But nailed it!
Thanks!

07-05-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #1562

a6500 + K135/2.5 handheld

07-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #1563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Waiting for hummingbirds, but only managed a bee.

K135 f2.5 around f5.6 on K-5
Even the K-5 can BIF.
07-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #1564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Even the K-5 can BIF.
I lot of waiting too. Never did get the hummingbird. It danced all around the other flowers, but stayed clear of the one I setup on.

07-11-2018, 12:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1565
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Wild Weegie

07-11-2018, 12:46 AM - 2 Likes   #1566
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Pied Piper

07-11-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #1567
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheeky Streets

07-11-2018, 02:27 AM   #1568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Cheeky Street
You've had your day of summer for 2018 then Kerrowdown
07-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #1569
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
You've had your day of summer for 2018 then Kerrowdown
Don't tell anyone... but it's actually been quite good this year.

But you understand that doesn't fit the stereotype Scotland, that we portray and sell to the rest of the world.
07-11-2018, 03:35 AM   #1570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't tell anyone... but it's actually been quite good this year.

But you understand that doesn't fit the stereotype Scotland, that we portray and sell to the rest of the world.
While you're on air Kerrowdown, I'm thinking about a self drive holiday in Scotland in 2019...potentially a long loop starting in Manchester, up the west coast, a good pause in Skye, eventually to Edinburgh and back to Manchester via Yorkshire and Leeds. Pondering September after the summer tourist peak passes but before the weather deteriorates. Is that a good time or is late spring better (I like being a shoulder season traveller). And is it worth tracking around the top from Skye to John O'Groats? I'm planning on spending a month or so doing this and not booking very far ahead so I can just chill and go with the flow.
07-11-2018, 04:07 AM - 4 Likes   #1571
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

While you're on air Kerrowdown, I'm thinking about a self drive holiday in Scotland in 2019...potentially a long loop starting in Manchester, up the west coast, a good pause in Skye, eventually to Edinburgh and back to Manchester via Yorkshire and Leeds. Pondering September after the summer tourist peak passes but before the weather deteriorates. Is that a good time or is late spring better (I like being a shoulder season traveller). And is it worth tracking around the top from Skye to John O'Groats? I'm planning on spending a month or so doing this and not booking very far ahead so I can just chill and go with the flow.
Ok, here we go... I would say September (weather can be hit or miss anytime of year, it's Scotland we're talking here ) as the schools will be back functioning again, i.e. no kids aboot.

Best bit of advice I can offer to anyone visiting is... take your time, relax, have a dram, take in the views and don't try to do too much. In the Highlands especially, couple of inches on a map, 50 miles by road, could take up to 2 1/2 hours, so chill go with flow. We're very laid back up here and no ones dying of stress, that is apart from visitors who choose not heed my advice.

"(I like being a shoulder season traveller)" your gonna have to explain that to me, you've lost me back someways.

Depending what your looking from your trip, bearing in mind I don't know if your oot doorsy folk, climbers, walkers, canoeists etc, or like the old Kerrowdown just relaxing and making fine imagery of what's in front of me.

Skye is not such a big place, so I would have thought a couple days to be more than enough, I would use it as a stepping off point to the Western Isles. I've just come back from the Isle of Harris (Uig, Portree to Tarbett, Ferry 1 1/2 hours crossing, car + 2 folk £80.00) IMHO a place to die for, see attached couple of images.

As for the far North John O'Groats and the like, I would be tempted to perhaps give that a miss, there's just so much more to see in Scotland.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-11-2018 at 04:26 AM.
07-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #1572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, here we go... I would say September (weather can be hit or miss anytime of year, it's Scotland we're talking here ) as the schools will be back functioning again, i.e. no kids aboot.

Best bit of advice I can offer to anyone visiting is... take your time, relax, have a dram, take in the views and don't try to do too much. In the Highlands especially, couple of inches on a map, 50 miles by road, could take up to 2 1/2 hours, so chill go with flow. We're very laid back up here and no ones dying of stress, that is apart from visitors who choose not heed my advice.

"(I like being a shoulder season traveller)" your gonna have to explain that to me, you've lost me back someways.

Depending what your looking from your trip, bearing in mind I don't know if your oot doorsy folk, climbers, walkers, canoeists etc, or like the old Kerrowdown just relaxing and making fine imagery of what's in front of me.
Ok. Shoulder season first.: it's a term we use down here to describe the times of year inbetween the tourist/holiday high season (eg summer holidays period) and the low season (depth of winter). I like travelling in the in-between bits: weather generally pleasant, airfares and accommodation more reasonably priced, and less queuing for pretty well anything compared to the high season.

Second, my likes: If I had to choose a city or country holiday, I lean to the country holiday; casual walking (nothing hard core, I'm a 58 y.o. office worker), water and coast focused person (fish/boat/sail/canoe), want to bring home lots of good photos with the K-1 (eg happy to wait a couple of hours on a lonely headland waiting for the 'just right' light, happy to sit in a small pub on a rainy day sampling the local produce and chatting to the locals - assuming I can understand a word they say! What else: closet train/plane/boat spotter.

With all the above stated, interested in roaming about and exploring some of the Scottish islands. Fine with a small ferry in a sloppy sea. Competent driver, intend to be limited only by what the hire car can do.

Definitely planning to go slow and chill.
07-11-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #1573
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoulder season first.
Thanks for the insight, it's not a term I've come across before, but makes a lot of sense once explained.

happy to wait a couple of hours on a lonely headland waiting for the 'just right' light
Here you wont have to wait so long, we have a phase... if you don't like what you see, wait twenty minutes.

This is the original land... of four seasons in a morning.

happy to sit in a small pub on a rainy day sampling the local produce and chatting to the locals - assuming I can understand a word they say!
You'll do just fine, we say the same about you Aussies, but when it comes to drinking... you could wish for none better, that is provided you keep buying your round when it's your turn.

I've come across one or two of your countryman... that have had a terrible disability, deep pockets and short arms.

Definitely planning to go slow and chill.
In that case you'll have a great time.

If there's anything else let me know or send me a quick PM.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-11-2018 at 05:15 AM.
07-11-2018, 06:52 PM - 6 Likes   #1574

Daisies for Don

K1. A*135mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #1575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MKohoutek Quote
Daisies for Don