03-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #10846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Wynyard Train Station, Sydney

Martin Place, Sydney (Pixel Shifted)

Bird Cages, Sydney
Thanks for that first shot, Bruce. I will be going there tomorrow to do the same. And, naturally, I will have my DA 15mm with me. Now I know that it is the perfect FL for that scene.

03-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #10847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Thanks for that first shot, Bruce. I will be going there tomorrow to do the same. And, naturally, I will have my DA 15mm with me. Now I know that it is the perfect FL for that scene.
Ah but careful, that particular shot was cramped to pull off, I had to tripod mount and have the camera as flush against the wall (or actually those digital/lit up advertising posters in this case, because that's where lining up the middle was approximately), flip the KP screen out and operate blind by touch from the side. If you plan to crouch or have your body behind the camera you will not get this framing. It made for painful shooting experience, because even getting a proper look at the tilt screen was difficult, I took several shots and had to dismount the KP from the tripod but be careful to not move the tripod so I could redock it back if I needed to, and I did because some shots I was clipping the top slightly (and had too much floor lol). I was kicking myself slightly wishing I had perhaps brought along my Sigma 10-20 (which I might do next time if I am nearby).

It's a pretty cool feature, lots of potential to shoot it differently. I did a HDR merge, I'm a little disappointed with the starburst but then that's the HD DA 15mm for ya...

Don't make the same mistake I made either, shoot it from other angles, I regret just hitting it from this straight on perspective. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results!
03-12-2018, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #10848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah but careful, that particular shot was cramped to pull off, I had to tripod mount and have the camera as flush against the wall (or actually those digital/lit up advertising posters in this case, because that's where lining up the middle was approximately), flip the KP screen out and operate blind by touch from the side. If you plan to crouch or have your body behind the camera you will not get this framing. It made for painful shooting experience, because even getting a proper look at the tilt screen was difficult, I took several shots and had to dismount the KP from the tripod but be careful to not move the tripod so I could redock it back if I needed to, and I did because some shots I was clipping the top slightly (and had too much floor lol). I was kicking myself slightly wishing I had perhaps brought along my Sigma 10-20 (which I might do next time if I am nearby).

It's a pretty cool feature, lots of potential to shoot it differently. I did a HDR merge, I'm a little disappointed with the starburst but then that's the HD DA 15mm for ya...

Don't make the same mistake I made either, shoot it from other angles, I regret just hitting it from this straight on perspective. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results!
Thank you so much for all of your great advice. I always carry my 15mm with me but now I will also take my Tamron SP 10-24mm. I have a K-3 so no flip out screen and I won't be taking a tripod (well, not this time). This is just a visit to check out the scene and I will return with the right equipment and at a better time. Thanks again. Results will follow but maybe not in this thread. We'll see!

Last edited by rayallen; 03-12-2018 at 11:52 PM.
03-13-2018, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #10849
Pentaxian

Wynyard Train Station, Sydney

Martin Place, Sydney (Pixel Shifted)

Bird Cages, Sydney
That first one is very cool - made me think of this:

03-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #10850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well now we know what to do with old escalators, absolutely fascinating shot.
03-14-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #10851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks again for your tips and advice, Bruce. I now fully understand your problem shooting with the 15mm. I was with three mates and we all had 10mm zooms with us. I forewarned them.
Shooting at 10mm presented far fewer problems. Getting a good angle without a bright light (or two) shining into the lens was the major concern. We were there around 10:00 AM and I was most surprised that I was able to get a shot with nobody on the escalators. But it did require a bit of patience.
I can't show the results here as they were not taken on a DA 15mm but you can see them here: K3 sample shots ... post here ! - Page 609 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks again.
03-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #10852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks again for your tips and advice, Bruce. I now fully understand your problem shooting with the 15mm. I was with three mates and we all had 10mm zooms with us. I forewarned them.
Shooting at 10mm presented far fewer problems. Getting a good angle without a bright light (or two) shining into the lens was the major concern. We were there around 10:00 AM and I was most surprised that I was able to get a shot with nobody on the escalators. But it did require a bit of patience.
I can't show the results here as they were not taken on a DA 15mm but you can see them here: K3 sample shots ... post here ! - Page 609 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks again.
Good job! I wanna go back and do some more from different angles sometime, my wife works close by to that area so another opportunity shall present itself I'm sure.

03-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #10853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good job! I wanna go back and do some more from different angles sometime, my wife works close by to that area so another opportunity shall present itself I'm sure.
It sounds like you have a perfect excuse there.
03-17-2018, 05:32 AM - 8 Likes   #10854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Path to the Sun

03-18-2018, 01:19 AM - 2 Likes   #10855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy Sweet Sunday!

03-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #10856
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy Sweet Sunday!
Please stop posting images like that if you are not going to arrange delivery of some of it to my house.
03-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #10857
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please stop posting images like that if you are not going to arrange delivery of some of it to my house.
Hehe, someone said something familiar on fb
03-19-2018, 02:59 PM - 8 Likes   #10858
Forum Member

My starburst-lens

Pentax KP:

Wuppertal / Germany (suspension railroad)

same location

I love this starburst-effect
03-19-2018, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #10859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DirkWitten Quote
My starburst-lens

Pentax KP:

Wuppertal / Germany (suspension railroad)

same location

I love this starburst-effect
Same, I wish my HD 15mm did the same :'(
But then my HD 15mm is silver finish! so important!
03-20-2018, 05:36 AM - 6 Likes   #10860
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunburst (DA 15 limited)