Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ring flash / ring light for macro

Hi

It seems that the Sigma EM140 ring flash will never make for Pentax. So I am looking for an alternative for macro photos.

Doing a search on internet, I found the "Digi-Slave L-Ring 3200" Slave Flash for Digital Cameras.

Has anyone tried out such a ring light, is it any good, are there other alternatives?

Would the website have displayed some good macros of flowers or insects, I would not hesitate too long, but it shows some teeth closeups. I am not sure if dental photography is having the same requirements as "normal" macro photography.

07-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I almost bought a promaster ring flash once....
07-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

I guess since it works as a slave, theoretically you could just as well use the sigma and take it off the hot shoe and use one of those cheap slave triggers from ebay

Seriously though... I believe a problem with this unit would be lack of power? Also, I dont know if it can do it, but if I were to get a ring flash then I would deffinetley want one that has 2 tubes and allows for different ratios on each of them to avoid getting too flat looking pictures. the sigma can do this.

mjb mentiones promaster, I know there is another flash maker that theoretically should support pentax, I cant remember the name night now, but they have a system where you buy the flash in modules, the bottom module being the camera specific adapter, then the power module and then the flash head, and they have a flash ring flash head available.
07-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Seriously though... I believe a problem with this unit would be lack of power? Also, I dont know if it can do it, but if I were to get a ring flash then I would deffinetley want one that has 2 tubes and allows for different ratios on each of them to avoid getting too flat looking pictures. the sigma can do this.
i agree. i have a manual ring flash and a DIY 24 high intensity LED ring light. both work very well but i find the shots to be a little flat and that's why i have a custom grip and the neccessary attachments for off camera flash. ialso think that $289 is a bit steep for something that only has one use. i could be talked out of the ring flash for 1/6 the price of the listing you posted.

07-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all your answers.

I also feared the light might be too strong and resulting in a flat result. If the price would have been much lower, I would probably have ordered it to try, but this is quite high without knowing the results when using such a ring light.
07-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

too bad flash systems are manufacturer specific, otherwise you could get one of those cooool nikon wireless macro flashes