Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2022, 07:38 AM - 8 Likes   #12076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A little walk at île Fryer Island, Carignan, Quebec (Canada)

15mm LTD

Promenade à l'Île Fryer, Carignan, Québec

Promenade à l'Île Fryer, Carignan, Québec

10-28-2022, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #12077
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have taken several photos of streets with the DA 15, but only these two have multiple people in them. Personally, I think there are limited uses for this lens (pun intended) if you want to include people in your photo; the edge distortion really does a number on people on the sides and such a wide field of view spreads out a crowd and produces unflattering portraits. But each to their own, I guess.

10-28-2022, 03:44 PM - 3 Likes   #12078
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I have taken several photos of streets with the DA 15, but only these two have multiple people in them. Personally, I think there are limited uses for this lens (pun intended) if you want to include people in your photo; the edge distortion really does a number on people on the sides and such a wide field of view spreads out a crowd and produces unflattering portraits. But each to their own, I guess.
Depends on the composition. I like it for putting people in wider context.

K5 + DA 15 Limited, f/9

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 10-28-2022 at 04:16 PM.
10-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #12079
Pentaxian

As for all super-wide-angle lenses, they are fine if the people are in the centre where there's no distortion (such as the photo above) but no good when people are at th edge (for example to take a photo of a large group spread across the frame).

10-29-2022, 01:13 AM   #12080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

Not a special thing of the DA15. It‘s about distortion across the whole angle of view starting from the middle of the image circle to the borders of the frame. On APS-C 28 mm should show least distortion over the whole image, i.e. sensor area. 15mm compared to 28mm yields strong distortion at the borders,

It‘s a personal decision where you draw the line for too much „people distortion“ and as already said by Jonathan and Paul depends strongly on your composition. Position people more to the middle if you want them less distorted. The wider the lens relative to normal FL the more important this rule. While composing you should be able to check what‘s acceptable for you - indepently from the used FL.

Hint: „normal“ FL @ Full Frame means 43mm. 15mm @ FF relative to 43mm yields to even more distortion across the whole frame. So you have „to move“ people more to the middle of the frame compared to using it on APS-C. Everything is relative … use a camera with 1“ sensor or crop to that area and 15 mm nearly is the normal FL … and ~16 mm is.

Last edited by acoufap; 10-29-2022 at 01:22 AM.
10-29-2022, 03:46 AM - 5 Likes   #12081
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tiny Barn at Dawn (DA 15 limited/pixel shift)

Country Road (DA 15 limited/pixel shift)

10-29-2022, 07:16 AM - 9 Likes   #12082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
Is the HD 15mm Limited a good lens for street photography, paired with the K70?
15 is very comfortable (never had 70, I can't compare)

for example:

Last edited by juristkostya; 10-29-2022 at 07:41 AM.
10-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #12083
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by juristkostya Quote
15 is very comfortable (never had 70, I can't compare)
Yes! Street is more traditionally done with a 35mm (on FF) perspective but a 24mm (DA 15 on APSC is slightly wider than that) perspective is also good. Street is not typically done with telephoto lenses but with wide angle ones. I've used the 40, but the 70 would be very long and wouldn't produce the intimacy that the in the face wide angles do. At least that's my opinion.

Rules are of course made to be broken...
10-30-2022, 01:40 PM - 8 Likes   #12084
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Country Road (DA 15 limited)

Sky at Dawn (DA 15 limited/pixel shift)

11-05-2022, 03:13 AM - 6 Likes   #12085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of Autumn shots with the DA 15 limited and pixel shift.

Autumn

Country Road in the Fall

11-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #12086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Am I right in thinking that this is a great lens to use when you're taking photos with as few people in the shot as possible? I live in NYC and I'm mainly interested in photos of the skyline, Central Park and landmark buildings.
11-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #12087
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
Am I right in thinking that this is a great lens to use when you're taking photos with as few people in the shot as possible? I live in NYC and I'm mainly interested in photos of the skyline, Central Park and landmark buildings.
I'm not sure I understand
11-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #12088
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm not sure I understand
I was looking at the most recent photos in this thread & they're usually scenes without many people. So I wondered if whether this would be the right lens for me, if I'm not into candid shots/street photography.
11-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #12089
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was looking at the most recent photos in this thread & they're usually scenes without many people. So I wondered if whether this would be the right lens for me, if I'm not into candid shots/street photography.
Being very wide it can be distorting to people you are close to or to groups of people. It really can be used effectively with people, but the specifics matter.
11-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #12090
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wide angles make things close to the lens look big, while making things far away look smaller. People do tend to use them for landscape purposes, but clearly that isn't the only thing you can do with them.

As Uncle Vanya says, people who are on the edges of a wide angle image are going to look distorted, which isn't great, but if they are standing far enough back, they are small and you don't notice them.