by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Ávila

06-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #2297
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Sigma EX 105/2.8 Macro

I like very much the simplicity of your first shot (the space makes minimalism)
06-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #2298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by the scout Quote
I like very much the simplicity of your first shot (the space makes minimalism)
Thank you!

---------- Post added 06-29-19 at 12:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Sigma EX 105mm f/2.8 macro
Is yours a "DG" version on plain EX?
06-29-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #2299
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide, three landscape images stitched and processed in Photoshop.

07-01-2019, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote

Is yours a "DG" version on plain EX?
Plain old EX, but I can't complain about the lens at all.

Here are a couple more with the 17-50/2.8

Ávila

Ávila
07-01-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #2301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
K-1, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide, three landscape images stitched and processed in Photoshop.

Hello Racer !

well done,

what's your opinion about the mini wide 28 ?, it was on my wish list for its ration price/performance but I read everything in comparison with Pentax 28 mm _a or _m ...

bye
07-01-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #2302
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Racer !

well done,
Thank you Scout.

what's your opinion about the mini wide 28 ?, it was on my wish list for its ration price/performance but I read everything in comparison with Pentax 28 mm _a or _m ...
I like it a lot, but it would be better if is was an A type lens. Since I don't have any other 28mm lenses, I can't compare it to others.

I am looking for a Pentax A28mm though, so when I get one I will be better prepared to draw comparisons.

07-02-2019, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #2303
Pentaxian

Hello Racer !

well done,

bye
Thank you Scout.

I like it a lot, but it would be better if is was an A type lens. Since I don't have any other 28mm lenses, I can't compare it to others.

I am looking for a Pentax A28mm though, so when I get one I will be better prepared to draw comparisons.
I have both the mini-wide (Pentax and Minolta SR mounts) and the Pentax A. They're both good lenses and overall I'd say that the Pentax is probably a little better. It has the rendering of a very modern lens: sharp, great colour and contrast - but is soft wide open, though nice and sharp from f/4, and mine over-exposes a bit when on the A setting (not sure if this is a general characteristic or just my copy). Bokeh can be very nasty. It is well built - mine took a tumble on the K-3 when I was in Japan as I fell over and the hand holding the K-3 and A 28/2.8 hit the ground, lens first, with a considerable portion of my weight behind it. The filter ring was dented and that was it. I'm quite sure a newer lens would not have survived, not to mention saved my camera from damage.

The Sigma has a well-known and very real problem with flare, which limits how well it can be used if the sun is in (or just outside) the frame. However, it's sharper than the Pentax A, especially wide open where it's already very sharp indeed, and the bokeh is much nicer. When used for close-ups (in which it would be very rare for the sun to be in the frame) it can produce very nice images indeed, and I feel that's where it really excels.

There's a A version of the Sigma for Ricoh's non-standard auto-aperture control (the one that uses the infamous RICOH pin) but I'm not sure if one was manufactured with the Pentax implementation of auto-aperture. If so then I suspect they're extremely rare as I've never seen one.

So the A is overall a better choice for general use, but it's also harder to find and usually around twice the price of the Sigma. The Sigma's also worth having and can be had for €40 or less, so for a small outlay of cash it's easy to try it out.

I have Flickr albums of both (made the A one just now as I realised I didn't have one):

Pentax: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathandmacdonald/albums/72157709379228802/with/27997904683/

Sigma: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathandmacdonald/albums/72157669470999666

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-02-2019 at 03:46 AM.
07-02-2019, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #2304
Veteran Member

So the A is overall a better choice for general use, but it's also harder to find and usually around twice the price of the Sigma. The Sigma's also worth having and can be had for €40 or less, so for a small outlay of cash it's easy to try it out.

I have Flickr albums of both (made the A one just now as I realised I didn't have one):

Pentax: Pentax A 28mm f/2.8 | Flickr

Sigma: Sigma mini-wide 28mm f/2.8 | Flickr
Thank you Jonathan and RacerX69,
Sharpness is my first condition generally dealing with lenses, but if I am right, the Pentax is nicer to use, strong and with a better coating. A is a comfortable option too ...
Sigma is cheaper and sharp ...
I see more flowers and macros with your Sigma than the Pentax ? is it closer ?

