Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Matt Gun, would love to see a pic of the lens mount of the adapted Olympus 35 shift lens.
thanks
barondla
might try it myself.
Here are a few pictures of the conversion, posted previously in the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34323-zuiko-lens-club-2.html.

The original OM mount removed from the lens together with the flanged K mount and brass blank which combined to make the new K mount:

The new K mount after silver soldering but before final machining:

The K mount centred on my small lathe being machined to final dimensions:

The completed K mount next to the original OM mount:

The tolerences are not really that tight and so it is quit possible to make the conversion without machine tools as several people have done with other Zuiko lenses.

Last edited by MattGunn; 03-13-2010 at 12:53 PM.
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MattGunn, Where did you come up with the brass blank?
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
MattGunn, Where did you come up with the brass blank?
I used two suitable sized holesaws to cut it out from a bit of 6mm thick brass plate left over from a previous job.
03-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #34
Site Supporter

The Mamiya TLR lenses are good candidates for DIY tilt shifts:

This one is the 2nd generation 80mm f/2.8 (non-S) with the "blue dot" shutter. A $29 "Ugly" lens from KEH

Seems that there is 16.5mm of "wiggle room" between the mount flange and the lens to add mechanisms for tilt and shift. To top it off, you also get a twofer

03-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The MC 35 TS and MC 80 TS are Arax lenses made by Arsenal in Kiev. They are supposed to be pretty decent and the optics were used in the Hartblei Super-Rotator.

Steve
I have the Arax Tilt/Shift 35/2.8 lens. It's a very good lens, sharp (needs to be closed down a bit when shifted or tilted), with good colors and particularly resistant to flare:

Better hurry if you want to get one:

Дорогие друзья и киеваголики.

Очень жаль информировать, что после 245 лет существования, завод Арсенал окончательно закрылся и канул в историю. После многочисленных судебных процессов, вместо "Государственного Предприятия Завод Арсенал" появилась новая структура "СКТБ" (Специальное Кострукторско-Техническое Бюро), руководство завода упразднено, рабочие места кардинально сокращены, цеха закрыты, оборудование распродается, производство остановлено, склады опустошены.

Хорошая новость заключается в том, что мы выкупили камеры среднего формата, запчасти к ним и обеспечены материалом как минимум еще на 4-5 лет работы. Поэтому, Вы как и прежде будете иметь возможность приобрести камеры АРАКС с включенной годичной полной гарантией. В любом случае, Вы никогда не останетесь наедине с техническими проблемами еще много много много лет.

С уважением,
Геворг Вартанян
Arax Photo | Upgraded russian medium format KIEV cameras, lenses, accessories.

Arax translation:

Dear friends and kievaholiks.

It is pity to inform that after 245 year the ARSENAL factory (Zavod ARSENAL in Russian) is lost. After many judicial proceedings now we have the Special Construction Department (SKTB in Russian) instead of ARSENAL factory. The factory management, including the director of factory, are totally changed. The workers are discharges, all manufacturing is stopped, the factory storehouse is empty.

The good news is that we have bought the medium format cameras and parts for several years of works and we'll keep our business running at least 4–5 years more. So, you'll have ability to buy ARAX cameras as usually with our one year worldwide warranty. In any case, you will never be left alone with a problem from your ARAX cameras many many many years.

Sincerely,
Gevorg Vartanyan,
Arax Photo | Upgraded russian medium format KIEV cameras, lenses, accessories.

Quoted from The Online Photographer

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 03-14-2010 at 02:42 AM.
03-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Schneider Varioflex II TS

Just found this & it's almost gone. Wayyy too rich for my blood, but a beautiful lens.
03-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Just found this & it's almost gone. Wayyy too rich for my blood, but a beautiful lens.
Very cool!

Speaking of too rich for one's blood, check out this tilt/shift solution...especially the video...
Cambo - X2-PRO for DSLR
A kit for Nikon or Canon goes for about $2K USD exclusive of lens and dSLR camera!

Steve

03-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kkado Quote
The Mamiya TLR lenses are good candidates for DIY tilt shifts:

Seems that there is 16.5mm of "wiggle room" between the mount flange and the lens to add mechanisms for tilt and shift. To top it off, you also get a twofer
Twofer for $29 is always a great deal. However, I've always wondered about TLR lenses... is the "viewing" lens equal to the "film" lens? Which will you use?

