Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar ring flash with Pentax K20 help.

Hi guys,
Anyone using the Vivitar 6000 AF Macro Ring Flash (Pentax version) on a K20?
I checked the contact pin voltage, it seems safe at 7.6 volts.
I understand that this flash was designed for certain film Pentax cameras but was hopeful that it could be used on my K20 DSLR.
Any information is welcome, thanks in advance.
Len

06-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

From what I know, the Vivitar 6000AF is TTL only. It can be used with your K20, but will fire at full power.

So you'll have to set the shutter speed at 1/180 sec or slower, and set the aperture and the ISO setting according to the distance from the flash to the object. It's not the end of the world, but is clumsy, especially when the flash does not have variable output settings.

If you have it already, learn how to use it. If you are looking to buy, my suggestion is to wait for a flash that has variable output settings and auto (e.g. Sunpak DX-8R).
06-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the information.
I did just buy this, but missed the bit about TTL only.
My macro lens is a "M" series Pentax so I use this in the manual position anyway...
I was a little concerned about the extra two pins on the base of this flash, not wanting to cause damage to my camera I thought it best to ask here first to see if anyone was having any success with this combination...
Thanks
Len
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Applianceguy Quote
Thanks for the information.
I did just buy this, but missed the bit about TTL only.
My macro lens is a "M" series Pentax so I use this in the manual position anyway...
I was a little concerned about the extra two pins on the base of this flash, not wanting to cause damage to my camera I thought it best to ask here first to see if anyone was having any success with this combination...
Thanks
Len
If it is an old Pentax version, the extra pins do no harm. Perhaps you get even the flash ready signal in your viewfinder. But there is ofcourse no flash control and you'll have to adjust your aperture manually to a value that gives good results.

Ben