Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I'm curious - has anyone tried this with a K-7 or (even better) a K-5?

I still need to experiment more, but it seems that on the K-5, my options seem to be "massive overexposure" with no change regardless of trimpot setting for nearly all of the trimpot's travel, except ONE region where major underexposure occurs (maybe where the trimpot is "resetting" since it doesn't have end-stops?)

On the K20 I had consistent change in exposure as I dialed the trimpot CW or CCW until I crossed the "reset point" of the trimpot and started again.

01-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I'm curious - has anyone tried this with a K-7 or (even better) a K-5?

I still need to experiment more, but it seems that on the K-5, my options seem to be "massive overexposure" with no change regardless of trimpot setting for nearly all of the trimpot's travel, except ONE region where major underexposure occurs (maybe where the trimpot is "resetting" since it doesn't have end-stops?)

On the K20 I had consistent change in exposure as I dialed the trimpot CW or CCW until I crossed the "reset point" of the trimpot and started again.
Well that is not encouraging news. I'm hoping to upgrade from my K20D, to a K5 this year... (Though definitely not a deal-breaker!)
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Well that is not encouraging news. I'm hoping to upgrade from my K20D, to a K5 this year... (Though definitely not a deal-breaker!)
Don't worry - problem existed between viewfinder and couch. (improper bounce configuration for that room, the camera was able to see direct flash contribution on the ceiling and that FUBARed everything)

The adjustment DOES work on the K-5.
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool! Thanks Entropy!

01-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting thread.

I have a few questions:

When you adjust the trimpot, did you have camera body measurement in spot or center weight or average?

I guess that you have a histogram of manual power as reference. As for reference, is it 1/2 power? I am consider +1 as full power.
01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Very interesting thread.

I have a few questions:

When you adjust the trimpot, did you have camera body measurement in spot or center weight or average?

I guess that you have a histogram of manual power as reference. As for reference, is it 1/2 power? I am consider +1 as full power.
I haven't experimented with the K-5, but my experience with the K10 and K20 was that spot/CW/matrix setting on the camera is ignored when taking flash pictures.

+1 FEC is NOT full power - it's just one stop overexposed if the flash is adjusted correctly. Full power is when the flash is set to Manual and 1/1 power - this trimpot does not adjust that behavior in any way, shape, or form.

Really in my case after I started adjusting, I took a screwdriver around with me and frequently adjusted it until I was happy with where things were landing. Mine may, if anything, be dialed a bit "hot", partly because we have an FEC range of -2 to +1, so there is more room for dialing down a flash that overexposes.

(Previously, my 540 would routinely underexpose even with +1 FEC dialed in.)
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
partly because we have an FEC range of -2 to +1, so there is more room for dialing down a flash that overexposes.
Ok, I understand.

I haven't experimented with the K-5, but my experience with the K10 and K20 was that spot/CW/matrix setting on the camera is ignored when taking flash pictures.
Isn't it a bit wrong when the camera ignore the preflash measurement in p-ttl?

01-06-2011, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Ok, I understand.

Isn't it a bit wrong when the camera ignore the preflash measurement in p-ttl?
They don't ignore the preflash measurement - they just seem to ignore the current exposure metering mode when performing the preflash measurement.

May be different on the K-5, but with the 10/20, spot metering on a matte black bag (should result in massive overexposure) produced results no different than matrix metering on a scene with said bag but lots of white.