Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2021, 11:40 AM - 7 Likes   #11851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
riseform:

Nice photo! So even after the flash, the critter stuck around and had a drink long enough to trigger the flash again? Are you ever worried a badger or skunk would spray your camera out of panic?
Thanks, I think the camera is pretty safe from attack. The bear has come to inspect the box before but thankfully didn't destroy the set up. Human theft is probably the biggest threat to the set up.

This summer, I've had the trap set up virtually every night. I have a trail cam on the set up as well either in still or video mode. I show up on weekends to change out batteries and check the camera card. The skunks, raccoons, bear and deer seem to ignore the flash and drink away. I checked the card again last weekend on a quick stop and even the badger has made a reappearance (card still in the camera this week). This last month the skunk is showing up virtually every night. I think the animals are used to lightning and likely headlights for those animals that roam a larger territory. Earlier in the year, the deer realized they tripped a flash and would approach slowly trip the flash and then once they knew it was nothing, they'd stick around and drink, ignoring any further triggers.

This is breaking the 15mm rules as I took this earlier this year with the 40 mm, but this is my water hole set up. I'm absolutely addicted to camera trapping and would love to see it pick up in popularity and have its own thread on this forum. Camera is under a rubbermaid box protected from rain but not splash from bathing robins. Flashes are in my do it yourself tupperware boxes. The Camtraptions motion sensor is inside the fake rock with the hold drilled in it off to the left of the water hole entrance path (far left, barely visible in the first photo). The hose is on a timer adding a bit of water daily and there is a pump and small waterfall to keep things moving and filtered. I'll have to shut it down soon as the temperatures are getting close to freezing at night which will put an end to the hose and pump for the season.

10-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #11852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Thanks, I think the camera is pretty safe from attack. The bear has come to inspect the box before but thankfully didn't destroy the set up. Human theft is probably the biggest threat to the set up.

This summer, I've had the trap set up virtually every night. I have a trail cam on the set up as well either in still or video mode. I show up on weekends to change out batteries and check the camera card. The skunks, raccoons, bear and deer seem to ignore the flash and drink away. I checked the card again last weekend on a quick stop and even the badger has made a reappearance (card still in the camera this week). This last month the skunk is showing up virtually every night. I think the animals are used to lightning and likely headlights for those animals that roam a larger territory. Earlier in the year, the deer realized they tripped a flash and would approach slowly trip the flash and then once they knew it was nothing, they'd stick around and drink, ignoring any further triggers.

This is breaking the 15mm rules as I took this earlier this year with the 40 mm, but this is my water hole set up. I'm absolutely addicted to camera trapping and would love to see it pick up in popularity and have its own thread on this forum. Camera is under a rubbermaid box protected from rain but not splash from bathing robins. Flashes are in my do it yourself tupperware boxes. The Camtraptions motion sensor is inside the fake rock with the hold drilled in it off to the left of the water hole entrance path (far left, barely visible in the first photo). The hose is on a timer adding a bit of water daily and there is a pump and small waterfall to keep things moving and filtered. I'll have to shut it down soon as the temperatures are getting close to freezing at night which will put an end to the hose and pump for the season.

Really cool to see this in detail. The problem with camera trapping is that it may be ruled that no one owns the shots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie_copyright_dispute
You won?t own copyright in photos taken with Google?s new camera - Lexology
10-20-2021, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #11853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
What nonsense. All this assumes that a person (which includes corporate entities) cannot act through an agent. Under the Berne Convention, the person who owns the copyright is the "author" of the work. I.e., the "person" who created the work. If Google takes a picture by means of an automated agent, how is that different from me pressing the shutter button on a digital camera?

The really interesting question for me is, who on Earth would be dumb enough to buy such a thing? My advice would be to avoid Google where-ever possible.
dlhawes,

Did you post to the right forum? OOPS found the basis of your comment!!!

Cheers,
Loyd

Last edited by Mccsiz; 10-20-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Missed the purpose of the message.
10-20-2021, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #11854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Private Road - Usage on own risk!

KP | HD DA15 Ltd.

10-26-2021, 11:30 AM - 11 Likes   #11855
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Autumn in Acadia

Took an early morning walk in Acadia National Park this morning before the incoming storm blows down the remaining autumn leaves.
K-3/DA15ltd
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-26-2021, 07:12 PM - 6 Likes   #11856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things have been hectic on the homefront, so I decided to spend a few minutes in front of the home with my camera and one of our Halloween inflatables. This is a three shot composite with differing exposure settings to make my own little HDR image. I have been wanting to get re-acquainted with my beloved Pentax 15mm Limited lens again, and it didn't disappoint with its epic starbursts. I may have overexaggerated it this time around at an f/8 aperture, but who doesn't like a demon horse with blazing eyes? Though, to be honest, I probably should've used a wider aperture. Not so much for the starburst, but I was hoping the skeleton would be a bit more out of focus. As is, it's in that grey area of being confused for a missed focus instead of an intentional out of focus secondary subject.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-04-2021, 09:23 PM - 8 Likes   #11857
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The HD15 has been nearly controlling my mind lately... a trio from this afternoon's ramble:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
11-05-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #11858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
a trio from this afternoon's ramble:
Very nice, these photos convey the autumn season really well. I especially like the composition in the last one.
11-07-2021, 04:34 AM - 10 Likes   #11859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Track in the Frost (DA 15 limited)

11-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #11860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Really special capture. Took me a moment to see the symmetry. Great work putting the starburst on the right to balance the composition.
11-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #11861
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The composition is soooo good.
11-08-2021, 03:09 AM   #11862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Really special capture. Took me a moment to see the symmetry. Great work putting the starburst on the right to balance the composition.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The composition is soooo good.
Thank you both.
11-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #11863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked out your Flickr site. Can you give me some tips on how to capture moving water? You do it well.

Cheers,
Loyd
11-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #11864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
I checked out your Flickr site. Can you give me some tips on how to capture moving water? You do it well.

Cheers,
Loyd
I think the big things are to use a tripod, and try for a shutter speed between 1/8 second and 2 seconds. Depending on the light, you might need to use a neutral density filter. I usually use either the self timer option or a remote control to trigger the exposure as that keeps you from having movement. I don't know that there is much else to say there.
11-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #11865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the big things are to use a tripod, and try for a shutter speed between 1/8 second and 2 seconds. Depending on the light, you might need to use a neutral density filter. I usually use either the self timer option or a remote control to trigger the exposure as that keeps you from having movement. I don't know that there is much else to say there.
Interval composite mode also works for smoothing if a neutral density filter isn’t available. (Allowing the effect of a long exposure without a long exposure that might blow out the details due to overexposure. )