Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #11476
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
It doesn't look like pixel shift was used somehow to me. Motion correction would never deal with that guy on the bike or kids and you're right the K3-ii doesn't have the feature anyway.
the camera did take it's sweet time processing after each of the shots....i am not familiar enough with ps and maybe the other images were just dropped and i only got a single shot out of the deal.....have quite a few others with people walking around captured in decently as well

I like the first train photo BTW nice one
thank you!
i am quite disappointed with the second as quite a bit on the sides is blurry even with it cropped from the sides some.....

02-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #11477
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
i am quite disappointed with the second as quite a bit on the sides is blurry even with it cropped from the sides some.....
The DA15 Ltd doesnt do well with that kind of shot. It has very soft edges at all apertures. Check out the sharpness fieldmap at dxomark to see how it behaves.
02-27-2020, 04:24 AM   #11478
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the camera did take it's sweet time processing after each of the shots....i am not familiar enough with ps and maybe the other images were just dropped and i only got a single shot out of the deal.....have quite a few others with people walking around captured in decently as well

thank you!
It is just focused in the wrong place, do not listen to posters who say you can't take this kind of photo, that is nonsense and I know from taking 1000s of photos using it.

Your first photo was perfectly focused!

I usually manually focus the DA15, it is a lens you got to learn how to get everything in nice focus.

I have photos of the front of my red brickwork house from about 10 meters away fully filling the frame and you can see every brick in focus. I may try and dig it out to show you.

02-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #11479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Check out the sharpness fieldmap at dxomark to see how it behaves.
thanks...will check it out

I usually manually focus the DA15, it is a lens you got to learn how to get everything in nice focus.
seems I will hafta to learn its sorcerous ways!!

02-28-2020, 01:37 AM - 4 Likes   #11480
Pentaxian

02-28-2020, 02:05 PM - 4 Likes   #11481
Veteran Member

A good read

thanks...will check it out

seems I will hafta to learn its sorcerous ways!!
Aaron, read this useful thread, particularly the section about field curvature which the DA15 has a good amount of.

Lens Rentals | Blog

This is why, for example, DXO close-up charts and close-up brick wall images show the field curvature of the DA15. Field curvature is lesser the more you stop the lens down and the DA15 also has less field curvature when focused further towards infinity. In close up flat surfaces the edges of , for example, a brick wall can be out of the depth of field meaning the centre is sharp where you placed focus and the ends of the wall are further away and out of acceptable depth of field. A concave curved brick wall would result in a sharper edge to edge photograph.

The corners and edges can also easily be out of the depth of field when using such UWA lenses such as the DA15, for example, objects a few feet away, the ground, a nearby wall being out of focus and distant mountains being in focus. Again stopping down the lens gives you greater depth of field.

In wide landscapes typically focusing about 1/3 the depth into the frame will usually give you acceptable depth of field of distant and close objects. Using f4 or f5.6 won't achieve this and I typically use f11 - f13 on the DA15 which also happens to create the most defined star or sun bursts.

I still find the DA15 very sharp at f11 or so from years of using it and 1000s of landscape photographs.

The above is why you have to learn the DA15

I have the HD DA 20-40 Limited and you don't have any where near the field curvature effect of the DA15 which is why I love using it at 20mm where the DA15 can throw up field curvature problems.
02-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #11482
Pentaxian

and I typically use f11 - f13 on the DA15 which also happens to create the most defined star or sun bursts.
thank you for all the info.....this is also good to know as usually I go with 'f8 and i'm there'.....rarely stop down any further unless doing macro.....although I was hoping to use it for widefield astro which seems may not be the best idea but will try out anyways.....I have a bower 14/f2.8 that is purdy good and seems maybe 'better' than the da15 as I do not recall having this type of issue but have not done the same type of shots with it either.....it rocks for star trails and decent for milky way although there are some 'edge' issues mostly trailing it seems

02-28-2020, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #11483
Pentaxian

another train on the k3-ii.....pixel shift

02-28-2020, 11:42 PM - 5 Likes   #11484
Pentaxian

02-29-2020, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #11485
Veteran Member

thank you for all the info.....this is also good to know as usually I go with 'f8 and i'm there'.....rarely stop down any further unless doing macro.....although I was hoping to use it for widefield astro which seems may not be the best idea but will try out anyways.....I have a bower 14/f2.8 that is purdy good and seems maybe 'better' than the da15 as I do not recall having this type of issue but have not done the same type of shots with it either.....it rocks for star trails and decent for milky way although there are some 'edge' issues mostly trailing it seems
My pleasure

I had the Samyang 14mm f2.8 (same lens as Bower label) before I bought the HD DA15. The Samyang is now my landscape astrophotography lens as it is sharper across the image, especially for pinpoint stars, sharp wide open and faster at f2.8.

There is a reason why I bought the DA15 and why the Samyang is only now used in darkness, although saying that, without stars in the sky I do use the DA15 for moonscapes because of the flare resistance and you get all the benefits of the landscape being moonlit the same way as in daylight.

Mike Oria on this website has used the DA15 for Milky Way landscapes and made great images, although he is an excellent photographer which helps, he knows how to get the most from a lens and work around any weaknesses.

Check this out...

Astrophotography. Astrotracer worth it? - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeoria/14277689371/
03-06-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #11486
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Streetlights

Check out the flare from the new LED streetlights in Bar Harbor.....zounds!
K-3 DA15 @f16
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-11-2020, 02:57 PM - 10 Likes   #11487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunset (DA 15 limited)

03-11-2020, 11:57 PM - 5 Likes   #11488
Veteran Member

DA15mm