Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Igilligan

The 'Hey this lens has glass elements in it' Lens Club

Thought it would be fun to start a "hey this lens has glass elements" Lens Club

If your lens uses Glass, and mounts on your Pentax or Samsung DSLR, feel free post photos here.

Please describe the lens and verify that it has glass and not plastic lens elements. You can even post a photo of the lens if you like.

You can post photos from some of the new plastic element lenses if you use a glass UV or polarizing filter on the front of the
plastic lens or if you are using a Glass T.C such as the Pentax, Tamron or Sigma 1.4x or 1.7x TC's.

If it is one of the new lenses that uses a combination of External glass and internal plastic elements... we can start a new lens club for that one.

If you are unsure of what was used to construct your lens... you should be able to safely put your photos
in one of the two 'Vivitar Lens Club' threads, since Vivitar makes most lenses anyway.

I will start us off...

Nikkor 105 2.8

Tamron 28-75 with hoya Pro 1 glass filter

Cosina 55 1.2

Vivitar 105 2.8

01-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Each of those 4 lenses already has a club (or 2 or 3) for them. Therefore, this club does not need to be indexed in the Club Index. Trust me, I know what you mean though!

CanofWorms
01-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't own a Pentax DSLR, so I guess that I can't enter the club
Which is too bad, all my lenses have Glass Elements,
01-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First you confuse me with your forum name...then you tell me that the aspherical elements in my lenses are made of plastic...

01-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
axl
Inactive Account

How do I know which lenses have glass in it and which don't?!?
I guess though, that out of my arsenal, the Sigi and Tammy are plastic, while the rest may be glass, or not?
01-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know of a single lens that is all-plastic, other than things like lensbaby...
01-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Many modern lenses use so-called "hybrid" elements. Those are spherical glass elements covered with a layer of plastic to give them an aspherical shape. Almost every modern lens with aspherical elements uses hybrid elements. Among current Pentax lenses, the only exception is the FA 31/1.8 Ltd, which uses a glass molded aspherical element (now, you know why it is so expensive). So, if your lens has aspherical elements (and this is the case for most zooms and wide angle lenses, including the Pentax Limited wides), then it is not eligible for this thread.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 01-29-2010 at 05:23 PM.
01-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Igilligan

Hearts are made to be broken - Rules are made to be changed

As I mentioned any lens, even combination plastic / glass lenses can be used in this thread if a Glass TC or Glass filter is used.

This should open the "Hey this lens has Glass elements in it Club" to many options.

But I am all about being inclusive in my new lens club, so lets say if you shoot thru a glass window --- then that would count too.

It is really all going out and taking photos and sharing them... Lets not get bogged down in the minutiae...

here are two more just to try and get this back on track...

CZ super dynarex 135

Vivitar 90mm

Nokton 58mm

01-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gus = Mr Insensitive

For your information some people have been duped on ebay and paid $7000 for a 600mm Pentax lens for example that had no elements at all! The lens was a demo model for product images, and only had the barrel and mount, no elements. I think it's rather rude to make fun of those poor saps who tried to buy that lens, Gus! So insensitive.
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
Igilligan

That one would not qualify... per se

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
For your information some people have been duped on ebay and paid $7000 for a 600mm Pentax lens for example that had no elements at all! The lens was a demo model for product images, and only had the barrel and mount, no elements. I think it's rather rude to make fun of those poor saps who tried to buy that lens, Gus! So insensitive.
It should have glass or plastic in it to be in this thread... otherwise it is just a big giant extension tube.

Hopefully someone can start an Extension Tube Club thread. And you can use that 600mm Pentax in that one Jay.

It breaks my heart to hear "some poor sap" got burned. I hope you can file a claim.
01-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
It should have glass or plastic in it to be in this thread... otherwise it is just a big giant extension tube.

Hopefully someone can start an Extension Tube Club thread. And you can use that 600mm Pentax in that one Jay.

It breaks my heart to hear "some poor sap" got burned. I hope you can file a claim.
Oh, it had a couple of elements in it, just not $7000 worth.
01-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Gus!

What if I muttered the word 'glass' when the image is being posted, would that count?

Thank you

P.S: May be if I say it three times,... anything said three times ought to be enough, me thinks.
01-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The point is... there is no lens without some glass in it, except things like the lens baby. So, this thread is essentially the "any and all lens club"... no offense but I don't see how it could possibly flourish or have a point.
01-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
The point is... there is no lens without some glass in it, except things like the lens baby. So, this thread is essentially the "any and all lens club"... no offense but I don't see how it could possibly flourish or have a point.
I think if you step back and think about it, you will realize that this is Gus' attempt at lens club satire.
01-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think if you step back and think about it, you will realize that this is Gus' attempt at lens club satire.
If so, I'm not getting it for that effect either...