Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

cheap flash

I mostly prefer shooting available light. I have on occasion used reflectors. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a little hand held unit to do close in fill flash work, or the ability to do single light, portrait work. I have a k100D and am on a strict budget. What could I get for $50 USD? Would an old Sunpak make sense, or would I be better off with a new, small ,lowpower 3rd party flash?

thanks

05-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the accessory section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I would try to find a used flash that does swivel and tilt for bounce. Auto flash is helpful, low flash trigger voltage (<6 volts I think) is a must. I picked up a Sunpak 422D last year that does all of the above for around $50 I think. I wish it had a higher guide number, but otherwise it works for helping me learn fill and bounce flash techniques.

I'm not sure which new flash you could get for ~$50, but low output would really limit your options in terms of usage, especially for bounce.
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a few options around for a cheap manual or A flash with the essential features of tilt & swivel and variable manual flash output settings. As mentioned, just be certain of the trigger voltage being less than about 10V.

Check here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

05-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't underestimate the utility of the pop-up flash for close-in fill. Just knock it down a couple stops and or use the nifty Fuji film-can diffuser and you've got something.

I'm still kind of dissatisfied with the rest of the possibilities, it's hard to find something small you can really control. Flash isn't a Pentax strong suit as yet, but I can plug in my trusty 285 on a coiley cord and do like I always did.
05-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought the old vivitar 285s were to high a voltage I know the old 283s will fry a digital camera better make sure
05-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my Pentax AF280T. You can usually get them for around $50. It is a auto flash with swivel and tilt.

05-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Please read this thread.

The Sunpak setup in the photo in my post (Sunpak 36DX + module + extension cord) is well within $50 budget from B&H or KEH. With the guide number of 120 (ft, ISO 100), the Sunpak is as powerful as any flash unit of similar size.

The extension cord is optional, but it's only a few $, and is very convenient if you use a flash bracket or use the flash for macro shots.

I have 2 Pentax 540 units, but the Sunpak is in my "everyday" photo backpack.
05-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.

The ability to hand hold the flash or mount it on a light tripod is important to me. Do I understand that the coil package itself will likely run $40 + ?
05-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manybobs Quote
The ability to hand hold the flash or mount it on a light tripod is important to me. Do I understand that the coil package itself will likely run $40 + ?
Add them up:

Sunpak 422D with Minolta module $39.00

Sunpak remote cord $5.36

That's all you need. Minolta module will work fine. I have Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, and Olympus modules. They all work with Pentax bodies.

You don't have fancy stuffs like high speed, wireless, second curtain sync. But the flash works fine for most cases.
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
I'm looking at a 422d with PT 1d module on auction. Is the PT 1d a necessary item? If not , please tell me the advantages of having one.

thanks for all the good advice so far.
05-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manybobs Quote
I'm looking at a 422d with PT 1d module on auction. Is the PT 1d a necessary item? If not , please tell me the advantages of having one.
The 422D requires a module. Most modules for other camera brands, except for the one for Nikon with special hot foot (the one on top of the rewind crank), will work with Pentax DSLR.

The only advantage of PT-1D (or PT-2D) is that if the camera is in Av mode (and probably P and green too, I'm not sure), when the flash is charged, it set the shutter speed somewhere between 1/50 to 1/180, depending on the lens.

I normally use either X or M. In those modes, the PT-1D does not have any advantage over other modules.
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
I like my Pentax AF280T. You can usually get them for around $50. It is a auto flash with swivel and tilt.
ditto here. If you can find one, the AF280T is an excellent flash. Not the strongest-powered flash around but it never lets me down. And it's very easy to use with manual lenses. I'm loving mine, it does all I want a flash to do.
05-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
if you really want to spend as little as possible, you can get a little optical slave trigger on ebay or somewhere for under $10. that'll let you use all the older flashes you can find at thrift stores and flea markets that are super cheap because their trigger voltages are way too high to directly connect to dslrs. add a little dollar store tripod and you're all set.