The MC 35 TS and MC 80 TS are Arax lenses made by Arsenal in Kiev. They are supposed to be pretty decent and the optics were used in the Hartblei Super-Rotator.
From what I've read, heard, and seen, the "sharpness and resolution king" of the Arsenal/ Arax lenses for shift is the 55mm: Arax Photo | Lenses | MC ARSAT PCS 4.5/55 Shift lens.
And since it's intended for P6 MF shift work, you can pop a Tilt-Pentax adapter on it and have the "Hartblei-style" tilt and shift in one very sharp (but not very wide) lens.

...Or, just get a P6-Pentax 645 adapter and put it on your 645D! but
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very cool!

Speaking of too rich for one's blood, check out this tilt/shift solution...especially the video...
Cambo - X2-PRO for DSLR
A kit for Nikon or Canon goes for about $2K USD exclusive of lens and dSLR camera!

Steve
That looks like it has very similar functionality to my converted Ilford Monobar but with front only movements and more restricted movement range. It seems like a lot of money for something wich like the monobar will only work with relatively long lenses which must restrict its aplications. Too bad its not available for Pentax mount...
03-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Twofer for $29 is always a great deal. However, I've always wondered about TLR lenses... is the "viewing" lens equal to the "film" lens? Which will you use?

From what I've read, heard, and seen, the "sharpness and resolution king" of the Arsenal/ Arax lenses for shift is the 55mm: Arax Photo | Lenses | MC ARSAT PCS 4.5/55 Shift lens.
And since it's intended for P6 MF shift work, you can pop a Tilt-Pentax adapter on it and have the "Hartblei-style" tilt and shift in one very sharp (but not very wide) lens.

...Or, just get a P6-Pentax 645 adapter and put it on your 645D! but
In some TLRs, the viewing and the taking lenses can have different f-stops but the same focal length. . . But the lenses on the Mamiya TLRs seem identical, down to the length, diameter, etc. The coatings seem to be slightly different colors, though. I'll be using the viewing lens for my project because it's smaller and easier to build an assembly around.
03-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by kkado Quote
In some TLRs, the viewing and the taking lenses can have different f-stops but the same focal length. . . But the lenses on the Mamiya TLRs seem identical, down to the length, diameter, etc. The coatings seem to be slightly different colors, though. I'll be using the viewing lens for my project because it's smaller and easier to build an assembly around.
Agreed, the viewing lens have less mechanism sticking out of it so it's easier to build around, but there is no f-stop control (the only exception being the late 105mm lens with DoF preview viewing lens). If you use the taking lens you have to find a way to keep the leaf shutter open (i.e. with a shutter release cable connected to your tilt-shift rig. One good thing with using the taking lens is that you get up to 1/500s flash sync with the leaf shutter, but you'll likely need a tripod to make sure the framing hasn't changed while you frame your composition > focus > close the shutter > wind the shutter > set camera to bulb & fire the camera shutter > fire the shutter on lens. So in that sense it's probably not that useful...
03-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #42

Anyone knows of a tilt/shift adapter from Pentax 645 to Pentax-K? I have a bunch of Pentax 645 lenses and I would love to use them on either 35mm film or APS-C bodies.
03-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #43

I've never come across P645-P/K tilt/shift adapter. In theory I think a shift adapter is possible (although probably not too much shift due to the rather "small" image circle of the P645). The difference in flange distances between the two formats means you probably won't get 8-10 degree tilt even if there's such an adapter.

All in all, I think from a technical standpoint a P67-P/K adapter makes more sense. All of the statements above assumes infinity-focus is preserved.
03-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #44
Site Supporter

The fifth incarnation of my silly tilt-shift project, this time using the viewing lens from a 80/2.8 Mamiya TLR lens:

Makeshift helical focus allows for macro and infinity focus:

Vignetting is not a problem with the medium format lens, so false miniatures are easy:

And magnification is quite good because the helical is essentially an extension tube:
05-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #45

Is anyone here using the SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5 shift? Bought it for around 325$ from a dutch internet marketplace. The lens is in near mint condition, the glas is free of any dust, scratches or fungus.

With the help of an adapter you can use pentax lenses on a crop (1.6x) digital body but not on a full frame because of the lever for the aperture which would hit the mirror. The 28mm shift lacks this lever so i can use it on a digital full frame camera without adjusting the lens. It will focus to infinity and the 28mm make it a real wideangle.

The lens:

and a preview shot with the Canon 5D:

Only shifted a few millimeters. Will post a better example soon!