Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #11761
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
I like the second shot. The blurring in the background complements the crisp image in the foreground.

As for the first shot, the blurring in the foreground distracts my eye. Does the converter do this to all such photos?

Cheers,
Loyd[COLOR="Silver"]

I never noticed, but only use the converter with a telephoto lens

05-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #11762
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought you risked damaging the lens or converter if used with the 15 or 21.
05-15-2021, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #11763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I thought you risked damaging the lens or converter if used with the 15 or 21.
I don't have the DA 1.4 teleconvertor, but the rear element of the DA 15 protrudes a bit at infinity focus (technically speaking there is a plastic collar surrounding the glass element that is ever so slightly below the glass element, but if the front element of the convertor is convex, I can see where the two pieces of glass might contact each other).
05-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #11764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the second shot. The blurring in the background complements the crisp image in the foreground.

As for the first shot, the blurring in the foreground distracts my eye. Does the converter do this to all such photos?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 09:44 AM ----------

These colours are delicious! Did you make any alterations to the original photos?

Cheers,
Loyd
I probably ran them through Color Efex Pro (Nik Effects) to enhance detail and bump shadows. Nothing else.

05-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #11765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
I never noticed, but only use the converter with a telephoto lens
OMG! I have used it with a variety of lenses, including my Fish-Eye. Where did you access the warning to use only telephoto lenses?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I probably ran them through Color Efex Pro (Nik Effects) to enhance detail and bump shadows. Nothing else.
I am not familiar with this program, but I love the effects. Please elaborate.

Cheers,
Loyd
05-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #11766
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG! I have used it with a variety of lenses, including my Fish-Eye. Where did you access the warning to use only telephoto lenses?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 06:06 PM ----------

I am not familiar with this program, but I love the effects. Please elaborate.

Cheers,
Loyd
Nik Effects was a software package that had a noise reduction, color enhancement, and black and white module with it. It was pretty expensive, then Google bought it and gave it away for a little while (but stopped working on it too) and then I think DXO Mark bought it. I'm using the original version that I think you can still find for free.

Nik Collection 2012 - Nik Collection by DxO
05-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #11767
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the way contributors to this forum experiment with the lens. Has anyone experimented with the DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter?

Cheers,
Loyd
I have done it but be aware it is listed as incompatible and there is a risk of damaging one or both.

HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

“Attachment disapproved” is the official language.

05-16-2021, 12:55 AM   #11768
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have done it but be aware it is listed as incompatible and there is a risk of damaging one or both.

HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Thanks, that is useful information
05-16-2021, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11769
Pentaxian

05-16-2021, 08:07 AM - 8 Likes   #11770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 15 limited and K1 in crop mode

05-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #11771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nik Effects was a software package that had a noise reduction, color enhancement, and black and white module with it. It was pretty expensive, then Google bought it and gave it away for a little while (but stopped working on it too) and then I think DXO Mark bought it. I'm using the original version that I think you can still find for free.

Nik Collection 2012 - Nik Collection by DxO
Thank you. Will the program accept RAW Pentax images?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-16-21 at 09:23 AM ----------

Thanks. I'll check the link. I hope no one damaged anything because of my question.

Cheers,
Loyd
05-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #11772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I'll check the link. I hope no one damaged anything because of my question.

Cheers,
Loyd
I did it before I knew also. I think the likely problem is only under very extreme scenarios. My guess is that at minimum focus the rear element might possibly touch. But it is a guess only.
05-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #11773
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. Will the program accept RAW Pentax images?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-16-21 at 09:23 AM ----------

Cheers,
Loyd
Nik Effects works with Tiff images. Usually generate those with LIghtroom, elements, or whatever your choice program is to do that.
05-16-2021, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #11774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

minimum focus
It is actually at maximum focus (infinity), but the barrel rotation between 3 meters and infinity is not large, so this "extreme scenario" might occur fairly often. It probably never occurred to the designer of the teleconvertor that anyone would use it with a f4 UWA lens.
05-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #11775
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nik Effects works with Tiff images. Usually generate those with LIghtroom, elements, or whatever your choice program is to do that.
Ok. Thanks Rondec. It is always good to know about programs that produce rich images like yours. How is it for black and white?

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 05-16-21 at 04:44 PM ----------

I did it before I knew also. I think the likely problem is only under very extreme scenarios. My guess is that at minimum focus the rear element might possibly touch. But it is a guess only.
Sheesh. I'm glad your lens isn't damaged. Thanks again for the link. Are there any other links that EVERY Pentax owner should be aware of? I am constantly experimenting with lens and body combinations. I especially love old lenses. They force me to pay attention.

A few years ago I tried to find an original version of the 15mm. Bought one online. Turned out to be the new version, so I returned it. Was I mistaken? Is the older version any better than the HD version?

Cheers,
Loyd