I like it very much.
02-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #8220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
First time post here for me. One here from me from the HD DA 15... 5 shot HDR. Apols for cross-post with DA Limited thread, but I really wanted to say 'Hi' and thanks for all the LBA inspiration here.

John
Yep, like Nicolas said, move the horizon down to the lower third, and also straighten it and you'll have an absolutely killer photo