Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Country road.

08-16-2018, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #11015
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strolling around Port Dover, Ontario on a hot, hazy day.

08-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #11016
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Strolling around Port Dover, Ontario on a hot, hazy day.

That isn't a place familiar to me. What am I seeing in the water? Is that a pedestrian accessible dock/pier or just for boats or does that provide harbor shelter? What is the tower on it for? Looks interesting.
08-16-2018, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #11017
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That isn't a place familiar to me. What am I seeing in the water? Is that a pedestrian accessible dock/pier or just for boats or does that provide harbor shelter? What is the tower on it for? Looks interesting.
Thanks for your interest.... can I call you Uncle? :-)

Port Dover is a fishing port (yellow perch, walleye) and lakeside resort on the north shore of Lake Erie. We visit most years on our way to Long Point in the early spring (for birding) when there is still ice on the lake - this is the first time we have been there in the summer (they have good summer theatre). I was standing on a pier when I took the shot, looking across at a breakwater - the two protect the entrance to the fishing (and recreational/tour boat) harbour. The pier is accessible, the breakwater is not, and as you can see it hosts a lot of gulls and terns. This shot will make it a bit clearer, though it's not one of my best. The lighthouse at the end of the pier was originally built in 1847 but has been moved and clad with metal since then.

08-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #11018
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your interest.... can I call you Uncle? :-)

Port Dover is a fishing port (yellow perch, walleye) and lakeside resort on the north shore of Lake Erie. We visit most years on our way to Long Point in the early spring (for birding) when there is still ice on the lake - this is the first time we have been there in the summer (they have good summer theatre). I was standing on a pier when I took the shot, looking across at a breakwater - the two protect the entrance to the fishing (and recreational/tour boat) harbour. The pier is accessible, the breakwater is not, and as you can see it hosts a lot of gulls and terns. This shot will make it a bit clearer, though it's not one of my best. The lighthouse at the end of the pier was originally built in 1847 but has been moved and clad with metal since then.

That is much clearer. Any idea what the tunnel/tower thing on the breakwater is for? Any idea why they don't let people out there?
08-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #11019
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is much clearer. Any idea what the tunnel/tower thing on the breakwater is for? Any idea why they don't let people out there?
I think the tower on the breakwater is for another light, but I haven't been there at night. Google Earth shows the breakwater as being connected to a mooring facility that's probably private. In any case I think it's good to have a place where the birds can hang out unmolested.
08-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #11020
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the tower on the breakwater is for another light, but I haven't been there at night. Google Earth shows the breakwater as being connected to a mooring facility that's probably private. In any case I think it's good to have a place where the birds can hang out unmolested.
Birds unmolested? At most of the piers I've been near they swarm the people for the food! LOL.
08-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #11021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Birds unmolested? At most of the piers I've been near they swarm the people for the food! LOL.
They're some well fed birds. There's a sand(ish) beach on the right side beyond the pier with the green building, and ice cream and food shops nearby.
08-17-2018, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #11022
Pentaxian

08-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #11023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
They're some well fed birds. There's a sand(ish) beach on the right side beyond the pier with the green building, and ice cream and food shops nearby.
No to mention the local fishing fleet.
08-17-2018, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #11024
Pentaxian

08-18-2018, 01:05 AM - 11 Likes   #11025
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset in a bathtub.