Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D and Flash Exposure

For the last couple of months I've been spending quite a bit of time in sthe studio using strobes. I'm still trying to master light set up, but, another problem is bugging me.

When I set up to use studio flash, I've been setting custom white balance in my K20D and that seems to be working quite well.

I have a sekonic flash meter with which I've been setting exposure. And, I've been shooting manual.

Even with all of that, and my settings according to my flash meter readings, I seem to always be getting about 1/2 - 1 stop of under-exposure. Using all of the tolls to get a proper exposure, you'd think I'd be getting it right. And, this isn't just one or two every once in a while. It seems to be the norm.

Is it just Me??? or, is the commonplace with the K20D.

05-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have the K20, so I don't really know the answer to your problem.

Just a question: Do you know for sure that your flash meter is accurate?

I currently have a Minolta IV F. I also used to have a Vivitar 230 LX.

I test them with my K10Ds and K7. The exposure is right on.
05-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #3

In the past when I have done studio work with film for class assignments, using the meter reading would give me slightly thin (underexposed) negatives. I would typically use 400iso film, and after getting these results, I began setting the ISO in the meter about 1/2 stop less (in this case, I would set the meter to 320iso instead of 400). Perhaps trying something like this would yield you more acceptable results.