Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #1

AF360FGZ Question- Why Is There no SS (Slow Sync) Mode?

I am sure there is an obvious reason/answer, but why is there a ss (slow sync) mode on the built-in flash on my K-10, but no ss setting on my external af360fgz flash?

I like the effect with my built-in on camera flash, how can I accomplish this with my af360gz flash?

Thanks,

Tom

06-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't you just lower the shutter speed and shoot? The x sync is 1/180s, so anything below that will still benefit from the flash.
06-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Isn't that a camera setting? If you hit the function button, it should allow you to choose flash options and choose slow speed sync there. Then, just make certain that you have a shutter speed that is slower than 1/180 second.
06-20-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Slow Sync is merely a function of how the camera operates. The flash still operates the same.
Where-as high-speed-sync requires the flash to behave differently and requires you to move the switch on the flash to allow that to happen.

FYI, the internal pop-up flash likely does not support "second curtain" flash, where the af360 & af540 will. If you have moving subjects, look into what that mode can do for you -- if you're not already familiar with the concept.

06-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is, (it's a camera function)
and trailing/second curtain flash works with both built-in and external flashes -

I know...
only in the last possible resort -
read the f***ing manual
06-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah I thought it was, but when I try it on my K10D the setting is grayed out. Must be something else going oddly. (The K10D is now my backup camera with no lens... perhaps that disables the feature??)

Anyway, thanks for the info. The manual is always a good place to go.
Its juts so darned hard to admit that... 8)
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to the accessories forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: