Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #9571

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
From May of 2014:

Such beautiful brilliant colors, amazing!

04-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #9572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
And very nice they are too, thanks for sharing
QuoteOriginally posted by danidan Quote
+1 Nice colors and capture in general!
04-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #9573
Veteran Member

Arena di Verona
by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #9574
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yellow and gray.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that 21mm ltd performs better in low light.
15mm shines in bright light.
My take is that the 15 needs high contrast more than lots of light. Doesn't seem to be the lens for overcast days. I quite like diffuse light but so far no luck with the 15

Nice image above though!

04-03-2016, 04:49 PM - 7 Likes   #9575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BiF close to macro

BiF, widely known for Bees in Flight , with the DA 15! An example at minimum focus distance and f/8, cross-posted from PORJECT 52, demonstrating the extreme perspective distortion achievable on the DA 15.

The problem here was way not too little, but too much contrast - had to wait until the sun disappeared behind the corner of the roof and place a large reflector on the ground. Earlier, flare, which would normally stay invisible, was stronger than the faint detail captured on the bee's underside when tone mapping the extremely deep shadows.
04-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #9576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
BiF, widely known for Bees in Flight , with the DA 15! An example at minimum focus distance and f/8, cross-posted from PORJECT 52, demonstrating the extreme perspective distortion achievable on the DA 15.

The problem here was way not too little, but too much contrast - had to wait until the sun disappeared behind the corner of the roof and place a large reflector on the ground. Earlier, flare, which would normally stay invisible, was stronger than the faint detail captured on the bee's underside when tone mapping the extremely deep shadows.
Terrific and terrifying!
04-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #9577
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread certainly has a buzz to it at the moment

04-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #9578
Pentaxian

Somebody made a bad mistake a long time ago:

Camera is a K-5.
04-04-2016, 08:51 AM - 4 Likes   #9579
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
+1 Nice colors and capture in general!
QuoteOriginally posted by danidan Quote
Thanks Weevil & danidan.

From earlier this year --- Arcata Bay:

04-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #9580
Pentaxian

Just a random shot for the Daily Challenge thread ... I had to get something in, thus right next to where I work ...

04-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #9581
Veteran Member

I'm blown away by how you managed to get those little suckers in focus!
04-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #9582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
I'm blown away by how you managed to get those little suckers in focus!
Tricky question. The whole concept is pushing the limits of physics and the sensor - it took me 148 exposures this time, incrementally reviewing at the computer and optimizing in between several (manual) bursts of shots. I hope I find the time for a more complete description of the entire setup and post-processing in a dedicated thread.

If you check your DA 15 DoF scale, there is about 1cm in front and behind the minimum focus distance at f/8. A bit more for web resolution. No, I could not close further, I needed the light. In free flight, bees move at about 2cm per millisecond. Obviously, it would be hard to capture even a single bee at full speed and require a much shorter exposure - impossible except with a flash. My simplified/modified reflective laser beam coincidence trigger inspired by the amazing work of Fotoopa is still in the early stages. According to my measurements, I could trigger my K-5 (with mirror lockup - time from detection to the camera to flash firing) within less than 10ms of flying through my 'hot' spot, which would increase chances of a sharp shot tremendously when shooting parallel to the flight direction with a little bit of pre-center triggering.

Meanwhile, I took a statistical approach: Close to the hive, arriving bees get much slower and may even do a small hover loop to find a place to land on a busy day. The three in the picture are not at this stage yet as they still have their legs tucked in (you find dangling legs in my bee-related album), but are decelerating. In addition, I have many models, so "all I had to do" is place the lens front as close to the hive entrance as possible (~10cm), wait and observe until there is some 'traffic jam' and multiple bees come in with interesting pollen, then trigger a series of shots so that some bees may approximately be at the right distance in front of the lens.

With a bit of luck, you get usable exposures. I got a handful. Unfortunately, you can't see that on the camera screen, much like with film, but that will be a topic for a dedicated thread likely in the macro section.
04-04-2016, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #9583
Pentaxian

Some color in a shot posted in the B/W forum.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #9584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixie Quote
Some color in a shot posted in the B/W forum.
Great shot with beautiful colors. I like this version a lot more.
Too much going on for B&W and the simplicity of the two-color scheme enhances the steady bridge vs. moving water contrast. An interesting experiment would be to compress the hues into two tones only: one for the pier and another one for water and sky.
04-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #9585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot with beautiful colors. I like this version a lot more.
Too much going on for B&W and the simplicity of the two-color scheme enhances the steady bridge vs. moving water contrast. An interesting experiment would be to compress the hues into two tones only: one for the pier and another one for water and sky.
To me, it's exactly the opposite I guess, I like both versions a lot but the B&W one helps me to concentrate on the movement.