It will be difficult to choose and to find
07-02-2019, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #2305
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the mini-wide (Pentax and Minolta SR mounts) and the Pentax A. They're both good lenses and overall I'd say that the Pentax is probably a little better. It has the rendering of a very modern lens: sharp, great colour and contrast - but is soft wide open, though nice and sharp from f/4, and mine over-exposes a bit when on the A setting (not sure if this is a general characteristic or just my copy). Bokeh can be very nasty. It is well built - mine took a tumble on the K-3 when I was in Japan as I fell over and the hand holding the K-3 and A 28/2.8 hit the ground, lens first, with a considerable portion of my weight behind it. The filter ring was dented and that was it. I'm quite sure a newer lens would not have survived, not to mention saved my camera from damage.

The Sigma has a well-known and very real problem with flare, which limits how well it can be used if the sun is in (or just outside) the frame. However, it's sharper than the Pentax A, especially wide open where it's already very sharp indeed, and the bokeh is much nicer. When used for close-ups (in which it would be very rare for the sun to be in the frame) it can produce very nice images indeed, and I feel that's where it really excels.

There's a A version of the Sigma for Ricoh's non-standard auto-aperture control (the one that uses the infamous RICOH pin) but I'm not sure if one was manufactured with the Pentax implementation of auto-aperture. If so then I suspect they're extremely rare as I've never seen one.

Pentax: Pentax A 28mm f/2.8 | Flickr

Sigma: Sigma mini-wide 28mm f/2.8 | Flickr
Sharpness is my first condition generally dealing with lenses, but if I am right, the Pentax is nicer to use, strong and with a better coating. A is a comfortable option too ...

Well just after I replied to Scout yesterday, I got a price reduction update from eBay on a lens I had been watching, a Pentax A 28 f 2.8. The listing also had a make offer button, and after a couple of back and forth offers and counter offers I now am expecting another lens to be added to my collection.

So very soon I will be comparing the two myself.

Yay!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-02-2019 at 08:03 AM.
07-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #2306
Veteran Member

I got an price reduction update from eBay on a lens I had been watching, a Pentax A 28 f 2.8. now am expecting another lens to be added to my collection.

Yay!
Congrats, well done !
07-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #2307
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats, well done !
Thank you.
07-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #2308
Pentaxian

The flare issue with the Sigma means that the Pentax has sometimes gone travelling with me (Japan and Italy) mainly as a wide option for film but getting some use on digital too. When travelling my main use for such a lens is landscapes, cityscapes, street, etc etc, so relatively likely to have the sun in the frame. When just popping a lens on a camera for a walk-about I'm far more likely to use it for close-ups, little details etc so sharpness is more important and risk of flare much less so. So in the end each lens gets used for what it's best at and that means different types of images from each.

Having said that, I've used the Sigma far less than it deserves as it really can produce great results, but I have a lot of nice old 28mm lenses that also have their strengths (including both versions of the Vivitar 28mm f/2).
07-03-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #2309
Veteran Member

Yay!
Hi, sorry for the irrelevance, but yesterday I fell for a 28 mm Pentax-m F3.5 (not the best K version), a little dusty, and won the auction (for about the price of a Sigma 28 delivery cost included). Money goes to an health foundation, so I won't be able to compare but Yay too !!! thank you Jonathan for your answer, hope it will be sharp enough !
07-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #2310
Pentaxian

Hi, sorry for the irrelevance, but yesterday I fell for a 28 mm Pentax-m F3.5 (not the best K version), a little dusty, and won the auction (for about the price of a Sigma 28 delivery cost included). Money goes to an health foundation, so I won't be able to compare but Yay too !!! thank you Jonathan for your answer, hope it will be sharp enough !
The M 28mm f/3.5 is certainly better than the f/2.8 (both versions) and it's sharp wide open. The rendering is very "flat" though, without the vibrancy you get from many other lenses, especially the earlier K series 28mm f/3.5, which has a different optical formula. I've owned two copies and the second didn't focus to infinity, so please check for this. It may not be a problem common to that lens, it could have just been my copy, but worth a quick check.