Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Fill flash when you want SS above 180 - help!

Hi Folks

I've been doing some reading up on fill flash, and have been messing around with my radio triggers.

What I'm trying to figure out is how you can have the camera above a SS of 180, but can still fire the remote trigger for off camera flash, or fire camera flash at ~ -2 FEC.

I know you can drop the ISO down to 100 to drop SS down, but if your shooting in full sun and want to expose for the background, and want to keep say f/2.8 for blur how do you do this?

I'm shooting with a K-7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

c[_]

05-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to use high-speed sync, which is supported by Pentax and Metz flashes AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Apparently also supported by my Sigma EF-500 DG Super, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I suppose I can also use a CPL to drop SS also, which would enable me to use a larger f#. I can likely do the same with a NDF - of which I don't currently possess.

c[_]
05-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Apparently also supported by my Sigma EF-500 DG Super, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I suppose I can also use a CPL to drop SS also, which would enable me to use a larger f#. I can likely do the same with a NDF - of which I don't currently possess.

c[_]
Yes, you can use filters to reduce the ambient light. My preferred choice would be NDs, as polarizers have two glass plates and when they are not really needed, they shoudln't be used.

Ben

05-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can use HSS, the con is that the flash output will be much lower. You can also add a ND on the lens to reduce the shutter speed, just remember to compensate on the flash. If you have an assistance, a reflector to fill the shadow would be great cos you don't have to worry shutter speed. If you have another assistance, you can even add a diffuser on top of the model to cut off the harsh direct sunlight.
05-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Coffee, does your camera-flash setup have any issue with HSS mode using your radio triggers?
If the camera doesn't permit you to have a Tv of faster than 1/180 despite all the right settings for HSS, then the radio triggers may be the barrier. If so, try flipping to manual exposure mode on the camera and setting your own Tv and see how the flash goes.

I also have the Sigma EF500 and have used it in HSS mode, but as I don't have it in front of me I cannot explain where to find the function - I think it's arrived at by the sequential pressing of the mode button...
05-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Ash

I tried anything and everything to try to get the camera to fire the flash above ss of 180 and no go. This was the same whether I had the flash in the hot shoe, or via the trigger.

I shoot fully manual (flash and camera) all the time. Sometimes I will switch to AV mode if lighting is fairly consistent.

My concern isn't a deal breaker as for most shoots I will just shoot natural light and will occasionally use a reflector (in the field), but we do have a few weddings book already this summer and I know that using fill will be needed (because the times of ceremonies during the day).

Ash...if you can check for me and explain how to use the HSS I would really appreciate it. No rush.

Thanks

c[_]

05-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi coffee,
If you're asking specifically about the EF 500, then this is what I could find out about it: The Sigma EF 500 DG Super can be a bit frustrating to use in HSS mode because it'll switch this mode off anytime the shutter speed on the camera falls to 1/200 or slower. Use Tv or M mode so that the shutter speed won't change, set the shutter speed faster than 1/200, then put the Sigma in HSS mode by pressing the + or - button until "FP" appears in its LCD display.

Here's its manual in case you're looking for a more in depth explanation: Sigma Flashes Overview | SigmaPhoto.com and a cheat-sheet here: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/ef500cheatsheet-a4.pdf
05-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ash! I'll give it a go and see what happens...

c[_]
05-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Coffee, does your camera-flash setup have any issue with HSS mode using your radio triggers?
If the camera doesn't permit you to have a Tv of faster than 1/180 despite all the right settings for HSS, then the radio triggers may be the barrier. If so, try flipping to manual exposure mode on the camera and setting your own Tv and see how the flash goes.

I also have the Sigma EF500 and have used it in HSS mode, but as I don't have it in front of me I cannot explain where to find the function - I think it's arrived at by the sequential pressing of the mode button...
There are no radio triggers that support HSS. Because there are no triggers that speak P-TTL, the camera will never fire the trigger above 1/180th.
05-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I was able to get the flash to fire in HS (I randomly chose 1/640 SS) using the FP mode Ash. I suspected that I might see a portion of the frame with a higher level of exposure because of the shutter, but I actually couldn't tell the difference between one shot that the flash went off on and one that I had it turned off for (my base rate image). This was done with the flash in the shoe.

I think I'll try to fiddle around some more, but in all likelihood I'll more than likely just use a CPL if it's really sunny (which I'm inclined to do anyway) to assist in dropping the SS down a bit.

Thanks

c[_]

P.S. Why is using a flash (learning to use a flash) such a pain in the ass?!?
05-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just came across this link.

1/8000th flash sync with Broncolor Mobil and Canon 5D mk2 | Prophotonut
05-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK, you cannot use HHS and wireless flash with the built-in (aka pop-up) flash. You need *two* external flashes for this to work: 1 as "master" on the camera (in HSS mode), and another as P-TTL slave (also in HSS mode, I guess).
05-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Holy crap....that's exactly what I'm looking to do! Very ingenious too. I don't need 1/8000 speeds, but 1/1000, or even 1/640 would be great.

Alas, I don't have that kind of equipment either.

c[_]

I was at the beach today doing some fill in shots with my kids in full sun. With CPL and shutter down to 1/160 I was having to shoot @ f11'ish. Certainly not ideal when I rarely ever shoot above f5.6...
05-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
AFAIK, you cannot use HHS and wireless flash with the built-in (aka pop-up) flash. You need *two* external flashes for this to work: 1 as "master" on the camera (in HSS mode), and another as P-TTL slave (also in HSS mode, I guess).
I'm not looking to use the pop up flash at all. Off camera flash only.

I'd rather dig my eyes out with a dull plastic spoon than use the on-board flash

c[_]