Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Promaster Macrolume TTL Flash, Macro Ring Flas

Hi folks! Just got this baby for my Macro needs. Have been trying to to use it in auto mode but it doesn't seem to like it. Does TTL mean i Have to use it manually.?
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!

06-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check which digital module

I used to manage a Pro Group camera store. The first digital modules were designed for the *istD camera and may not work properly with your camera. Check that and another possibility is that if you use "close-up" mode the camera may chose an aperture that is too wide. Try using aperture priority or manual and set the aperture to f/11 or 16. The internal camera flash metering should still work even though you are manually setting a lens opening.
06-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I used to manage a Pro Group camera store. The first digital modules were designed for the *istD camera and may not work properly with your camera. Check that and another possibility is that if you use "close-up" mode the camera may chose an aperture that is too wide. Try using aperture priority or manual and set the aperture to f/11 or 16. The internal camera flash metering should still work even though you are manually setting a lens opening.
Yes sir, they made sure that the module they gave me will work with the K20. At least thats what they told me! here

thanks
06-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by golfcoachnoel Quote
Yes sir, they made sure that the module they gave me will work with the K20. At least thats what they told me! here

thanks
What module did you get?
If it is the digital one, then it doesn't work good since it would do TTL and Pentax is P-TTL..not unless you use the *istD series which are TTL.
The auto-tyristor module works best with the macrolume since it is the eye that sees the light and cuts the output.
You also have to adjust your aperture accordingly to get the best possible exposure since the macrolume being TTL fires at full power and tends to overexpose.
If you want you can place additional diffusers on the face of the ring itself to reduce the power of the flash since the adjustments at the sides of the face aren't enough to fully weaken the flash output if you are too close doing macro work.

06-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
What module did you get?
If it is the digital one, then it doesn't work good since it would do TTL and Pentax is P-TTL..not unless you use the *istD series which are TTL.
The auto-tyristor module works best with the macrolume since it is the eye that sees the light and cuts the output.
You also have to adjust your aperture accordingly to get the best possible exposure since the macrolume being TTL fires at full power and tends to overexpose.
If you want you can place additional diffusers on the face of the ring itself to reduce the power of the flash since the adjustments at the sides of the face aren't enough to fully weaken the flash output if you are too close doing macro work.
Hi Gerry! Wow! This is really disappointing, those guys at Boots Camera told me it would work perfectly with my K20..Hmmm..I guess if I decide to keep it, it would just be a manual macro flash (okay in cguro here). Thanks so much for the advice its much appreciated. Yes..Pnoy an Pnoy here and yes marunong kA mag tagalog. Retired an about 4 years ago and came back home. Was in CA for 30 years..!!! Hehehe

PS. Let stay in touch...Whats up with you there?
06-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Macrolume and 2 modules for it. There is a thread here somewhere where a person took the module for the digital Macrolume and took a xacto knife to the tab and used it on the earlier version to get P-ttl. I haven't tried that yet. The module is ~$50.

Edit: Here are 2 posts

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1067430-post7.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1067463-post9.html
06-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by golfcoachnoel Quote
Hi Gerry! Wow! This is really disappointing, those guys at Boots Camera told me it would work perfectly with my K20..Hmmm..I guess if I decide to keep it, it would just be a manual macro flash (okay in cguro here). Thanks so much for the advice its much appreciated. Yes..Pnoy an Pnoy here and yes marunong kA mag tagalog. Retired an about 4 years ago and came back home. Was in CA for 30 years..!!! Hehehe

PS. Let stay in touch...Whats up with you there?
I use it as a manual macro flash. Still works..just kinda big and intimidating..hehe.
Just get the other module, it would work better. Just make sure you get the Pentax kind.
This is how it would look.
BTW, there is another macrolume for digital but very expensive.
With that digital macrolume the 5050DX module would work on the K20D.
I actually have both modules that is why I know which works best.
I thought that 5050DX was best so that was what I bought first, then I experimented on the auto-thyristor module and it worked better.
Now, I have both modules.
I still go home yearly sa Pinas and I see that you're kinda based in Batangas?
My hometown there is UPLB.

Attached Images

06-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have the Macrolume and 2 modules for it. There is a thread here somewhere where a person took the module for the digital Macrolume and took a xacto knife to the tab and used it on the earlier version to get P-ttl. I haven't tried that yet. The module is ~$50.

Edit: Here are 2 posts

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1067430-post7.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1067463-post9.html
I actually did this and it still doesn't do P-TTL.
There is something that has to be programmed or done with the internal circuit.
What will happen would be that the 5050DX would be able to fit and mount and work (fires)..but sadly not "fully" work (as in dedicated).
The auto-thyristor kinda worked better because you can power it down.

Last edited by GerryL; 06-29-2010 at 10:37 AM.
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I actually did this and it still doesn't do P-TTL.
There is something that has to be programmed or done with the internal circuit.
What will happen would be that the 5050DX would be able to fit and mount and work (fires)..but sadly not "fully" work (as in dedicated).
The auto-thyristor kinda worked better because you can power it down.
Thanks for the info. Since I have the older AF module and the thyristor module, there is no point in my getting the new module and modifying it.
06-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Thanks for the info. Since I have the older AF module and the thyristor module, there is no point in my getting the new module and modifying it.
Yep! The plastic is easy to cut and just an additional apendage like one step of stair rung the runs the whole length of the base of the contacts.
It acts like a wedge to prevent flush mounting of the 5050DXR to non-digital Promaster flashes.
Once taken off the module mounts pretty much the same.
Doesn't do P-TTL on non P-TTL flash heads as has been with previous observations since the flash output is still pretty powerful.
If it does real P-TTL then the output should be matched with the perceived exposure of the camera.
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

..oh yeah, I also tried this with a regular TTL Promaster head and attached the modified 5050DXR..it still didn't do P-TTL so I was sure that just attaching the 5050DXR to regular Promaster flashes isn't enough to convert that flash in question to P-TTL.