Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Metz, LumoPro, P-TTL and Strobist

I'm trying to settle on a pair of flashes to buy for Stobist-style photography, and I'm debating the merits of wireless P-TTL versus full manual control.

I currently own one Sigma EF-500 DG Super. It's a decent flash, but one key limitation is that I can't put the flash in manual mode and trigger it wirelessly — the flash erroneously fires too early, triggered by the camera's preflash. It works correctly in P-TTL mode, but not in manual mode. This is a severe limitation.

I also own a set of Cactus wireless triggers, so I could set the flash to fire manually this way. But the Sigma goes to sleep after 90 seconds of inactivity when attached to the radio receiver. This is supremely annoying.

I want to step up my game, and learn to work with more flashes. It seems that buying another Sigma is not a good choice for me. So, I am considering two options: A pair of Metz 48-AF1's or a pair of LumoPro LP160's.

Pros and cons for the Metz: The Metz is a decent flash that supports P-TTL. The price is not too high. EV Comp on the flash is +3 to -3, which is very flexible. The downside: The Metz cannot be set to manual mode and be triggered wirelessly.

Pros and cons for the LumoPro: The LumoPro is much brighter than the Metz, has full manual control, is solidly-built, and is really inexpensive. It also has a setting to ignore TTL preflashes. On the downside: No P-TTL support.

My question: I'm almost sold on the idea of going for the LumoPro's. But I'm not sure if I'll be trapping myself into a situation where I'll need P-TTL and can't get it (except from the Sigma I already own). Can anyone provide some insight from their own experience shooting Strobist-style?

06-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Strobist style almost always means no TTL, full manual.

If you have one for the run and gun shooting (weddings, parties, etc.), you should be all set. Buy manual for the rest...
06-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
The downside: The Metz cannot be set to manual mode and be triggered wirelessly.
But you already have the wireless triggers and the Metz 48 AF-1 has a manual mode, also can disable its auto power off, so there is no issue. On the plus side, manual is 1/1 to 1/128 and wireless P-TTL with HSS. For $60 over the cost of the L160, that's not bad.

Personally I think $160 is a bit much for a manual flash. I've been picking up Quantaray DSZ PZ-1 / Promaster 7000M flashes for under $20 that have many of the same features of the L160. They are missing the sync ports and that's about it as far as I can tell. I don't really need the sync ports as I'm using the poverty wizards that have hot shoes. I definitely not missing the $140.

Flickr: Discussing How To: Modding a 1/8" (3.5mm) PC Port into Quantaray DSZ PZ-1 Flash in Strobist.com

Thank you
Russell
06-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Kenyee, Russell — Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll be happy with the one P-TTL flash and manual for the rest.

Russell, where are you picking up flashes like the Promaster 7000M for $20? I see them for $200 and up. What about such things as pulse duration and recharge time? Some cheaper flashes have long pulses, and you don't get the full power of the light at higher shutter speed.

06-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
Russell, where are you picking up flashes like the Promaster 7000M for $20? I see them for $200 and up. What about such things as pulse duration and recharge time? Some cheaper flashes have long pulses, and you don't get the full power of the light at higher shutter speed.
Just shop ebay and be patient, I pick one up every few months. Don't buy the Pentax version of this flash to work with radio triggers unless you are willing to do the pc port mod. The Pentax version uses one of the other pins to actually fire the flash. Works very well on the camera as a manual flash or as a remote optical slave however. Don't buy the MINOLTA version as it doesn't work even with a mount adapter, can't be used as an optical slave either.

You can read the spec in the ProMaster 7000M manual. 1/1000 to 1/30,000 for flash duration, 0.3 to 10 seconds for recharge time. I can't say I've ever seen 10 seconds, but maybe this is with the strobe function which I have never used.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Excellent, Russell. Thanks again for the input.